X10 mp for present to mum? Views?General

Last Updated:

1. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

So for Xmas I've been thinking about introducing my mum to her first smartphone! She's had a bashed up nokia for years, and so it's the perfect time.

She definately won't be a poweruser, but she catches onto things fairly quickly, assuming there isn't a big learning curve - so in light of that I was wondering if people could give me their views on their X10 mini pro?

Obviously being owners, you're going to really like it. But if you could try and approach it objectively from someone who's never owned anything like a smartphone that'd be great!

Some things I'd be interested to know I suppose:

- The interface. I had a play with the X8 in a shop (only "X" they had on demo) and I really liked it. But it was only a short play and I only just checked out the up/down/left/right screen swiping & messaging. How easy is it to replace the "corner bubbles", access and find setting etc etc?
    - The screen. How is it? Texts, font, responsiveness etc.
    - Internals. She's likely to download some casual games - how does it get on with them?
    - Battery. Will it easily last a day? I dunno if she'll have data on her plan for the first while too btw..
    - The keyboard?
    - Anything else!

Cheers

EDIT: Bluetooth! Completely forgot about that. She has her nokia linked to her Nissan Qashqai....I think that feature is almost a must. How is the X10's bluetooth??

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I have the X8 on loan at the moment which as you will now know from playing with it, is the same as the mini's screen wise. I also have the X10 which is mine and to be fair the X8 competes in most areas.

The set up is nice and straight forward, the corners are easily replaced to whatever you want to put there. Bluetooth was a bit of an issue in so far as file transfer but there is an app that gets round it whilst on 1.6 and the 2.1 update I believe has sorted it out. My phones connect quite happily with my Nissan Note so can't see a problem there, the only downside and word of warning is that if you have Bluetooth on all the time it is a battery drainer so you have to remember to switch it on in the phone when you get in the car and connect them again, altho once the initial pairing is done it is only a matter of finding the phone on the radio dial access (assuming the Qashquai is the same or similiar) and selecting connect. I do it out of habit now so not a problem to me.

The battery out of the box on these phones can be a bit rubbish for the first few days but once you have charged/discharged a couple of times they are fine. If your Mum isn't going to be using data then her battery will happily last a couple of days I would think. It is defo 3g use that eats it up. My X8 doesn't have a data package and just casual use and using it to seek answers on the forums it lasts three days plus, connecting via wifi when I need to go online or download apps.

The rest I will leave in the hands of the mini users for a more specific take on the phone.

Hope it helped a bit anyway.

3. spottyelephant

Ok cool cheers.

Another thing I just thought about was the apps - generally speaking, do people find that 'most' work? Or is there a 50/50 chance it won't due to the screen size?

4. brm170

brm170 New Member

hello

thought i would try and help seing as i am a 1st time smart phone user as i have a nokia 8210 and just bought a mini pro...

i will be honest that it is very easy to use once you have played with it for a bit took me a day of playing to know where things where etc, and with you using the forum will be easy for you to help out with apps she might use or find useful...

since i updated the software to 2.1 (when on 1.6 i wasnt liking the phone if i am honest) the phone is completely different and i wouldnt change it for anything as love it now...

all the apps i have downloaded have worked and so far all the games have to, some of games are a bit hard to play but in my opinion these will be games your mum might not be downloading ie nhl hockey and shoot them ups etc i have angry birds (very addictive) chess, sudoko, solitaire, monopoly and few other mind games/board games and have had no issues yet...

overall as a new user it is easy to use and very straight forward and i must say very easy to make user friendly for each individual, corners are easy as its just a long press and slide to move icons about...

keyboard is easy to use and not hard i played on this for 20 mins to make sure for writing emails and txts etc and was amazed how easy i found using it with 2 thumbs....

5. andrea.iskandar

andrea.iskandar Member

Hi spottyelephant

For me thus far the main concern is the battery life. I've been using Xperia X10 mini pro for about a week and I need to charge it 3-4 x a day. Even if I don't use the phone at all (no calls, no texting, all connectivity features [bluetooth, GPS, wi-fi, etc.] turned off), I would loss 25% of the battery power every 6 hours. So I won't go to bed with less than 50% battery for it would have no power to ring the alarm.

I still enjoy the phone though, because most of the days I stay indoors (home, office) where electricity outlets are within reach. When I have outdoor activities more than 6 hours, though, I'll bring another phone with me.

So if your Mom travels a lot away from electricity outlets, I'd not suggest this phone. If you choose to buy it anyway, make sure to install Advanced Task Killer first. It's available from Android Market.

Hope this helps.

6. rosered

Surely if you charge your phone over night you then have enough juice to last through the day? If you are losing 25% every six hours then even with only 6 hours overnight sleep you would only be going to be on 25%.

Every smart phone that I know, including iPhone needs charging over night if you are using the data capabilities of it. They are to be viewed as a small computer not just as a phone.

7. andrea.iskandar

andrea.iskandar Member

Hi rosered

The complete sentence was:
    "Even if I don't use the phone at all (no calls, no texting, all connectivity features [bluetooth, GPS, wi-fi, etc.] turned off), I would loss 25% of the battery power every 6 hours."

Surely I need to make phone calls & send/receive text messages, make check-ins on Foursquare, browse the Internet, etc. ... right? :) Under normal use, the phone battery won't last more than 6 hours. I do know that we need to charge BB's and iPhones 2x a day - under normal use. But this Xperia (or *MY* Xperia, in this case), it won't suffice to charge it just 2x a day. It needs to be charged at least 3x a day.

8. rosered

Sorry misunderstood! I would expect a phone to last the day with normal usage so something is clearly not right with your unit. I am thinking about my X10/X8, son's LG and hubby's iphone 3gs out of those only the son kills his phone during the day but that is playing games and music constantly.

Have you got the latest update for 2.1? Have you tried running a repair on SEUS no matter which version of Android you have.

Do you have any apps added? Occasionally an app can eat your battery - I had mega problems with two different battery widgets that killed my phone when all I was trying to do was keep an eye on the battery.

Not sure what Foursquare is? Do you have the screen brightness not on full? Do you only poll for updates on Facebook/Twitter/Email very frequently / hourly ?

Maybe your usage is heavier than what I would deem normal but it didn't sound outlandish by what you have mentioned.

9. ison_machine

ison_machine Well-Known Member

i just like to add,
    using the 3G / HSDPA as data connection frequently will likely cause you some juice...you can even notice that the back casing is getting warm.
    You can turn off the data traffic when not in use or if you want to automatically switching when the screen is on, try using the app "juice defender".
    try turning off, autosync and background data.
    i think foursquare gets your location so it will eat up some data as well as battery.
    taskillers should help also.
    some apps also causing some battery problems so try to observe it once you install.
    automatic updates like in timescape i suggest u turn it to manual.
    in the time being, you can try draining your battery to empty then charge it for about 8 hrs and see if it will have some improvements.
    and also, in android 2.1 when your are charging, don't follow the 100% sign on the battery or the green light indicator rather look at the battery on the the notification bar. the charging symbol will be gone once fully charged.
    i have a decent more than 24hrs on my personal usage.

hope it helps you.

10. spottyelephant

Ok thanks all, I've decided to get it for her!

I had a play with one in the store too, it's designed WAY better than I expected!

The only issue I have to resolve now is surrounding the phone plan she's on - a rep from her Network Provider told me she'd need to change plans to use the phone (up an extra