X10 Not connecting to hidden networkGeneral

Last Updated:

1. kamov23

kamov23 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi!
    So, There is an issue with my X10.
    We have a secure (password protected) wireless network at home which is hidden. Now the weird thing is that the x10 doesn't connect to it.

When I get a new wireless device, I get the MAC address of the device, and copy it into the wireless manager, so that it's allowed to access the network. Then, i register the same MAC address into the list of machines on the network. Then I set the network to broadcast the SSID, it's still protected, but now everyone can see that it's there. Afterward, I plug the password into the device, and it's connected. Lastly, I stop broadcasting of the SSID, but the machine that was recently added now recognises the network, even though it's hidden. Even after the device has been disconnected, it will still see the network, and be able to connect to it.

The weird thing, is that I have done this for all of the wireless devices, even the X10. Everything is fine, until I make the network hidden again. Then, even though the network is saved, it says "out of range".
    This has only happened with the X10. Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be?

Advertisement
  2. morgie

morgie New Member

Hi - any update on this one? I'm having the same problem with an Xperia X10 Mini. On my HTC Desire I was able to solve the problem by installing "Hidden SSID Enabler", however this app doesn't seem to be compatible with the Xperia X10 Mini. Any advice appreciated, don't want to have to broadcast the SSID just because of this one device. Thanks!

3. aljorari

aljorari New Member

Same problem here...anyone? <glad I'm not the only one>

4. beau420

beau420 Well-Known Member

Worked fine at my buddies house. Not broadcasting his SSID....uses WPA/PSK/AES with a passphrase obviously.

I had to turn SSID on....then connected....then turned SSID off. Then as soon as the wireless on the phone went to sleep....or I wanted to connect again it didn't work.

Solution...keep broadcasting the SSID...change the broadcast interval....change your password every few days if you are really paranoid. I had to convince my buddy to leave his SSID broadcasting.

Fact is, if someone wants to hack into your wireless signal then can with the SSID being broadcast or not. Easier if the SSID is broadcast and doesn't require you to copy your MAC, but still it is possible.

Guess it doesn't address the problem, but it is a fix.