• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi Its time for me to get a new phone since my old blackberry curve just died. I am considering the iPhone 4 and the xperia x10 .

These are the following things I want in a smartphone;

-720p video capture
-at least full day on charge battery life
- video calling with rear or front camera (x10 has rear camera, can I use tht looking into a mirror)
- elegant solid feel
- games to pass time (I spend 1.5 hours on subways or transit every day)
-wifi tethering

Which cellphone would you guys recommend and why?

i think your going to get a 1 sided answer here especially when you post in a sony x10 forum lol...just like if you posted the same question in a apple iphone forum...they will all choose iphone!!

Me being honest here...i have a x10 and even though i am happy with it i wished i had the iphone 4 - i think it just looks the business and alot more "up to date" in FW etc

As my x10 was an upgrade once the iphone comes out on PAYG i am going to buy one.

The x10 will update to android 2.1 later this year (i think i will be next year as SE updates are ALWAYS delayed) but the android platform is already on 2.2...so there going to update to a platform that most manufactures are using now!! but by then maybe the android platform will be even further advanced??

With all the stuff you want to do on it eg: games, video calling etc i think you will be lucky to get a day out of the battery and think of it...also how daft will you look using a mirror to use video calling when the iphone already does it!!

Also i am not sure if the x10 does 720p capture....dont think it does to be honest

I know what i would go for but the choice is your and what you think of the phones

btw i hate apple, never had an apple so wanting one (to me) really says something!!

Upvote 0
To be fair though if the X10 gets 2.2 then it will be a strong contender to the ip4 and it will be getting 720 video recording when the update comes out at the back end of September but there are better android phones than the X10 so maybe look around a bit more.

IMO any phone with 2.2 will give you what you want more than an ip4, off the top of my head Android 2.2 will give you the ability to turn the phone into a wifi hotspot so you dont need to tether the the phone just link your laptop to it the way you would to any wifi router and of course you have flash 10.1 which the ip4 will never get as Mr Jobs has said he wont allow the iphone to have it as flash has no place on a phone. But what he meant was "Your not getting flash as it will allow you to watch music videos and play games online and I will lose out on app sales and money if I cant charge you to play games and watch music videos on my phone"

So what ever you get dont get an iphone 4 but then you are on an android forum and we like the option to do what we want to and put on our phones not what one bloke in an office thinks we should have.

Upvote 0
The X10 has all those things, 720 capture after 3q update. The videocalling is possible over wifi with iphone, and with x10 over phone. But if you asking about videocalling, I dont really take your question seriously. That is such a useless feature.

If it is a person you know you will get tired of seeing their face. I used video skype for a while, but what is the use? Perhaps taking a picture of the surroundings is more fun on videocalling.

The X10 screen is much bigger than iphone 4 making it better for video, but giving shorter battery life.

The main difference is that any android phone is much freer to use. Ie you can get tethering with x10, not with iphone. You can transfer files between different apps easily on android. I love that.

So go for X10, or a newer android phone if there is one with a camera just as good.

Upvote 0
If video calling is a big issue, the iphone is not the phone for you. It's video calling.. sorry 'facetime' is awful.

IMO i preferred the 3GS to the iphone 4 but meh. In reality it's better for battery life, better for apps, has a better screen etc. I'd still prefer my X10.

yes i have a x10 and a 3gs, but will never ever buy a iphone 4 it's ugly and many bugs right now

Upvote 0
iphone you have to use itunes ,,, yuk,,,

drag and drop my music is a winner for me,,,

export my contacts to sim,, x10 wins,,

as for battery life its not great ,, but neither is iphone,, but x10 i can swap out battery or get larger capacity battery,,, not iphone,,,

i think the only useful thing that x10 is lacking is no multi touch now or ever,, ( someone dropped the ball there)

the speed of the x10 make my iphone look like its standing still,,,,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones