X10 sending text messages randomly, by itselfSupport

Last Updated:

1. stocker

stocker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks,
    I have been having a problem recently with my phone sending text messages to random nonsensical numbers. i.e. I get a message failure because the phone tried to text "0110000100000" which is obviously not a phone number. I had installed handcent almost immeadiatly upon getting the phone. So I tried uninstalling it and putting on chomp. Still have the same problem. It seems to help if I use my task killer after using the sms app.

I am running the original firmware that came on the phone from Rogers, as everytime I use pc companion, it tells me i am up to date, and the update service locks up my computer (and my laptop and my wife's netbook).

Anyone have any ideas on what to try? I would rather not do a factory reset, but I am getting pretty close.

Advertisement
  2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

You can go through all the apps you have and see which ones gave permission to view/send SMS and uninstall them all. If you don't get any issues afterwards, then you know it was one of the apps and slowly install each one back again. You can uninstall those apps one at a time to see which one is the culprit. Cause either your stock SMS messanger app has gone whack or a 3rd app is doing this.

stocker likes this.
  3. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

I don't know whether this has anything to do with it, but when I installed Handcent, it was doing the same thing, and if I remember right, it was because the pop up was coming up on my phone, over the lock screen, while it was in my pocket, and I ended up sending strange messages to people without even asking it to! Lol.

Try settings under popups, in notification settings, and make sure popups don't turn screen on, and check that pop ups don't show over the lock screen.

Might help?

Good luck.

rosered likes this.
  4. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Thats good advice, I too use handcent and hadn't thought about that quick reply pop up because you are absolutely right you don't have to have the screen unlocked to use it.

Thanks for the tip.

5. biffsmash

My pleasure :) Hope it helps.

6. stocker

yeah, I will check that, but my phone is sending messages to complete nonsensical numbers. Does handcent try to resend failed messages? Is there an option for this?

7. biffsmash

Hmm I can't find an option like that but i'm not sure whether the phone just automatically tries to resend them.

With mine, when it was doing it, because the pop up was unlocking the phone, it was doing all sorts of things, phoneing people, texting strange messages around, and messaging people who hadn't popped up on screen,
    so maybe its opening the keyboard, and your leg is accidentally typing strange numbers lol.

How wierd, talking about our legs and our phones texting people behind our backs lol!

The last message to my bro was something like "omfnhwgfrewgf ewrkgnerghre" To which he replied, "what language is that?!" lol

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out in the end! :)

8. rosered

We had a thread like this before.... hmmm, I think I decided that it was you boys and your trouser departments that were the problem. Something was being overactive on the touch screen:eek::D

tiggerlator likes this.
  9. Joefloater

Joefloater Active Member

I had the exact same problem using Handcent with the popup on, except I use swype and it won't do random letters it picks words. All the texts it sent were almost coherent but still on the crazy side, my wife thought I was texting other women when they got sent to her :eek:. I turned the popup off and all is good, no more buttexting.

10. Hunted

Hunted Well-Known Member

hahaha cheeky.. i like it :D

11. stocker

Well, my phone sent 13 text messages yesterday sitting on a shelf. Fortunately I upgraded my text plan. :D I have now set my task killer (ES) to kill all when the screen goes black. As of 4pm yesterday, nothing has been sent. So, while not root cause, it seems to have solved the problem for now. Hopefully the update to 2.1 will solve this issue permanently.

12. riggsuk

riggsuk Member

Took my x10 out of my pocket monday to find it texting my sister by itself. Best thing was the keyboard was typing random characters as i watched :)

13. Roze

:eek:
    ROFL ...nice :D

14. stocker

Well the task killer thing didn't work. chewed my battery up in about 6 hours. Have resorted to turning off the phone when I am not using it. I think my final solution will be to get an unlimited text plan. :D

15. Roze

haha...well before you do, do a factory reset :p

16. Jeridroid

Jeridroid New Member

Nope sometimes is a virus.
    Is a apk file , 13kb .
    NAME: Dl11132

17. stocker

I will look for that. Thanks.

18. tiggerlator

tiggerlator Well-Known Member

Lol rosered, very cheeky, do you know what boys have in their pockets then :p

19. rosered

I couldn't possibly comment on the grounds that I might incriminate myself:D