X10 slated for 2.1 on week 38 (Overseas)Support

Last Updated:

1. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Came across the following info regarding our pending upgrade to X10:

"Sony Ericsson Spain has confirmed on their Facebook channel that the Android 2.1 (Eclair) update for the Xperia X10 will launch during week 38 (20th to 26th September). That fits with the

Advertisement
  2. hal752

hal752 Well-Known Member

It's the same in the U.K, SE uk stated on twitter that the 2.1 update will be realsed at the end of september. Im sure it will be close to the same worldwide. Carriers might take a little longer to add there own stuff though =/

gunny5821 likes this.
  3. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

I wish I had the strength to wait a couple of weeks after it's available to see if there are major bugs. Not gonna happen.

4. KingDong

KingDong Well-Known Member

Vodafone will take like an extra 2 months or something stupid. i'm still stuck with 024...

5. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Why do the flaming carriers have to put on their stuff, it is on the whole a pile poo anyway. Mind you SE are just as bad, I don't want and will never want to use Moxier yet I have 5 flipping icons in my app drawer for them. Why do I have two applications to browse internet as well? Ooooooh, don't get me started!! (And yes I know I could root it but I am a big coward and want my warranty!)

6. ankh

ankh Well-Known Member

Im with Orange and Im on 020. It sucks. My mates on Virgin and he had 026. When 2.1 is released he will get it before me and I'll get it sometime maybe Christmas if Im lucky

7. KingDong

KingDong Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought, i do want to debrand but i don't want to void my warranty. As i pay monthly for it, i was looking at the SE X10 forum on the Vodafone website and heres what they had to say after someone posted the link to the twitter about the update and someone complaining about Voda taking the p*** with releasing the updates.

8. Duncs

Duncs Well-Known Member

Quickie to try and put a couple of minds at ease ;)

KingDong it is ok to debrand and loose voda warranty as the phone is still covered by se manufacturers warranty, voda would only send it to them anyway to fix problems.

rosered, it is equally as safe to root the device as it is very easy to unroot/go back to standard by just performing a repair with the seus which will completely reflash the phone back to standard. The first time i rooted mine i removed waaaaay to much stuff and had lots of fc's at boot time so i just repaired and re-rooted :) Removing google apps seemed to present the most problems but stuff like moxier went away fine.

9. hal752

hal752 Well-Known Member

I use to work for o2 repairs and returns. I no o2 sent every phone (iPhone exluded) to anovo. (which are useless) half the time they would just reset the phone and send it back to the customer..

As for the software If you brick it by debranding they wont find out how it happened so you should be safe. If its rooted and say it losses all signal. You could just install the original software.

Im on o2 and the first thing I did was debrand to a non carrier software. But I would never send my phone for repair. I would always claim on the insurance =)

10. rosered

I will see what happens when we get 2.1 and then decide, but if it goes horribly wrong its nice to know that I can get back to where I want to be with an update so thanks for that info. I have to say since I started with ADW launcher I am much happier with it cos I have enough screens to have the stuff on that I want and can mostly ignore the app drawer with all its bloatware.

11. hogsaway

hogsaway Active Member

You can personalise the app drawer with adw. Open app drawer, press menu & create a new group with only the icons you prefer... speccy :)

rosered likes this.
  12. rosered

Sorry I can't hear you!

I am just off to sort out my drawers:eek:

OMG you have just made a blind, deaf old lady very happy! You do truly learn something new everyday. Thanks for that!!

13. AcidSentance

AcidSentance Active Member

On the topic of Vodafone adding their own software. I'm a Vodafone AU customer and the only thing I can notice that they've put on my X10 is the "Live!" icon in the app drawer which is just a link anyway.
    I was surprised by that, I was expecting the phone to be riddled with crap like Telstra do. Man my Telstra W705 was so bad I flashed it within a couple of days.

Just how much Vodafone crap is added elsewhere?

14. Dbnguy

Dbnguy Well-Known Member

My only gripe with rooting my phone was that every so often my signal would just drop and be dead for a few seconds. I literally had to shake the phone to pick up signal.

another gripe that used to annoy the crap out of me is that in the middle of a call, the ear piece would just go into some kind of mute mode and no-one could hear anything for about 5 secs. By that time, the person on the other end had hung up already.

Someone else mentioned here that they never got the full benefit of having a rooted phone. Im pretty much in the same boat. The ONLY thing I miss about a rooted phone, was the removal of Moxier, play now, quadrapop etc etc etc :)

15. candiluver

candiluver Member

Hi,

I'm just wondering, if my service provider doesn't come out with the 2.1 update as quick as other countries..I can only get the update if I debrand my x10 is this correct? Also, I've heard many issues with the 026 firmware..so I'm not really complaining about still being on 020. Does the 2.1 update fix the bugs in 026?

Thanks!

16. lavinius

lavinius Active Member

my voda x10i only had Live! but since i bought it outright i asked them to unlock it and gave them the sim back on the spot then first thing i did was put the uk/euro generic firmware on it

I have seen the Optus one and my God they put some crap on it i tell ya! but they run x26 firmware, voda had x16 firmware so looks like optus really do churn out firmware faster than anyone albeit with their crap on ...probably SingTel does all the work

17. lavinius

lavinius Active Member

I would debrand first this way you can uptate to whatever you want as soon as it's out from SE rahter than your provider

what issues do you have with x26? I haven't experience any yet apart from sometimes having to double swipe to take a call but those times it's me not swiping all the way up the screen, bloody long swipe! i like the shorter iphone one