x10 wifi connected but 3g chargesSupport

Last Updated:

1. horty43

horty43 New Member This Topic's Starter

hi there,
    this month orange gave me a bill for 30 pounds extra as i used 1.5 gigs on my x10
    after talking to orange on the phone for a long time, hey were very help full, unlike Sony ericsson, it turns out that while at home when my phone says its connected to wifi, and is usually as i have tested by turning of data 3g and things on the hand set, it is still using 3g and streaming through the mobile internet. orange tell me its a problem with the handset and they have had a few people with the same problem. orange kindly didnt charge me for my data use and told me to ring Sony who were very unhelpful and just claimed it isn't the hand set.
    i was wondering if any one else has had tis problem and if any thing can be done. i now try to always have the 3g off but not sure if that is going to help.
    any solutions or comments?
    many thanks
    james

Advertisement
  2. Duncs

Duncs Well-Known Member

More a comment than solution here sorry as it sounds like a prob with the phone but you could try 3g watchdog free from the market that monitors your 3g data use and can warn you when you are nearing the limit.

3. JPBrowne

JPBrowne Active Member

I have found that the phone seems to turn off the Wifi radio when the phone is locked. When you unloock the phone it turns back on again but it can take 20 seconds or so to connect to the wifi network and get a data connection. If you try to use data before it's connected to wifi the phone will use 3G. If you're streaming something it will ocntinue to use the 3G. this is jsut an observation I've made on my own x10.

4. Duncs

Duncs Well-Known Member

settings, wireless controls, wifi settings, press menu button then select advanced, wifi sleep policy, then set to never if you dont want wifi to turn off :)

5. JPBrowne

JPBrowne Active Member

Thansk Duncs.
    I'm quite happy with wifi turning off. It helps with the allready terrible battery life. I get 2GB of 3G data with my O2 plan so it doesn't really bother me using 3G. Teh sooner Sony ericsson release their promised update the better.

6. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

I've just returned from holiday abroad where I had my X10 set to switch off the 3G data connection when roaming to avoid huge charges. While away I still used the phone as normal but with the hotel wi-fi as my data connection, and can confirm that 3G Watchdog showed no 3G data was exchanged. My bill has also since arrived with no extra charges.

7. ryno1974

ryno1974 Well-Known Member

Get APN on/off widget. Best thing out there for killing 3G when you want to use ONLY wifi. I am loving it, and it is making my data hog X10 a little more manageable.