Xaivior13 - the Newbie

Last Updated:

1. Xaivior13

Xaivior13 New Member This Topic's Starter

I am a nerd, simple as that.

Why hello everyone - it's so nice to be on a forum full of equally eager-to-learn developers (and relatively decent writers) as myself.

I've wanted to develop apps for mobile devices for a while, tried J2ME, but that's when I didn't have my own computer.

I went through the stress of learning Java on my own a while back (like 2 years ago), and was happy when I first tried a Droid and made one of the apps crash, returning an error similar to the many I had seen before. However, upon talking to the Verizon guy at the store, my dreams were crushed when he said, "No, Android is not like Java." So, I delayed myself from getting into it, only peeking in here and there on the new phones, but only just recently on the language itself. It turns out that, as usual, regular salesmen know as little as possible about the items that they are selling... but just enough so that they can get you to buy it. Anyways, I hope one day to own a Droid and continue to develop apps for it as I have my precious graphing calculator.

Oh, one more thing - if anyone would like to know, I am a starting Linux user - Fedora 12 - because I just got tired of sifting through the endless shareware and crap freeware for Windows as well as the viruses that come along with it, and I am extremely irritated by Macs and the iPhone. (Though I do have a Windows partition on this computer, I'll only really use it for Google Video chats and games that WINE can't necessarily run.)

Alright, I know this was a long, and probably pointless post, but oh well.

This is...
    Xaivior13
    ...signing off, as I have lost the game.

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Welcome to the forum :) Pretty much pointless to listen to most salesmen :p

3. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :)