xapush.com opt-out?Support

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Well-Known Member

Apparently I downloaded an app that is sending me ads in my notification bar and it says "optout at xapush.com." Once there, the "ad pushing" site wants my phones IMEI. Is this safe...should I do it? Any other ideas about how to get the ads to stop? How can I figure out which app brought this along? TIA!

Advertisement
  2. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

No. Uninstall the app there trying to steal your info. Very bad
    Just uninstall the apps you recently installed until it stops also get look out anti virus and run it. It may be a bad app.
    sushifor5 likes this.
  3. sushifor5

sushifor5 Well-Known Member

OK, I think I know which app it might be, but I downloaded three the other day...

It wouldn't be Permissions Denied, would it? I wouldn't think so....

Thanks for the warning and advice!
  4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Never ever opt out of anything that you know you didn't sign up for. It does nothing but alert them that you're a real person. Nine times out of ten they end up with information that you certainly do not wish for them to have.
    sushifor5 likes this.
  5. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

It could be.
  6. melim

melim Disabled

There's an app in the market called AirPush Detector. It should tell you which app is the culprit.
  7. Garrett67

Garrett67 Well-Known Member

I signed it JUST to thank you. :knuddel:
  8. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

resurrection
  9. melim

melim Disabled

And to make out with me, apparently. :eek: I'd need some more info to determine if this is appropriate... :p

It's good to know that I've posted at least one thing people actually find helpful. :)
    Garrett67, Petrah and benslgdroid like this.
  10. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

You have posted some much useful info I lost count sometime last year. Please..... Pat yourself on the back a little more often. You deserve it.
  11. melim

melim Disabled

It hurts my shoulder when I try to do that.

:stupido2:
    cammykool likes this.
  12. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

teehee!
  13. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

LBE Privacy Guard can help ID the culprit as well. My wife found some live wallpaper that was putting ads in the status bar (not very appropriate ones either) and LBE eneabled me to deny network access to that app. Thanks to Andy for pointing that one out to me.
  14. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

The actual denying of permissions can only be done if you are rooted. It will only show non rooted users what kind of permissions you have given an installed app.
    It's amazing how many apps want access to your call logs, phone ID # and other things. Even though they don't need them to function. Just another reason to Root. With LBE installed on my rooted phone I have denied phone id# permissions to all apps that don't need it. All other permissions on all apps I have set to prompt for an allow/deny pop up window.
    I now have control, not the app.
    brotherswing likes this.
  15. bigtlittleodd

bigtlittleodd New Member

What a great app you suggested. The app does not require any permissions or require any special notices that you give up special access by installing. The culprit in my case was JT Flash lite.

Thanks so very much Melim!

btw... I registered just to be able to say thanks!
  16. SRMHILL2012

SRMHILL2012 New Member

Worked for me also. Awesome! Thanks.
  17. sumitnda

sumitnda New Member

@melim: u r a savior buddy!!!:)
  18. Petrah

She doesn't post here anymore, but the next time I speak to her I'll tell her you said so. ;)
  19. musiciansapp

musiciansapp Well-Known Member

I downloaded airpush detector but that didn't help. Any other ideas?
  20. Petrah

Try Add Network Detector. This one should also show you what apps push ads to the notification bar.
  21. rcsrich

rcsrich Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Google Play should require that all apps that use ads state as much in the description, including where (notification bar, app itself) and if found to be not observing this requirement, the app should be pulled.

I'm all for keeping Play "open" but let us know up front & we can decide whether it's worth downloading on not...
  22. Petrah

Good idea, and I think I remember reading somewhere recently about more security measures being (if they haven't already) implemented for things like this.

Until then though, the best warning you're going to get is from the users who've left reviews for the apps.
  23. DutchieHfx

DutchieHfx New Member

This program did not detect my ad-pushing program.
    The ad does say: se3lsd. Anyone know what that's about?
  24. DutchieHfx

DutchieHfx New Member

Amen!
  25. Petrah

According to my Google search, it looks to be from an app called Bowling 2. If not that one, then perhaps from the same developer.