• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xbox Reveal

Or more people will play on PC. It would the same business model on all platforms at that point, but PC has enough competition that games go on sale on a regular basis. To me, it's usually easier to find a good deal on a PC download than a boxed copy.

I wonder if this will increase piracy on the next gen consoles.

PC games also tend to be slightly cheaper than their console counterparts too.

Upvote 0
I honestly do not like where the xbox one is going and how you're not able to play 360 games on it or even used games for that matter. I've heard a lot of TV, TV, TV, sports and TV when they were announcing it, but what about the games, games, games? I play on a console for games not to watch TV or movies really. I think it has become less about games and more about well... TV.
I'm just upset. :(
Yo dawg, I heard you like TV, so you can plug an XboxTV in yo TV so you can watch TV while you watch TV! :p

Reactions: ParishL31 and Gmash
Upvote 0
I honestly do not like where the xbox one is going and how you're not able to play 360 games on it or even used games for that matter. I've heard a lot of TV, TV, TV, sports and TV when they were announcing it, but what about the games, games, games? I play on a console for games not to watch TV or movies really. I think it has become less about games and more about well... TV.
I'm just upset. :(
Yo dawg, I heard you like TV, so you can plug an XboxTV in yo TV so you can watch TV while you watch TV! :p

PS4 is the same in the regard that it is not backwards compatible either. However, we haven't heard anything about Sony attempting to block used games or charging a fee for it either.

Obviously, that would be a HUGE disaster for M$ if that's the route they ultimately decide to follow.

Upvote 0
PS4 is the same in the regard that it is not backwards compatible either. However, we haven't heard anything about Sony attempting to block used games or charging a fee for it either.

Obviously, that would be a HUGE disaster for M$ if that's the route they ultimately decide to follow.

There were rumors about blocking used games on PS4 before it was announced, but Sony said they wouldn't require all games to be registered. They conspicuously didn't say they would forbid game publishers from doing it, though, so it wouldn't surprise me to see EA and perhaps others at last trying to implement this across the board and seeing how big the backlash will be.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
Even more about the specs:

AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

Just reading the comparisons....I really hope recent and upcoming games get ported to the next gen consoles....I am utterly amazed that the 360 and PS3 had 512MB of ram (PS3 is listed as having 256 MB system and 256 MB video so that could be seen as 256MB for the PS3? If so thats even more amazing....)

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
There were rumors about blocking used games on PS4 before it was announced, but Sony said they wouldn't require all games to be registered. They conspicuously didn't say they would forbid game publishers from doing it, though, so it wouldn't surprise me to see EA and perhaps others at last trying to implement this across the board and seeing how big the backlash will be.

Oh, really? I hadn't heard that until right now. However, I've been out of the gaming loop for quite some time.

Upvote 0
Don't expect to be able to play imported games. Honestly it's not something that would bother me but there's plenty of people out there who travel a lot. Even worse if you permanently move abroad in a few years and games wouldn't be compatible with your Xbox.
Xbox One will be region-locked, Microsoft confirms | VG247

It doesn't bother me as much that the xbox is region locked because it's not like Nintendo or Sony where there are Japanese game manufacturers that only makes Japan exclusive games. Personally though I hate region locking of anything as is a stupid restriction Imo.

Upvote 0
Chiming in late here. ..

I'm all for what Microsoft is doing with the new Xbox. I'm ready to give my monies to them now. I don't care if it's backwards compatible, idc about an always on connection and idc about used games.

With that said. Let some hackers get the system in hand. I could see someone chomping at the bit to hack this thing and develop an emulator to play old titles with.

Also a lot of you keep talking about the tv integration. As i understand it you still need your Cable or Sat provider box. Xbox One uses hdmi in/out. You run HDMI from the cable or sat box and then hdmi out to your tv. Xbox one actually uses overlays in conjunction with the feed coming from your source to produce it's Xbox One TV jazz. Either way i'm a fan. I'm also a fan of the partnership with the NFL. As a Broncos fan living in the south it's hard for me to catch the Broncos on sometimes and i hope this will help.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm not so willing to support giving up my rights to used games. Car manufacturers don't get a cut of the profit if a car is sold used, so why do game manufacturers feel like they're entitled to? I'm sure there would be public outcry if people weren't able to buy cars used without paying the manufacturer the full price of the car on top of what the dealer is charging. This is exactly what Microsoft is doing, but people seem to care less since it's only 60-70 dollars instead of 20,000 dollars.

Upvote 0
I said the same thing when the rumors of PS4 blocking used games were going around, so it's not that I'm a fanboy, but I will stop gaming if they kill used games. I mostly buy used, and even if I didn't, if I buy something I expect it to be mine. I won't let M$ or Sony railroad me like that. I wish there was another option out there (no, Nintendo doesn't count). M$ and Sony are both horrible companies.

Upvote 0
Also a lot of you keep talking about the tv integration. As i understand it you still need your Cable or Sat provider box. Xbox One uses hdmi in/out. You run HDMI from the cable or sat box and then hdmi out to your tv. Xbox one actually uses overlays in conjunction with the feed coming from your source to produce it's Xbox One TV jazz. Either way i'm a fan. I'm also a fan of the partnership with the NFL. As a Broncos fan living in the south it's hard for me to catch the Broncos on sometimes and i hope this will help.

Thanks for the clarification on how XBox One plans to integrate the TV service. I really didn't know what they planned before that. But now knowing what they plan, the problem I see is they're simply charging you for Live to use services you already pay for. The same argument already exists for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and all those other services. You already pay for those services, but you have to pay Microsoft extra to use it on their console while it's free on Bluray players, Smart TVs, PS3? Dumb if you ask me.

I have a feeling that even with a partnership with the NFL, they'll make you pay $200+ a season for Sunday Ticket and then make you pay for Live in order to watch the games you want. The NFL and Microsoft are such money grubbing companies I doubt it would work out to be free or affordable for football game streaming on demand. It would be awesome though, but very unlikely without costing an arm and a leg. Go Broncos though!

It kills your entire 360 library and you've wasted all the cash for nothing. Especially all your downloaded arcade games and other on demand 360 games too. Also, check out what "Next-Gen" has in store for us. :p

That's CoD for you haha. The same people who said "we invented gun game" and fail to mention Counter-Strike and many other titles have done it over ten years ago.

Upvote 0
Well i already pay for Xbox Live and the account will transfer to the next gen. ...sooo it's a moot point for me at least on the "they make you pay for Live to use the tv portion" but i definitely understand what you're saying.

the ones that are worried about backwards compatibility why not just keep your 360? Problem solved. I have a 360 with a few games on it. I may keep it. I have a PS3 also but i plan on selling it. At some point in time it's time to move on. IN MY OPINION it's worth it to lose Backward Compatibility in order to jump to a more standardized architecture (x86) for the sake of possibly faster and better ...and maybe just maybe cheaper game development.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I'm generally unimpressed so far. I just hope that MS get their act together for E3, I really want to see how it games, not how it watches keeping up with the kardashians.

I'm also slightly concerned with the DRM and the private eye Kinect. I'm not sure if it's come up in discussion here but MS reserves the right to monitor, record and release all communication via the console which includes communication via kinect. The kinect sensor is always on as is the internet connection (unless of course you manually disconnect it or unplug the console from the wall connection). There's a 1080p camera and microphone sitting in your living room always listening and always watching with the capacity to record and document everything you do and say. It might sound like I'm wearing the tin hat but something doesn't add up. I don't care if it's intended for marketing data and marketing data only, I'm not comfortable having a 24/7 spy in my living room.

Then there's the big deal they made on TV. I have my TV to watch TV, if I didn't have a TV I couldn't use an Xbox so then the TV function of the Xbox is useless anyway because I don't have a TV to connect the Xbox to. My point is they're trying to sell a console on the notation that you can watch TV on your TV. Real groundbreaking technology that is.

I'm just not sold on it yet, E3 will have a very big influence on my decision.

Reactions: jroc and Gmash
Upvote 0
I'm generally unimpressed so far. I just hope that MS get their act together for E3, I really want to see how it games, not how it watches keeping up with the kardashians.

I'm also slightly concerned with the DRM and the private eye Kinect. I'm not sure if it's come up in discussion here but MS reserves the right to monitor, record and release all communication via the console which includes communication via kinect. The kinect sensor is always on as is the internet connection (unless of course you manually disconnect it or unplug the console from the wall connection). There's a 1080p camera and microphone sitting in your living room always listening and always watching with the capacity to record and document everything you do and say. It might sound like I'm wearing the tin hat but something doesn't add up. I don't care if it's intended for marketing data and marketing data only, I'm not comfortable having a 24/7 spy in my living room.

Then there's the big deal they made on TV. I have my TV to watch TV, if I didn't have a TV I couldn't use an Xbox so then the TV function of the Xbox is useless anyway because I don't have a TV to connect the Xbox to. My point is they're trying to sell a console on the notation that you can watch TV on your TV. Real groundbreaking technology that is.

I'm just not sold on it yet, E3 will have a very big influence on my decision.

I agree with everything you said.....but the TV part...its more about the guide than watching TV. I did like that part of the reveal. Somehow my favorite channel settings got deleted from my remote/cable box. I always wanted an easier TV guide...maybe I should just get one of those $100+ universal remotes...

Like in my area....the sports channels are all separated in some dumb way that IMO doesnt make sense. Where I lived before I had another cable service and every sport channel was grouped together. Channels were just grouped together better, The guide on the Xbox One would make setting up channel groups and whatnot easier. And just using that guide would be better than what cable providers have now.

And I liked the multi tasking features.

Its sad...I may get an Xbox One for the TV features and gaming would be 2nd...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones