• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xbox Reveal

I agree with everything you said.....but the TV part...its more about the guide than watching TV. I did like that part of the reveal. Somehow my favorite channel settings got deleted from my remote/cable box. I always wanted an easier TV guide...maybe I should just get one of those $100+ universal remotes...

Like in my area....the sports channels are all separated in some dumb way that IMO doesnt make sense. Where I lived before I had another cable service and every sport channel was grouped together. Channels were just grouped together better, The guide on the Xbox One would make setting up channel groups and whatnot easier. And just using that guide would be better than what cable providers have now.

And I liked the multi tasking features.

Its sad...I may get an Xbox One for the TV features and gaming would be 2nd...

I think people are focusing too much on the additional features. At least be a little objective about the situation. You have a gaming console with superior hardware in comparison to the previous generation model, but it also has the ability to do other things (watch TV, motion control, etc). However, I will agree that I am not fond of the Kinect recording and reporting data for marketing purposes or otherwise.

Upvote 0
I agree with everything you said.....but the TV part...its more about the guide than watching TV. I did like that part of the reveal. Somehow my favorite channel settings got deleted from my remote/cable box. I always wanted an easier TV guide...maybe I should just get one of those $100+ universal remotes...

Like in my area....the sports channels are all separated in some dumb way that IMO doesnt make sense. Where I lived before I had another cable service and every sport channel was grouped together. Channels were just grouped together better, The guide on the Xbox One would make setting up channel groups and whatnot easier. And just using that guide would be better than what cable providers have now.

And I liked the multi tasking features.

Its sad...I may get an Xbox One for the TV features and gaming would be 2nd...

What you are saying makes good sense and it's sensible I suppose when compared to spending large amounts on a universal remotes. I guess the reason I'm not sold on the TV feature is that it probably won't even work outside of the US. For me it's pointless but I'm sure for others (like you for example) it's a feature worth having.

I guess it's also good for people who game on monitors without TV compatibility. I assume all they will need is a cable box behind their monitor somewhere and it'll be able to use TV functionality on a monitor. So I can see it being a winner for some people but for me personally it doesn't really mean anything.

Does anybody know anything about the TV functionality outside of the united states? I haven't heard anything yet but I assume it won't work in Europe and Australia, or for free to air TV. Which brings up another though, is it only for people with cable? Do I need a gold XBL membership to watch cable on it? The same as what they did with foxtel on the 360?

Upvote 0
Does anybody know anything about the TV functionality outside of the united states? I haven't heard anything yet but I assume it won't work in Europe and Australia, or for free to air TV. Which brings up another though, is it only for people with cable? Do I need a gold XBL membership to watch cable on it? The same as what they did with foxtel on the 360?
Microsoft has said it is U.S. only at launch, with plans to expand after that. It's not a TV service; so, yes you have to have cable to use all that TV functionality (plus internet). They haven't said if it will require gold. But, you've had to have for everything up until now, and I doubt that will change.

We have basic cable at my house. I don't have a set top box in my room, only a converter (HD TV but the tuner doesn't work). If the Xbone could serve as a cable box/DVR, I might be more interested in it. I'm actually a bit disappointed that it won't work without a STB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones