• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xiaomi Redmi 1S - Moving apps to external SD card: Extra Tips & Tricks

Moving apps to external SD card: Extra Tips & Tricks

I recently bought a Xiaomi Redmi HM 1SW. It’s a really good and wonderful phone. The only problem of this piece of technology is the fact that it doesn’t allow the storage of applications in the external SD card. Yes, it’s a fact. This important detail isn’t present in Redmi 1S – sadly.

So, when i started searching for this problem i found a very competent guide from kepler777 who has done an excellent Work .

Please go through the post below seriously and then read my post for better understanding.
http://androidforums.com/threads/xiaomi-redmi-1s-moving-apps-to-external-sd-card-a-solution.905438/
Xiaomi Redmi 1S - Moving apps to external SD card: a solution

NOW,
coming to my trips & tricks:

1.) NO need for MiniTool Partition Wizard and a PC. Just download app "AParted sd card partition" and you can do the FORMATTING your SDcard right in your phone with this APP and This tool allows you to create partitions and administrate them in your SDcard or usb device. You can add more RAM to your device by creating a swap partition. Also you can repair some damaged SDcard and scan for bad blocks. ROOT MOBILE REQUIRED.

NOTE:
this app asks to unmount SDcard so then Go to the “Settings > Storage” options, and check/click SDCARD unmount option. carefull to unmount the right/correct SDcard.

2.) As this Point in the linked post says
"Right-Click and Create “FAT32″ partition. Be sure to make the file size bigger than the 2nd part. For instance, if your card has 8 GB of size, make this partition with 6 GB. If you have 16 GB, make it 12 GB long."
I tried to make full SDcard as “ext2” partition but Link2SD does not recognise my SDcard so with 998mb i made 88mb "fat32" partition and 900mb as "ext2" partition. which given me more space to move app to SDcard. so, what iam saying is X mb of "fat32" partition is a space on your SDcard for your personal data like fotos,songs,videos etc... and Y mb as "ext2" partition is the space for Link2SD move your app to SDcard so, choose WISELY.

3.)With all respect as kepler777 strongly advised to INSTALL i think NO need for install TWRP Recovery, from Team Win Recovery Project. for tech-gurus/tech-junkies/nerds/PRO's you can root the Redmi 1s with ROOT & UN-ROOT files found in "MIUI forms" by making file renamed to update.zip and following instructions correctly.

By the way i already done ROOTING,Super SU,USB debugging mode etc... before i read the post by kepler777 . so it is very fast & easy for me to make this Link2SD operation.

I THANK kepler777 from the bottom of my heart for the awesome detailed post "Xiaomi Redmi 1S - Moving apps to external SD card: a solution" .

Have fun with your Redmi 1S!!!

Any feedback is welcomed :):(;)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones