• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

XL Phone Gravity Syndrome

kickaha

Feb 26, 2011
Tonite at CostCo I had an ah-HA moment when I spotted the above-ground garden planters.

Then I had an uh-OH moment when I took my HTC inspire out of my pocket so I could take a picture for my wife and dropped my HTC Inspire on the hard concrete floor.

This turned into an oh $%@^ moment as I watched it BOUNCE around on the floor. I'm pretty sure it bounced on ALL four corners before landing face down next to a pallet.

It looked like someone throwing eleven on the craps table. I was horrified.

I have a new found respect for Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) (Thermoplastic polyurethane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) because when I picked my phone up there was no obvious damage (!), although my phone was frozen on the music player.

After looking around to make sure no one was laughing at me (no one was) I rushed out to my car so I could let loose a nice string of profanity and reset my battery.

When my phone powered up it was fine.

So now I'm wondering if large phones are more prone to being dropped. I never once, in almost 18 months, dropped my iPhone!

I'm not sure how I dropped my Inspire, it might have gotten snagged on the way out of my jacket pocket or it may have just slipped out of my hand. I think the grip on my iPhone was usually tighter in these cases because of its smaller size.

So now I'm wondering if I should trade my Inspire in for a smaller Atrix (something I'm toying with anyway).

My inclination is to stay with the larger Inspire, but not if I can count on its larger size to make it more prone to being dropped.

Do any of you have any thoughts or experiences in this area?

Thanks,

kickaha

coming from a rather frustrating messaging phone which was substantially smaller, i find that sometimes I catch myself being "overcareful" to the point where I feel like i'm going to drop it. I never have actually dropped it (knock on wood) but since it is a bigger phone, the weight distribution is somewhat different. I think its a fact of getting used to. Albeit I've only had my Inspire for a week... but PLEASE buy a case. please. Most of them allow better grip anyways, and there's plenty that won't add an extra inch on each side of your gorgeous device.
Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones