• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

XM Sirius App released for Android OS

Does it cost extra if you already have an in-car subscription?

On that note, I'm pretty PI$$ED that once the merger happened, they started charging extra for an online subscription. That used to be free...of course they're going to raise prices and charging premiums once they have a monopoly, jesus the government's stupid.

Upvote 0
I have a lifetime subscription with Online radio enabled. Why can I listen from my PC free but i have to pay 2.99 to use it from my phone?

I could care a less about the extra 64kb/s

I had a sirius app on my WinMo phone that allowed me to use it for free.

Ya they're tightening up any loopholes for "free" (i.e. was included) online listening in order to get as much money as possible from you.

I would have already canceled except that my wife really likes it in her car. SO I made her a deal, she gets the physical receiver, I get the online account for 2.99/mo. Also, every time my sub is up, I fight to get a lower price and so far have been able to. The day I can't, is the day I leave.

We originally had two radios and of course included online streaming. I dumped mine when they merged and raised the prices/dumped included online streaming and have been using it through my phone since.

Upvote 0
Does it cost extra if you already have an in-car subscription?

On that note, I'm pretty PI$$ED that once the merger happened, they started charging extra for an online subscription. That used to be free...of course they're going to raise prices and charging premiums once they have a monopoly, jesus the government's stupid.

I had called when they started charging for "online", it was waived if you had either a pre-paid account, or if you had signed up prior to the fee...I can't remember, but my online access is free.

Reactions: kevinbakon
Upvote 0
Ya they're tightening up any loopholes for "free" (i.e. was included) online listening in order to get as much money as possible from you.

I would have already canceled except that my wife really likes it in her car. SO I made her a deal, she gets the physical receiver, I get the online account for 2.99/mo. Also, every time my sub is up, I fight to get a lower price and so far have been able to. The day I can't, is the day I leave.

We originally had two radios and of course included online streaming. I dumped mine when they merged and raised the prices/dumped included online streaming and have been using it through my phone since.

On top of that they keep raising prices for things like "music royalty fees" etc. I love how the government let them merge as long as they don't raise the price of their core product, so they just create a million fees on top of their core product that they charge for.

Upvote 0
I had called when they started charging for "online", it was waived if you had either a pre-paid account, or if you had signed up prior to the fee...I can't remember, but my online access is free.

Wow, I need to look into this. That would be amazing because I refuse to pay, and have considered leaving XM recently, but if I could get it on my phone and online for free it would be worth keeping.

Upvote 0
sorry guys. how do you install it? i downloaded a zip that doesn't have a "APK" in it.
new to Android and don't know how to do everything. I downloaded before from my SD card. But Astro recognized it and "Install" came up automatically. this isn't doing that for me.

thanks in advance

forget it. I just went to site via phone and downloaded that way. but i still would like to know how the way they did it by sending me an e-mail (zip folder)

Upvote 0
The only way to fight corporations is with your wallet... Seriously, cancel and tell everyone you know to cancel. If there's a large enough movement, one of two things will happen. 1) they fold or 2) they lower the prices or start offering deep discounts.

Companies don't give a crap about paying customers as long as they keep paying. 20-30 years ago sure maybe... Today the % of companies that actually care about you is pretty small. They may have you *think* they care about you, but don't fool yourself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones