XML Export - Now What? Can I convert to text?Support

Last Updated:

1. scudder

scudder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello...

I have been using a few Task/To Do list apps most of which export in XML format. My question: NOW WHAT?? I was clueless about the use of XML except its use with databases and did a little research on the web but can't seem to figure out how to use it or convert it into a useful form for me.

I really like the apps I am currently using and was HOPING to be able to simply export my task/to do lists in simple text but that isn't an option; only XML. Is there a way to take the XML file and convert it to text?? I just don't quite know what to do with the XML file... :(

THANK YOU!!

Advertisement
  2. scudder

Little bump up...anyone???

3. TBon350

TBon350 Well-Known Member

XML is already just a text file, it's just organized funky like HTML. Because of the way XML is read/standardized, it would be difficult to convert the straight XML into plain text. (do elements use attributes or sub-elements)

You know you can double click an XML file on your computer to see it in the browser though, right? You can also download a number of XML file viewers for free.

4. scudder

Yes, noticed the elements similar to the HTML tags that I am familiar with. But I was familiar with options to convert HTML to text, just not XML. My XML export is a simple list of items...like a grocery list...and just seemed/seems like ALOT of work to extract the text from the elements just to get my text list. I gotta export from the app to my card and/or email to myself....then I have the XML file...gotta get a view to view it...then perhaps cut and paste the text or further export as a plain ol' text file.

Thanks though...I'll try to find an XML viewer that might simply export the text without the tags...