Xoom Online Petition for SD Card Info

Last Updated: 2011-06-03 19:15:36
  1. ghodzilla5150

ghodzilla5150 Well-Known Member

The Asus EEE Transformer is coming out this Month (April) for $200 cheaper. If I don't hear anything from Motorola soon, I will be taking back the WiFi Xoom (I have a 45 day window at BestBuy as a Silver Premiere Member).

I too believe Moto is waiting to get the 4G/LTE and MicroSD up and working at the same time (because they use the same slot) and this is ridiculous as us WiFi Xoom owners could care less about 4G being activated.

This move could definitely backfire on Moto especially if the Asus EEE Transformer has a working MicroSD Card Slot. If it does, this Xoom will be going back to BestBuy and Moto can have their Non MicroSD Card working tablet back and I save $200.

Advertisement
  2. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty obvious that the 4G update has almost nothing to do with the microSD slot activation, or else the Wi-Fi version would have launched with a working microSD slot.
  3. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member

If the MicroSD card issue is a Honeycomb thing, why would the Asus machine get the functionality before the Xoom does?
  4. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

THAT is the question ;)
  5. dvandam

According to the spec sheet on the ASUS Optimus Prime (sorry, Transformer), there's no mention that the MicroSD slot would NOT be working upon release. I have to say it does look quite intriguing, but I'm a little wary of the UI layer over Honeycomb.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101
  6. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm curious how truly functional it is without the "optional" keyboard though? I think the SD reader is only on the keyboard, correct? As well as the USB slots. Did I miss it or does the article say how long the battery life is for the tablet alone? I do NOT want to have to lug around a keyboard to really use a tablet. What I am eventually envisioning is taking my tablet from room to room when I meet with various clients.
  7. dvandam

The Tablet and Dock have the same size battery

As far as the other stuff, the dock only has optional stuff. It looks like you don't need it for full functionality.

The specs of the tablet:

Interface 1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone/Mic-in)
    1 x mini HDMI 1.3a
    1 x Card Reader (Micro SD)

Dock:

Keyboard
    Touch Pad
    2 x USB 2.0
    2 x Docking port (Host + Client)
    1 x Card Reader (MMC/SD/SDHC/SDXC)
    1 x 24.4Wh Battery
    NCTurner likes this.
  8. ghodzilla5150

I guess we will see if it's a Honeycomb thing or a Manufacturer thing. IF the Transformer comes with a working MicroSd, then we will know that Moto is full of (Bleep)
  9. rushmore

Either the Trans is too good to be true (will cost more), or the Xoom is "overpriced".

Great display, GPS, gyro, HDMI and a keyboard/battery/card reader/2 full USB ports/USB host... for $550 or less?

If the device is as solid as the specs and $400, it will sell very well and the Moto will be forced to drop price AND fix the microsd, real fast.

Hopefully the Asus UI does not screw solid hardware up like Viewsonic did the gTablet. YIKES! Like my G, but not with the OEMs UI.
  10. VyseTheLegend

VyseTheLegend Active Member

Actually, the Asus isn't skinned.

According to the Asus marketing guy on the Bit-Tech forum:
    So yeah, the Transformer is pretty much stock. Whether or not Asus is timely with their updates remains to be seen. However, they already said they're rolling out an OTA mid-April to add the cloud stuff.
    Also, Paul from Modaco is getting one, so the dev community will be there for updates, if anything.
  11. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1026230

The EEE Transformer has a working SD slot. I don't care if ASUS did something special to get it to work (like Motor did with Bluetooth voice dialing on the Devour before Android supported it) this is absolute bullshit.
    ghodzilla5150 and fltblkvic like this.
  12. Johnnybee

Johnnybee Active Member

13. ghodzilla5150

I agree. This is NOT cool. I have until April 27th to return my Xoom. If Moto has no response by April 25th, there will be one less Xoom owner and one more Transformer owner (and for $200 cheaper). Moto sure dropped the ball with the Xoom.
  14. dvandam

15. rushmore

Asus has already published the source for the Transformer, so more than obvious they expect a thriving community base. Question will be a thriving OEM base. Asus is good for updating their lappies, so probably ditto for their tabbies.
  16. rushmore

If the Asus really is $200 cheaper, seems academic for a lot of folks. Factor in the smaller/thinner than I expected keyboard that still makes the total cost cheaper than the Xoom:

1. 2X the battery life
    2. Two full function USB ports
    3. SD card reader
    4. GPS
    5. Apparently a very good display
    6. Working microsd slot.

Moto may have overplayed (price) and under delivered (microsd borked and no usb host) compared to the competition.
  17. 3devious

Not so much. Manufacturers track and brag about # of orders more so those from retailers. Returns are swept under the rug and no one is held accountable. The only way these problems get fixed is if management notices a trend of failure. The problem more than likely is the problem so it will take longer to sort that out. That means little for us in the short term.
  18. dvandam

Actually I was referring to ASUS's MicroSD port working getting Moto to start something. I know one return isn't going to do anything.
  19. ghodzilla5150

Trust me, from all the Xoom Forums I follow, there will be more than just 1 return for the Transformer;) There's gonna be a Mass Return
  20. 3devious

Motor already has their money, it's just Best Buy, Costco, et. al that get stuck. You'd think that would encourage them to pressure manufacturers to get their crap together... you'd think.
  21. rushmore

22. ghodzilla5150

I saw that today. That's another kick in the balls. Moto better get off their collective butt's and get the Xoom down to at least $499 (WiFi Unit).

The Acer Iconia is only 16gb. I wonder if they will have a workaround for the MicroSD as Asus did. The Asus Transformer 32gb will be $499. I feel Moto should just drop the WiFi Xoom to $499 to compete and allow us to get some Cheese back. It's either that or start to see units come back.

I think the one good thing that the Xoom has going for it is it's a Pure Google Device (Vanilla) and has not been skinned.

Here is the XDA Forum of the Asus Transformer. People are getting them today

[Q] (request) ASUS Eee Transformer section - Page 29 - xda-developers
  23. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Reports on new Asus Transformer owners that their microSD slot works.
  24. ghodzilla5150

Yes it is working BUT from what I have read it's a sloppy workaround that Google has not recommended. Maybe Moto is doing the right thing and allowing Google to fix the issue so it runs Great when implemented. I wonder if the Asus Transformer's MicroSD will be upgraded when Google rolls out the Real fix for the MicroSD. I guess time will tell
  25. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

You have to be an absolute idiot to believe Google forced Motorola to release a product that Motorola didn't think was ready for release. That's Motorola's decision, not Google's. It is you who must open your eyes, to reality and the way the world works.