• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xoom sales are doing well.

Xoom proves it can hold its own: sells 100,000 copies already :)

Not bad so far!

Motorola Xoom: 100,000 Sold So Far

I am glad Motorola is having success, but how many have been returned by unsatisfied early adopters? Lots of dissatisfaction, apparently. I hope Motorola hits a home run and this product is a success.

It is more expensive than the iPad. Do you suppose the price difference is either enough to drive folks to the iPad?

Bob

Upvote 0
My dad wants one. Knows nothing about Android. Knows nothing about tablets in general. Knows nothing about computers period. Doesn't even have wifi in his house. Wants to buy a wifi only version 'cuz he doesn't want to pay for a data plan. Apparently they look that good. I'm also fairly sure he'd return it inside of a month or hand it to me one.

Upvote 0
I am glad Motorola is having success, but how many have been returned by unsatisfied early adopters? Lots of dissatisfaction, apparently. I hope Motorola hits a home run and this product is a success.

It is more expensive than the iPad. Do you suppose the price difference is either enough to drive folks to the iPad?

Bob

How is 100k verses Motor's target of 750k a success? With new and lower cost options imminent, the Xoom will be lucky to sell 50k more unless a $150 to $200 price drop across the line.

Are you folks being sarcastic? 100k does not even cover R&D, marketing, tooling, production costs, distribution, etc. This is a disaster, IF true. Also suggests Moto's production statements are not correct- unless they want to sit on inventory.

Upvote 0
How is 100k verses Motor's target of 750k a success? With new and lower cost options imminent, the Xoom will be lucky to sell 50k more unless a $150 to $200 price drop across the line.

Are you folks being sarcastic? 100k does not even cover R&D, marketing, tooling, production costs, distribution, etc. This is a disaster, IF true. Also suggests Moto's production statements are not correct- unless they want to sit on inventory.

It's Moto's own fault for getting in bed with Verizon and offering only 1unit at launch that was too darn expensive. Then waiting a month to release the WiFi unit. If Moto wanted to sell more units they should have been agressive with pricing. Maybe $599 for the 3G/4G unit and $399 for the WiFi unit ( they would have sold like hotcakes, they would not have been able to make them fast enough). They priced themselves out from the beginning. They got greedy and it seems to have come back to bite them in the butt.

Now the whole SDCard issue. A major selling point against the iPad and we have no idea when it's gonna be resolved. This is why you Never release a half baked product (especially at really high prices).

Upvote 0
It's the early adopter tax. They are the first to market so they get to set the price for the first few months until they have someone to compete with. However waiting on the WiFi version, and it still costing $600 + a case, dock, etc. bugs me a bit. But only because I don't really want to spend that much. I've looked at them twice now, and yesterday I went and looked at the Galaxy Tab 7" and the Xoom back to back. With the announcement of the WiFi Tab at $350 I'm tempted to just go with that. But one of the killer apps I want with a tablet is Google Talk Video Chat. Which isn't available on the Tab (Just Qik) and it probably won't be upgraded to 3.0.

So it looks like I'm waiting on the Tab 8.9 with Honeycomb for now so I can compare. The Xoom is a nice device with a nice screen and if I HAD to spend money today I'd buy it, but I think it's going to be a bit big and heavy for what I want it for. We have an iPad 1 that never leaves the house because it's just a bit to big.

Upvote 0

It's called a "Loss Leader"... Now, Moto is the first company that has access to Honeycomb.

Do you really think they will sit on that kind of lead? I project a new tablet from Moto this summer. Xoom 2 maybe? Just because they were first to market, and now have a good grasp on what the market will bear, what features were important to have, and already have a line of accessories for it (Case, keyboard, etc).

Upvote 0
Now I ve been waiting quite sometime to explain my run down on things. I keep seeing and hearing people say that in comparison to the Ipad 2 that the xoom is a flop, failure, etc and to some that the xoom is and is not an Ipad killer. OK, for one I have a xoom, and have an iphone. So I'm not biased in anyway. My take is there will never be a product that will be an Ipad killer. Just look at the history of apple products. Apple will always be apple and people will continue to purchase apple products just because it says Apple. As for as android goes, not one android tablet can stand against apple alone. Collectively I believe eventually with all the honeycomb tablets coming out they will take a share of the tablet market. Now in saying that, that is what the motorola xoom is doing. The goal is not to be an Ipad killer but to take a share of the market. I prefer the xoom over the I pad just because its android and I can customize it. The Ipad is more simple. 2) I hear alot of talk of honeycomb not being ready or very buggy and that people will wait for another honeycomb tablet. Well thats fine. If they chose to wait then wait, but just know that the same honeycomb os thats on the xoom will be on the Asus transformer, galaxy tab and so forth. If the xoom is buggy then so will the others. 3) People say the xoom price is to high. Well just think about it. If the xoom is not an I pad killer and won't be what other tablet is there for it to compare to right now? None. In fact the price is comparable to the I pad so what's the big deal. Its the only honeycomb device right now so its priced reasonably. What apple does good with is advertising in best buy that the xoom fails at. I pad is everywhere in best buy with its own section while the xoom is stuck next to a netbook with its measly dock station and invisible shield screen protector. As soon as you walk n best buy a sign greets you with I pad 2 and now newly blackberry playbook that says coming soon. In conclusiin I love the I pad and I love the xoom. These products are based on preference. I believe the transformer will have a great share of the market even competing or maybe surpassing the xoom because of its laptop like capability. As for as the galaxy tab 10.1, yes its thinner than the xoom but there is nothing that distingishes it enough from the xoom. It won't surpass xooms sells.

Upvote 0
Interesting how now it's doing well? It wasn't 2 weeks ago? I guess the wifi only release was what people are after (and the Canada release as well, although most stores only has 5-10 units). However I don't think this will last long once the Asus Transformer is out with a significantly lower price tag for the same hardware, and as far as I heard, Asus' tablet will have a working sdcard slot.

Upvote 0
It's called a "Loss Leader"... Now, Moto is the first company that has access to Honeycomb.

Do you really think they will sit on that kind of lead? I project a new tablet from Moto this summer. Xoom 2 maybe? Just because they were first to market, and now have a good grasp on what the market will bear, what features were important to have, and already have a line of accessories for it (Case, keyboard, etc).

Point here is 100K against a target plan of 750K, is not doing well. It is doing VERY badly- IF true. 100K would be all red on a balance sheet.

Upvote 0
Point here is 100K against a target plan of 750K, is not doing well. It is doing VERY badly- IF true. 100K would be all red on a balance sheet.

Well, the only thing in regards to a 750K target is this:
Login to DIGITIMES archive & research

An anonymous source, claims Moto spec'd 750K units for the first quarter. Nothing really official, all in all. In fact, that same "source" also claims 4 different color options. From what I see, there is only one.

Motorola has been in this game for quite some time. Mobile communications is what they do. I really doubt they would order 750K units to sell in a single quarter for a "First Ever" device for them.

I mean, hell, they don't even do that with new radio lineups in their Part 90 division, and they've been in that game for about 65 years. And, with only Icom to compete with, they are THE Part 90 radio people.

So, Moto knows how to do introduce new products in "Experimental mode" to test the waters BEFORE they put their arses on the line, so to speak, with a real lineup.

Upvote 0
Well, the only thing in regards to a 750K target is this:
Login to DIGITIMES archive & research

An anonymous source, claims Moto spec'd 750K units for the first quarter. Nothing really official, all in all. In fact, that same "source" also claims 4 different color options. From what I see, there is only one.

Motorola has been in this game for quite some time. Mobile communications is what they do. I really doubt they would order 750K units to sell in a single quarter for a "First Ever" device for them.

I mean, hell, they don't even do that with new radio lineups in their Part 90 division, and they've been in that game for about 65 years. And, with only Icom to compete with, they are THE Part 90 radio people.

So, Moto knows how to do introduce new products in "Experimental mode" to test the waters BEFORE they put their arses on the line, so to speak, with a real lineup.

I recall Moto refuting rumors they were quickly lowering and halting production and stated "200" per month was the plan. Something is not fitting here. Seems Moto is posturing and rushed the product to market (ship with a broken microsd? That is silly).

Fix the micro sd, drop the price $150 (at least) and it will sell well. Asus could be a pressure for them, but all the gear that device has for $400 seems too good to be true, IMO.

Upvote 0
I recall Moto refuting rumors they were quickly lowering and halting production and stated "200" per month was the plan. Something is not fitting here. Seems Moto is posturing and rushed the product to market (ship with a broken microsd? That is silly).

Fix the micro sd, drop the price $150 (at least) and it will sell well. Asus could be a pressure for them, but all the gear that device has for $400 seems too good to be true, IMO.

It's not posturing, so much as rushing to get a toe into the market first. They are the first ones with a Honeycomb tablet. They know what the price is for production, what they can trim, what is a requirement, and where the price per unit sits on the demand curve.

No other OEM has that information yet. No other OEM has that kind of lead time.

Moreover, it IS the wifi only device that people ultimately want. At the 599 price point, it is very competitive with the iPad 2. You guys know the specs. Give it some time to filter out. Do you all forget how the G1 rolled out two years ago?

Basically, this is it. I'm sure if we compare the Moto Xoom to the 64 GB iPad 2 w/3G, numbers would be pretty close, I'd presume.

Even with the iPad, people are not buying the top-end models as quickly as the 16 GB wifi only.

Upvote 0
If the Transformer comes out at $400 with a working MicroSD then Moto screwed up bigtime. If they want to compete and sell anymore units they will have to match the Transformer price point or it's game over (as many Xoom WiFi owners will just return the Xoom for the Transformer as we are well within our 30 day return period). I know I may end up doing this as well (especially if they have a working MicroSD and Moto is still screwing around with the issue)

I could see Moto throwing in the towel and not supporting the Xoom as best they can. A significant price drop is definitely needed to stay in the market.

Upvote 0
It's not posturing, so much as rushing to get a toe into the market first. They are the first ones with a Honeycomb tablet. They know what the price is for production, what they can trim, what is a requirement, and where the price per unit sits on the demand curve.

No other OEM has that information yet. No other OEM has that kind of lead time.
Being first isn't always good, time and time again for many years someone putting something out first and has the competition follow up and squash the firstcomer- and actually some businesses has closed down because of it.

Upvote 0
... yesterday I went and looked at the Galaxy Tab 7" and the Xoom back to back. With the announcement of the WiFi Tab at $350 I'm tempted to just go with that.

Don't go with teh 7" Galaxy Tab. It is running 2.2 only. And from what other people using Samsung's phone, they are very bad in updating OS. Many samsung phones are still running 2.1. The chance for this Galaxy Tab get honeycomb is almost zero.

Upvote 0
Don't go with teh 7" Galaxy Tab. It is running 2.2 only. And from what other people using Samsung's phone, they are very bad in updating OS. Many samsung phones are still running 2.1. The chance for this Galaxy Tab get honeycomb is almost zero.

Very true with regards to Samsung updates. For the Tab 2.2 isn't bad, except for the Google Video Talk issue. It doesn't look like there is much of a custom ROM group for the Tab anyway so the chances of a 3.0 port are limited.

If it was sub $250 I'd buy one just to use for now and ditch it later or give it to my daughter. For $350 it jumps above my "impulse buy" line. However if they have a fire sale in a few weeks I might pick on up just 'cus. The size is nice for just doing some quick searches when I don't want to get the laptop, and the phone is too small. Books would be fine as well.

I'm still refining my needs. After holding the Xoom and the Tab, I think the 8.9 (still Samsung) may be the "right" size for me. The HUGE plus for the Xoom however is that it's Pure Google so like my N1 it should be supported for a long time.

Upvote 0
Being first isn't always good, time and time again for many years someone putting something out first and has the competition follow up and squash the firstcomer- and actually some businesses has closed down because of it.

While that might be true, Motorola could flop with ALL of their phones, and still have plenty of money to play around with from their business-band and public safety radio line.

They can afford to have a "loss leader", to get the first access to Honeycomb. Most other vendors can't afford that, because the rest of their business unit markets are very volatile.

People will always order their P25 Trunking radios from Moto, and they will pretty much always get their other communications equipment out the door.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones