• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help XOOM USB to AC Adapter?

PetiePal

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
Will there be a USB to XOOM charger cable? I haven't seen an official Motorola one, just a wall-charger and a cigarette lighter adapter. I've gotten everything in my car hooked up to USB adapters at this point and the XOOM is the only odd man out!

USB is 5 volts. The xoom's battery is 7.4 volts. USB will not fully charge the xoom and maybe it will in future versions.

Ohh so it's a voltage thing? That kinda sucks I was hoping to have nothing but USB to charging connections.

A 90-degree charging cable would be nice as well though, having it stick out the back IS a little awkward. I guess you could hold it upside down when just browsing to have it come out the top.

It doesn't charge by the MicroUSB port on the bottom either from what I understand JUST that one port and perhaps there's another on there when it's docked in.

Maybe XOOM2 will make the charging a little more universal. I wonder if USB 3.0 has any different voltages?

Upvote 0
Ohh so it's a voltage thing? That kinda sucks I was hoping to have nothing but USB to charging connections.

A 90-degree charging cable would be nice as well though, having it stick out the back IS a little awkward. I guess you could hold it upside down when just browsing to have it come out the top.

It doesn't charge by the MicroUSB port on the bottom either from what I understand JUST that one port and perhaps there's another on there when it's docked in.

Maybe XOOM2 will make the charging a little more universal. I wonder if USB 3.0 has any different voltages?

With the 90 degree charger you can rest it on something without breaking it off. When it's in the dock the two metal prongs are what charges it.

Upvote 0
Some people have tried I gather. You'd assume you'd be able to if you didn't read any of the data only stuff in the manuals/guides.

The MicroUSB isn't even connected to the battery from what I understand so at worst you'd fry it, at best it would just not do anything.

The media dock only trickle chargers it and isn't as fast as the other charger from what I understand. As someone said earlier the lower voltage from MicroUSB means it couldn't be charged and used at the same time since the drain would likely be more than the charge!

Perhaps a newer revision of MicroUSB will emerge as these tablets become more popular. For now I guess I'll have to carry a spare charger with me on trips! The battery life is insane to other devices I've used so you really only need to charge it at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones