• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xoom won't hold charge, only works when plugged in

schisa16

Lurker
May 21, 2012
Hello,

I have done research regarding this issue and I have yet to find an answer to my specific issue. First, this tablet was bought in as is condition with no warranty, and I was aware of the issue, but I figured I could fix it eventually and enjoy it plugged in during the meantime.

1. My charger works just fine.
2. The tablet will work when plugged in, but when cord is removed it dies immediately.
3. The tablet will show a white LED charging light for about 1 minute before turning off, when the tablet is off.
4. The tablet will show a percent of charge increasing while turned on, currently at 100%, however once it is unplugged it dies.
5. In the charger status it says NOT CHARGING.
6. I have played with the cord numerous times and have taken apart the back cover and checked for a loose wire or any shorts I could see and I didn't find anything suspicious.

My Android Version is 3.2.1

I believe that there must be something wrong with the battery to not accept a charge, but yet the Xoom thinks it is full battery?

I will check this regularly as I am very anxious to fix this problem.

Thanks

Okay I downloaded that and a couple battery widgets and they all told me the same thing.

Battery Status:Good
Voltage: 6.148
Technology: Li-ion
Temperature: 30.8 C

Still shuts off when unplugged.

That battery voltage is lower than mine which is at 8178 mv. I am not sure what you should do next.

There could be an issue with your charger. If you do not have another one you can bring it into Verizon and they will put it on a charger for you.

Upvote 0
How about an update!

I have tried different charges and that isn't the problem. The unit will charge all the way to 100% if you leave it long enough, but once unplugged it turns off and you have to start from 0 battery life again.

I read a potential fix was to take it apart and put a piece of paper between the battery and the power terminals to the motherboard. If this doesnt fix it, then you can purchase a new battery and try that.

Also...someone suggested a software or firmware issue may be causing this, I then proceeded to ROOT it... I did that successfully but the problem still remains.

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones