• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia M4 Aqua google account "Couldn't sign in Can't establish a reliable connection to the server"

D

Deleted User

Hi guys, Out of the box every time I tried to add my google account I got

screen 1
Just a sec...
screen 2
Add your account
google
sing in to get the most out of your device. i
Enter your email
[I enter my email and tried others for testing]
screen 3
Error sorry there seems to be a problem. Please try again.

I tried all the trouble shooting and nothing worked so I used the repair option in PC Companion (factory reset + upgraded to latest build version) and now every time I try to add my google account I get

screen 1
Checking info...
screen2
Couldn't sign in
Can’t establish a reliable connection to the server

Internet connection is good and works on other apps. I can add my facebook account. I cant login in to the google website in chrome browser ( I could out of the box and 2FA is disabled) So far I have tried

Adding google account through different apps
Confirmed the clock is correct (auto time and timezone)
Enabled Backup my data and automatic restore
Location is on
Reset app preferences
deleted all app data or cleared cache (whichever was available) for all apps starting with the word google including google playstore, google account services et cetera
rebootreboot phone

And it's still the same,

The other potential solution mentioned around is to root the phone and modify the host file as per

But there is currently no way to root the device, its a brand new release and very locked down, there are several pages trying to root it on xda-developers and all dead ends. Phone is

Xperia M4 aqua dual E2363 (the 16G dual sim version)
Android 5.0
Build 26.1.B.2.102

any other suggestions? Thanks if you can help.

Even if you could root the phone, that's more of a work-around than a fix.

Here's what I would try...

Verify on a computer that you can login to the Google account you intend to use as the default account on the M4. Just to be 100% sure.

I don't know what account you used for this, but you said you enabled Backup and restore. Disable it.

Just for good measure, wipe the cache partition.

Turn off the phone and remove the SIM.

Factory reset the phone.

Leave the SIM out.

When you are in a location you are certain of having a good WiFi connection, power up the phone and begin the initial setup. A good WiFi connection is critical for this to succeed.

DO NOT try adding any account other than the one you want to use as the default. If you make the wrong account the device default, you'll regret it later.

With a little luck you'll be good to go.

Here's

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones