• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia play Firmware Update Build 4.0.A.0.42

zeln0rm

Lurker
Nov 9, 2011
My Xperia Play decided it wanted to run a firmware update to build 4.0.2.A.0.42 Required hooking up to a PC to do it. No other problems and all seemed to work fine, didn't notice any major changes other than the games in playstation pocket only runs initially, shows up the first screen with the disclaimer text on and then quits out. I also noticed that in order to play even crash bandicoot which is the free game on the phone it need to update of around 500mb in size.

Has anyone else had this issue after upgrading to this build?

Will not install on mine, I updated to the latest PC Companion, the phone shows the new update, I can connect the phone to the memory card but soon as I go to do the update it wants to connect to the media Transfer mode it just sits there saying it is trying to connect to my phone then give the message unable to connect. I have tried it several times, restarted phone...I am not sure what to do next.

Upvote 0
My Xperia Play decided it wanted to run a firmware update to build 4.0.2.A.0.42 Required hooking up to a PC to do it. No other problems and all seemed to work fine, didn't notice any major changes other than the games in playstation pocket only runs initially, shows up the first screen with the disclaimer text on and then quits out. I also noticed that in order to play even crash bandicoot which is the free game on the phone it need to update of around 500mb in size.

Has anyone else had this issue after upgrading to this build?

reply: I tried updating with pc companion to 4.0 but halfway it says unable to install components! can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Verizon doesn't have a 4.x firmware release.

they were supposed to start pushing it as of yesterday. i can't get my phone to find it yet.

if/when i update it, will i loose root on my phone and will it still be rootable afterwards?

i had been running custom roms on my phone for a bit but there were just a few too many things that didn't work so well with the roms so i wen't back to the stock rom.

Upvote 0
they were supposed to start pushing it as of yesterday. i can't get my phone to find it yet.

if/when i update it, will i loose root on my phone and will it still be rootable afterwards?

i had been running custom roms on my phone for a bit but there were just a few too many things that didn't work so well with the roms so i wen't back to the stock rom.

Well, we've been tracking it on XDA, and so far nobody has it. A couple of us with unlocked bootloaders are trying to get it so we can see if root remains (via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper) but so far nobody's gotten it, so nobody knows.

Pax

Upvote 0
Well, we've been tracking it on XDA, and so far nobody has it. A couple of us with unlocked bootloaders are trying to get it so we can see if root remains (via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper) but so far nobody's gotten it, so nobody knows.

Pax

the information is on verizons website on how to download it. both forced and manually. so it shouldn't be much longer hopefully.

Upvote 0
It came out yesterday, bricked a couple of us with unlocked bootloaders, so far meh from user reviews

when i try to do the manual update now it sits at the checking for newer software screen for a few minutes and then tells me there's an error and to try again in a few minutes. before it would take about five seconds to check for new software.

Upvote 0
Wipe cache. If you use gtalk, don't update, it kills it.

i finally got it to work. i lost my root though. i tried using that romkeeper program or whatever is was that was being talked about in that xda thread but it didn't work. i just used flashtool to go back to 2.3.3 for now since there didn't seem to be anything that i couldn't do without. i'll wait until there's a way to root again before i upgrade. i would have kept it at the 2.3.4 but i lose about 60mb of storage because of the extra apps that i originally removed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones