Xperia Play on T-mobileGeneral

1. jedeca

jedeca New Member

Hi, guys, this's my first post in this forum~

Im thinking to get this phone, but im a little bit confused about its frequency. i wanna make sure it will work in U.S tmob's data plan(3g/4g)
    I've kept calling tmob's rep, but no one can give me any answer except one of them said that it can use tmob's 4g.
    that's what the seller said about the phone
    HK version or Europe Version No difference and you can use for sure for 2G,
    This is 2G Network
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network
    HSDPA 900 / 2100

I'm not sure what 3g/4g frequency that tmob uses,becuz im kinda new to this type of technic. so can anyone tell me can i get this phone using tmob's 3g.tyvm

Advertisement
  2. jedeca

jedeca New Member

so sad no one reply me?
    but what if this phone is not tmobile 3g/4g capable, is it still worth getting?
  3. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

The Xperia Play is not 4g compatible as far as I know so the seller lied about that.
  4. walt3rd

walt3rd New Member

I bought the Xperia play and so far i can only get 2G
    it doesn't recognize 3g, I am on a 4g plan but for some reason it only gets EDGE, I tryed adding a new APN and still doesnt work, probably it doesnt read T-Mobile's frequencies, it sucks.
  5. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member

3g works here in Canada.
  6. famouswolfe

famouswolfe New Member

Sorry, I just stumbled upon this. You probably have found the answer, but I will post it so maybe some other person may find it useful.

T-mobile's network uses band 4 (1700/2100mhz) for their 3G/4G services. The phone in question (Xperia play) only has the 2100mhz band, therefore it will only get 2G speeds (slow, but still capable of browsing the web). Same goes for the iphone etc. For a phone to be compatible with T-mobile's 3G/4G service it MUST have BOTH the 1700 & 2100 mhz band. Really the only phones that have those bands are T-mobile's phones and a handful of others (google the Nokia N9, that phone is 100% compatible on T-mobile's 3G/4G network). I know I personally wanted to curse out Apple :D when they decided to put in some band that only Japan uses instead of the 1700mhz band in the iphone 4. Hope this helps!!
  7. famouswolfe

famouswolfe New Member

The frequencies used in Canada are different from those used in the US, particularly the ones used by T-mobile. AT&T uses frequencies similar to those in Canada.