• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia Ray wifi problems

kazzye

Jan 6, 2012
I bought an Xperia Ray about a month ago but from the beginning I have been having problems connecting to wifi.

I generally only try to connect at home. My husband has a Samsung Galaxy S and has no problems connecting to our home wifi. We've tried changing the channel but it is no better.

The problem is that it connects but it is VERY slow to do anything, either check gmail, navigate through Facebook, browse ... If I use the mobile connection it is MUCH quicker. However I am using up my mobile allocation too quickly and can't see why I shouldn't be able to use my home wifi when I am home.

Everything else in our house connects fine. I've checked the settings, downloaded WiFi Manager app, which shows that it is connected and it has two bars but it is still so slow.

It is set to Never Sleep, password is entered. We can find no reason for this, other than maybe the wifi reception is poor on the Ray.

Has anyone had this problem and is there anything I can do/change/download to sort this problem?

Thanks.

Only apps are preloaded, so facebook, gmail, then imdb, youtube, a few games, solitaire, mahjong, free for words, wouldn't think any of those would hog bandwidth. Plus when I connect by mobile data it's as quick as anything. My husband works in IT and has tried different settings on the router but nothing helped so far.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Since your husband has already tried all settings I can only suggest that you take a copy of all loaded apps and then do a factory reset.after that see if your router is on dhcp and note it's ssid and password and whether it's security is wep or wpk etc.now after the factory reset, please turn wifi on and allow new network notification.after some time the home network should be detected.now enter the required data noted earlier and check again.if this time it doesn't work probably you need to go to the repair centre please.

Upvote 0
Since your husband has already tried all settings I can only suggest that you take a copy of all loaded apps and then do a factory reset.after that see if your router is on dhcp and note it's ssid and password and whether it's security is wep or wpk etc.now after the factory reset, please turn wifi on and allow new network notification.after some time the home network should be detected.now enter the required data noted earlier and check again.if this time it doesn't work probably you need to go to the repair centre please.

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay, been working hard!!

Factory reset hasn't helped. This problem has been there from the beginning. Can't take back to the store as I've had the phone more than 14 days, can't send off for repair as I need the phone for checking work emails when out and about.

Getting really fed up of smartphones now, had a HTC before and that constantly disconnected from the wifi (sent that back to HTC 3 times and they couldn't solve it), now this one is so slow. How can it be a router problem if husband's Samsung Galaxy connects all the time with no problems and doesn't lose problem and isn't slow?

anything else I can try to optimise the wifi or is it just the phone?

How do I contact the repair centre? Would that be Sony themselves?

Many thanks!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help in this matter Josh.

I tried the above but there was no improvement.

My husband downloaded a speed test to the phone and we established that the ping and download speed are fine, but the upload speed starts quite quick and then slows right down and around 77% stops for quite a while. We suspect this has something to do with the problem.

I can't send the phone to sony as I don't have a replacement to use in its absence and am heavily reliant on my phone for business reasons, so I imagine I'll end up getting hold of a Samsung as my husband's works fine and selling the Xperia. Such a pity, this is a beautiful phone and great in all other ways but letting itself down massively in the wifi connection for me.

Have you tried updating the phone or the Repair Phone option on PC Companion? If you did then the only option would be to contact your local Sony Mobile office for info on how to send the phone to the repair center for an evaluation. Try this list to get the appropriate phone number to call
Contact info

Upvote 0
When I have a replacement phone to use I will send it for checkup if it is free and then if they can fix the problem I would keep the Xperia as it really is a beautiful phone. I'm just fed up of trying to fix the problem, I can't find anyone with a similar problem, no one knows what is causing it, I've updated the phone and run phone repair (which it looks like is a factory reset) but no improvement. Most recent upload time averaged at 6!! as opposed to download time of 900 and something.

I'll report back and let you know how I get on. In the meantime if anyone has had a similar problem and been able to fix it I am still gratefu for any answers :)

thanks.

if u have to buy one Samsung then how about sending it for one checkup, please?
we dont like friends leaving :)

Upvote 0
Hi kazzye,

Just googled the same problem and your post came up top. I'd noticed that my Wifi speed measured 1.2Mbits/s and upload around the same (measured through Google Play downloads and online speed tester).

Only noticed it that slow over 3G or Wifi at home where I've usually got the bluetooth on and streaming audio. The measurements above were with the bluetooth on (but not streaming audio).

Switched off the bluetooth and 3 consecutive measurements from the same online speed tester show an immediate jump (albeit slightly erratic) to somewhere between 6-10Mbits/s download and 2Mbits/s upload.

The hardware inside these devices and I suspect most devices (laptops/netbooks/tablets) will combine the 3G modem/Wifi/Bluetooth into a single module and the capabilities vary between each provider as to how well they cope with multiple active air interfaces. Anyway that's a different discussion.

I hope you get to test this and it works for you, just test with wifi+bluetooth on and then with only wifi on and bluetooth off.

Jas

Upvote 0
i bought my xperia ray few months ago.and my phone wifi is not working properly :thinking:.when i switch on my phone wifi all the wifi routers are being detected.when i tryed to connect by entering password etc it is showing connecting.......saved,secured with wpa2 it is showing like this.but not connecting.even when i was beside the router the signal is also very very low.this is the same problem when i try to connect to any wifi router .so please tell me the solution or other alternative.

waiting for your reply

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones