• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia S freezing and shuts down apps

Hi everyone,

my name is Alex. I'm 28 years old and living in Berlin/Germany. Since the beginning of July I own a Sony Xperia S with ICS and I love it!!! The camera is just amazing and since my previous smartphone was an old Blackberry Bold 9000 it's a new and totally awesome user experience with Android OS for me.

Unfortunately I'm facing major problems with my device. Here are some details:

Sony Xperia LT26i
Baseband-Configuration: 8660-AAABQOLYM-314010-15
Kernel-Version: 3.0.8+1.0.21100-30145-01926-g787c968
Build-Nr: 6.1.A.0.452
Android Version: 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich

About every 24-30 hours of usage it freezes when starting an app (doesn

Hello there, was really stumped reading that, the only thing I could think of was factory reset.. Which you have done.

Curious if it's an app.

If you were to factory reset again don't install any apps for a few days, see if it still does it.
If it does, then all I can think of is hardware, even then though, I've never heard of this happening before.

Reactions: Spitu
Upvote 0
It could be the issue of low ram after that amount of time running, as we all know ics is a memory hog, after you have tried Tyseyh advice you could try rebooting your phone every day or go into settings, developer options, background process limit, and select one of the lower process limits like 1 or 2 and see if that helps.

Let us know how you get on ;)

Reactions: Spitu
Upvote 0
There it was again. Argh!!! I will now restart and set the background app limit to two. Let's see what happens.

What does such an app limitation usually cause when your phone is working fine?

[edit]: Funny, when I just checked back my post at the official Sony Support Forum, there was a new thread by a guy, claiming to have freezes from time to time as well and guess what: They told him to perform a limitation of the background processes. I'm really psyched now!!!

Upvote 0
Wow, this seems to work just right! I've began to install Apps again and there wasn't any freeze since my last post. There were 2-3 crashes from Facebook though, but nevermind. I've started the app again and it worked. This is a new record:). Thank you very very much Del1701 and Tyseyh. I'll let you know how this is developing further on.

Upvote 0
Just in case you're interested on what happened to my phone in the end, I'm gonna tell you. If not, you can stop reading NOW:D

It turned out, that the app limitation didn't solve the problem. About 4 days, it happened again. So, I decided to finally send it to the sony service (acutally a contractor, but never mind). After about 1 week I got it back with a writing:

"We did a new-programming of your phone. It's now conforming the specifications of the manufacturer".

One and a half day later, it came up again. So, I did a re-install with SUS and installed no apps at all. Didn't work. I got myself a new micro-SIM card, but that wasn't it either (my first one wasen't cutted from SIM by the way).

Well, I think it's a great device and so one more time to the service.
I got it back with the message:

"We changed the mainboard. Your phone now has a new IMEI number and conforms the specifications of the manufacturer".

aaaaand IT'S WORKING!!! This is soooo awesome. A totally new user-experience for me. Best phone ever.

Thanks again for your kind steadfast support anyways, guys. I appreciate.

Reactions: jaykesrwani
Upvote 0
I'm glad I found your post/s but am clinging to hope that I don't have to go through the same drama with a faulty phone :-/

It's currently updating, finally. I have been trying to do this between to different PCs for nearly 8 hours. The first pc runs XP SP3 and kept getting to the "checking phone" and then freezing. The second is my overloaded W7 netbook. After 2 false starts, it's looking promising - update wise anyway.

I was wondering if your phone is rooted? Mine's not, does this make much difference? (Btw, rooted means something completely different in Australia but I won't go there).

Did you find out if there are apps that are able to help find out what the problem was either? The responses I've got so far to my questions are just "factory reset and see how you go". I find it odd that it wasn't one of Sony's support that tried to answer the question in the Sony Forum. Wishful thinking? Lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones