• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia X10 3g questions

johnaachen

Apr 14, 2010
Hello all this is my first post so be nice! I got the phone last week and very disappointed with low sound volume but seems I am not alone....anyway that's not my question.....

I am interested in how much my 3G connection is active and how much data my phone is receiving/sending. I installed the 3G Watchdog app and for example this morning with browsing BBC website with NO downloads etc it is showing 4.76MB data alone (3.96MB received and 838KB transmitted). My 3G connection is almost always flashing with the arrows showing data transfer but what is it?!

Facebook has all updates off
Email is synced hourly
Moxier calendar daily

I seem to have a "background" data transfer of 3MB/day and this is without any browsing etc...what is going on?!

Thanks,

John

ETA Just 10 mins later with no browsing it's now saying 5.19MB!

Hi i am not sure i can help with whats actually using that amount of data but you could just switch your 3G connection off and just put it back on when you need it, This should cut down on the amount of data the phone is sending/recieving and it will also greatly improve your battery life.

To switch to using 2G only...

Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode and select "GSM Only".

Upvote 0
Just to add on to what SMG said, what I do is :

Settings > Wireless Networks > Mobile Networks >
UNTICK MMS & Data (press yes when it tells you you'll disable MMS & Data..)
Change Network mode to GSM.

This reduces power usage by only using 2G which saves battery & stops the phone using the data connection. If you want to update facebook/go online just go back to settings and put they settings back till you wanna come off again.

If you get an MMS, then you'll get a message on your phone with a Download button. Just go in and turn on "MMS & Data" again, then press Download. Simples.

I know this doesn't answer your internet data usage issue, it could be a background process just "calling home" every now and then. But hey, do what I said & it's not an issue, right? :)

Upvote 0
Hi i am not sure i can help with whats actually using that amount of data but you could just switch your 3G connection off and just put it back on when you need it, This should cut down on the amount of data the phone is sending/recieving and it will also greatly improve your battery life.

To switch to using 2G only...

Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode and select "GSM Only".

Will give that a try - thank you. I would still like to know what the 3G data is when the phone is just sat their with all apps closed!

Upvote 0
Will give that a try - thank you. I would still like to know what the 3G data is when the phone is just sat their with all apps closed!

I don't know why you're so worried. You have the wrong phone if you don't have an unlimited data package on your mobile contract.

The bottom line is that you have a smart phone that auto updates etc so requires a constant connection. 3-5MB is not much data (average web page is 3MB) so I really dont understand the 'OMFGShock! :eek: '.

If you're worried that much, I would download Juice Defender from the App store. It's really for saving power but it turns your phones 3G/GPRS/APN on for only 1 minute in every 15 while the phone is idle. Obviously this saves battery while still allowing you to get regular updates. It also comes with a widget that is basically just an on/off switch for your APN/data service. Better than going through the phone settings every time you wanna turn it on/off.

report back :)

-pup-

Upvote 0
To be honest i have found 2G fast enough for updates etc and i hardly ever use 3G i had it pratically turned off for most of the 1 and a half years i had My G1 as well.

Wifi is alot more usefull to me it's also faster and seems to be less of a battery drainer and with the widget on the homescreen you turn the wifi on and off very quickly.

3G is obviously only worth it if you plan on doing some seriously browsing out of the range of a wifi connection.

Upvote 0
my network connection drops off whenever I off my hp and I don't know how to switch it on. tried network setting, set to GSM and WCDMA always. no 3G!! HELP!!

Hold on so what are you trying to do? Network connection to what? drops off when?

If you just want a 3G only connection (which will seriously drain your battery) then change the network setting to WCDMA only. Although if its not finding a 3G connection its probably to do with what network your with and where abouts you are.

Upvote 0
I don't know why you're so worried. You have the wrong phone if you don't have an unlimited data package on your mobile contract.

The bottom line is that you have a smart phone that auto updates etc so requires a constant connection. 3-5MB is not much data (average web page is 3MB) so I really dont understand the 'OMFGShock! :eek: '.

If you're worried that much, I would download Juice Defender from the App store. It's really for saving power but it turns your phones 3G/GPRS/APN on for only 1 minute in every 15 while the phone is idle. Obviously this saves battery while still allowing you to get regular updates. It also comes with a widget that is basically just an on/off switch for your APN/data service. Better than going through the phone settings every time you wanna turn it on/off.

report back :)

-pup-
Thanks for reply...I do have an "unlimited" data connection with VF (500MB) but doing some calculations and assuming that 3G Watchdog was correct at the rate my phone was exchanging information I would have exceeded my 500MB with NO browsing at all! This is why I was concerned! I am still not sure what it's doing as with no browsing I reckon it has a background data connection of about 3 MB/ day easily....which is potentially 100MB/month which is 1/5 of my allowed amount without any browsing! It does seem to be quite random when it activates the 3g. So forgive my ignorance is GSM 2g and WCDMA 3g? Or what are they?

Thanks,

John

Upvote 0
OKay thanks again....what can we do (if anything!) about putting pressure on SE to sort out the phone volume? It's pretty much redundant if there is any background noise eg being outside!

I used my phone about 10 metres away from the motorway (M275) today while some workmen were using an industrial wood-chipper nearby, and I managed to take the call fine. I noticed when I first got the phone that calls sounded pretty quiet, then I realised that all my other phones had slightly curved faces (not eyes, nose etc, you know what I mean, lol) where as the X10 is very flat which means the speaker is slightly further away when the phone's flat to your ear. I found that simply pushing it slightly harder towards my ear made it sound much louder. The volume is perfectly fine for me but I think SE are aware of the complaint, so I dare say that this will be resolved in their soon-to-be-released mini-update :)

So forgive my ignorance is GSM 2g and WCDMA 3g? Or what are they?

Thanks,

John

Yes, GSM and CDMA are 2G, WCDMA, GPRS and EDGE are 2.5G and UMTS and HSDPA are 3G. LTE and WiMax are considered 4G :)

-pup-

Upvote 0
Hi there.

I have the same experience. Also installed 3G watchdog.
I wonder if there is a 3G watchdog that can keep track of which applications are doing the sucking?

I can understand google contact, google calendar, facebook, android market and a few other apps wanting to get/sync data all the time, but I do not see rules anywhere helping us to limit/specify to each app when to suck and what to suck with.. it. wi-fi, 2g or 3g.

Anyone out there have a 3G watchdog that can attack as well as monitor?

--
Clothahump.:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones