Xperia X10 data usage ?Support

Last Updated:

1. Gentle Jesus

Gentle Jesus Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

I just get my Xperia X10 and need to know a few questions about the data usage.

I am orange Dolphin 15 plan I get 250mb of internet usage per month.

If I am at home using wifi does that use 250mb which I am allowed each month ?

I use facebook and the auto update timescape thing. How much MB will that use ?

Will I only be able to use timescape with 3g or can I use 2g to get updates aswell ?

Gentle Jesus

Advertisement
  2. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

no

the 250mb is ONLY when running 2g/3g connection, NOT wifi

As an examble last month i had wifi on for all my permanent stuff at home

all 3g updates for twitter etc used about 200mb

3. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I would suggest you keep wifi on at all times when it is available, otherwise any apps connecting to the internet will use your data

4. Gentle Jesus

Thanks guys

any good apps to monitor data usage ?

5. MrWomble

Personally i use - 3G WATCHDOG

6. MrWomble

7. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

+1 but I don't use it as I have a 3GB data plan, and I've only ever gone over it once in nearly 2 years, which was when I didn't have broadband at home, so I was using tether apps

8. MrWomble

hahaha so do i but its neice to see how and where i use data when not connected to wifi

simply cos i can

9. Gentle Jesus

ha thanks guys again :D

im new to all this android stuff so yea just hope I dont go over my 250mb usage on the first month haha

I dont think I will have many apps anyways but only time will tell.

Also is there a way to set timescape so that I can manually update it on my own instead of every 15mins or 30 mins etc cos i only use it for facebook ?

10. allbutlost

allbutlost Well-Known Member

Why bother with Timescape at all if you only use it for facebook? I don't see the point. Just use Facebook for Android (download it from the market even if you already have it -- I found the one my X10 came with was actually out of date even though the version number appeared to be up to date. I re-downloaded it and got better features).

I use a data counter called... Data Counter o_O It works just fine, it monitors both my 3g usage and my wifi usage (even though I don't really need it to monitor my wifi usage, but it's nice to be able to see what I -would- have used had I used 3g) and puts them in separate categories, and then counts everything by day / week / month / total.

Since installing the app maybe three weeks ago, I've only used something like 180 megs, and I did a lot of surfing PLUS I tethered it one day to my netbook and surfed the net that way for a couple of hours .. I'm kinda disappointed in myself, because I have a 6 gig dataplan, obviously I have to kick my data consumption up a bit :D rofl. Time to do more tethering.

That being said, every time I put my phone away, I turn off 3g, so I don't have anything polling the 3g network / pulling data while I'm not looking.

11. Profile7

Profile7 Active Member

I use Call Meter NG. It's free and monitors the usage of calls, SMS and Data with lots of different features to suit your billing mode. It works a treat.

12. Gentle Jesus