• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
- Battery life is abysmal - a few minutes of internet access and 5% is used up. Makes very little difference if you turn off data synch.

Have you updated to the latest software as most not battery improves after this

- Email software out of the box is hopeless and force closes all the time.

Never seen this problem mentioned - try DROIDMAIL from the market instead

- Calendar layout is nuts. Could they have made the times any smaller? I didn't know there was a font that small!

Again in the Market - try JORTE

- If you change the label of a mobile phone number in the phone book, it won't appear as a mobile number available to you in sms's

Again never experienced this, but try using HANDCENT SMS as your service

- Apps cannot be backed up if you have to reset the OS. Too bad if they cost a lot.

Apps you have purchased stay in the Market under downloads as long as you log in with same details, so this is not an issue, just an oversight - Appsaver will sync all your apps to SD Card - APPBRAIN syncs them to the appbrain website so you can instantly download every app again

- There is no provision for checking internet data usage on the phone. Even my carrier couldn't believe this one.

Nice little app with a homescreen widget called 3G WATCHDOG - again from the market

What's good about them? Only what's good generally with smart phones. But if I didn't live in a remote area with poor coverage and need this phone because it seems to work better than most in this area - it's only real positive - I would have it on eBay in a blink

The whole thing with smartphones is that yoiu can customize them ANY way you want - its not all about what comes standard on the phone like the old days of the N95, hence why there is a marketplace, why there's a huge userbase - even new Nokia phones don't have everything on them these days, hence their own OVI STORE

Hope this helps you out a little

Upvote 0
I have searched for apps for each of these issues and never come across any of those you mentioned, which is interesting in itself. As an example, I search the market on the phone for a calendar app and there are maybe half a dozen or so followed by all sorts of calendar accessories but that's it.

In any event, herein lies the issue. I'm at a loss to understand why Android users accept that basically they buy a lump of plastic and silicon and then have to populated it with all the things they need. Except for the browser, not one of the applications that come with the phone works properly. Aside from the ones I mentioned, who on earth came up with the Mediascape concept and functionality. It's hopelessly clunky, doesn't scroll properly through the various parts of it and is so slow. The title of the application sounds so comprehensive but it's just a ruse.

When you find an app, invariably it wants access to everything you do on your phone even though it has nothing to do with the app. The information that they glean is sold on to pay for their development costs. Are you all so willing to hand over your private information in order to use a smart phone? I don't want to go to an iPhone but the applications that come with it are pretty slick. How is it that we allow phone manufacturers to develop lazy software - and I use the term software loosely - all in the name of open source wonder.

My final straw has come. I've discovered that contacts were dropping out of my phonebook. At first I thought it was just one or two here and there. I then discovered that over three quarters of them had disappeared from A to P and they were numbers that I hadn't used very much. I have over 500 contacts so that was quite a loss. I've discovered that this is a problem known to SE and that it has something to do with synching with gmail. If you don't want to synch with gmail and have your contacts exposed to abuse as many friends of mine have, there is no solution to this problem. And even if you do synch, the problem keeps recurring.

This is a terrible phone. I am about to press for a full refund.

Upvote 0
I have searched for apps for each of these issues and never come across any of those you mentioned, which is interesting in itself. As an example, I search the market on the phone for a calendar app and there are maybe half a dozen or so followed by all sorts of calendar accessories but that's it.
That's actually the benefit of Android. You're not force to use ONE application that the manufactuere choses. You can customize your user experience and pick out an app that fits your needs and taste. I'm going to use a twitter example. If you don't use twitter, why should you have a twitter app on your phone? I like the option to download an app to use. If the twitter app by twitter doesn't satisfy me, I can use a much better twitter app made by another developer that will have features I prefer. This might take awhile as I go and sort through all of the twitters app and test them out before I can find one I really like. I know most people (out there) don't have such patience. I spent 2 months testing over a dozen Notes apps before I found one that I really like.

When you find an app, invariably it wants access to everything you do on your phone even though it has nothing to do with the app. The information that they glean is sold on to pay for their development costs. Are you all so willing to hand over your private information in order to use a smart phone? I don't want to go to an iPhone but the applications that come with it are pretty slick.
Well you're given what kind of permission is required to run the app before you download. The apps for the iPhone don't tell you what permission is being used. You are left to put 100% of your trust on Apple's app checking ability. I rather know how the app is using my data then being clueless about it. You need to know what those permissions mean, read up the reviews on the apps and it comes down to how comfortable you are with the permission.

What I will say is that Android requires more work, dedication and knowledge than some other non-android smart phones that 'work' out of the box.

My final straw has come. I've discovered that contacts were dropping out of my phonebook. At first I thought it was just one or two here and there. I then discovered that over three quarters of them had disappeared from A to P and they were numbers that I hadn't used very much. I have over 500 contacts so that was quite a loss. I've discovered that this is a problem known to SE and that it has something to do with synching with gmail. If you don't want to synch with gmail and have your contacts exposed to abuse as many friends of mine have, there is no solution to this problem. And even if you do synch, the problem keeps recurring.

Ouch...sorry to hear that :( Can you explain further of what you mean by the bold comment?

Reactions: Juglistrix
Upvote 0

Is there any thing in particular that your looking for ? Android Gives you the opportunity to choose what YOU want to use on your phone and thats why it sets its self apart from other older generations of phones.. if you could be a little specific about what your looking for... id be glad to give you the exact search tags so that you can find them ,, having said that i can even suggest or give you reviews of apps that are good and have worked well on android devices. there are tons of people on this Forum who have been on android since the testing days and know a hell of a lot more than i do. Im a Noob my self but i have given my self time to learn the os and to explore its funtionality and i found it quite promising and i learnt alot from Forums just like these. So just give it time and chose your apps wisely , The ones that you think will suit you and im sure that ul see android the way most of us do :)

Upvote 0
Roze - I'm relatively new to this forum so I don't know how to direct this to your attention.

Re the phonebook entries disappearing, check out this link:
Main: Phone numbers disappearing from....

There are others but clearly, this is a problem that SE knows about. I'm about to go away for a few weeks and I've no idea if alll my contacts are going to stay on my phone. I have to take my old one with me and copy them over if they do but that doesn't help for contacts that have been added to the Xperia since then. I only discover they're missing when I go to call them.

Upvote 0
Juglistrix - It's hard to give you a wish list of the things that I want. If you check out my post of October 18, it lists the issues that I have with various apps that come with the phone. I suppose what I would want are apps that don't have that problem. MrWomble, in his October 19 reply, suggested some, which I haven't looked at yet, having been away a bit since then.

In any event, how do you accept opening up all your private information to the app developers as most want access to everything that lives and breathes on your phone for no purpose related to the app itself. As I said in that earlier post, the only out of the box app that's any good is the browser - at least it's better than any of the others I've looked at - Dolphin, Opera. I use K9 as my email client which is okay, I use ColorNote for my notepad (what phone these days comes without a notepad?). That's all of the central functions of the phone I've downloaded. A dialer that doesn't have unnecessary keystrokes, a calendar where the times are readable and otherwise sensible, a phonebook where you can turn the phone on its side and get a wider, two handed keypad (for some reason this app perversely has to be used upright with a tiny keyboard in that mode), and, while we're at it a keyboard that, among other things, allows easy insertion of the cursor between letters (if you use the standard keyboard with the direction arrows, it also has an enter key which can easily be tapped and inadvertently send a text message mid composition). This is just a sample.

Upvote 0
In any event, how do you accept opening up all your private information to the app developers as most want access to everything that lives and breathes on your phone for no purpose related to the app itself.

Well all i can simply say on this point is this

Most applications require access to other parts of the phone (SD Card for storage - Internet access for updates - Contacts for calendar data etc)

A lot of what the application states that it needs access to is highly valid, granted, now and again its hard to see why a particular app needs access to certain data, but look at it this way

Android apps tell you what they are doing, when was the last time you saw an App for the iPhone actually disclose what information it is accessing in the background ??

And to finish on another point, you do realise that it is actually illegal to collect personal data to sell on, so it is nigh on impossible that any app would do this, as Google would bear the brunt for this

Upvote 0

This is a terrible phone. I am about to press for a full refund.
I would love to hear what you meant by the bolded sentence.

Roze - I'm relatively new to this forum so I don't know how to direct this to your attention.

Re the phonebook entries disappearing, check out this link:
Main: Phone numbers disappearing from....

There are others but clearly, this is a problem that SE knows about. I'm about to go away for a few weeks and I've no idea if alll my contacts are going to stay on my phone. I have to take my old one with me and copy them over if they do but that doesn't help for contacts that have been added to the Xperia since then. I only discover they're missing when I go to call them.

I haven't had this issue with my phone, I can just help/answer generic Android question.

I searched to see other missing contacts inquieries and not sure if you've read these:

http://androidforums.com/droid-supp...9-not-all-contacts-showing-up.html#post212159 <--this one is interesting, it has the contact as hidden, if you do a search, do you see the contacts?

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/30975-phone-contacts-disappeared.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-supp...acts-disappeared-after-update.html#post179634 <--this post seems helpful. Not sure if that will work on the SEX10

And yes, you can have your phone not sync with Google, but that disables basically all of the features on the phone. I don't think you will be able to access the market without an Google account.

Upvote 0
Hey, I got the X10i a few days ago, 1st time android user - love it!
The only issue I've had is that I lost a the gesture builder (I think this was a preloaded app?) Not sure how it happened: may have been when I loaded music files across, or customising the homescreen.
Any suggestions on how to get this back? Or will a factory reset be the only option?

Upvote 0
Heya everyone :) Im new here so bear with my ignorance but i have a question thats really frustrating me. Ive had my Sony Ericsson x10 mini for a couple of months now and kinda like it but don't use the apps but use the music for gym. What i wanna know is how can i organise all my music into albums. Its only lists artists in alphabetical order which is totally annoying :mad:. Can anyone help or is there an app i can download or am i stuck with a nice looking but usless phone? :cool:

xx

Upvote 0
Heya everyone :) Im new here so bear with my ignorance but i have a question thats really frustrating me. Ive had my Sony Ericsson x10 mini for a couple of months now and kinda like it but don't use the apps but use the music for gym. What i wanna know is how can i organise all my music into albums. Its only lists artists in alphabetical order which is totally annoying :mad:. Can anyone help or is there an app i can download or am i stuck with a nice looking but usless phone? :cool:

xx

There are a number of music apps on the market that allows you to play music by albums. I've listed the top music apps on the market (what most members here recommend). I suggest you try them all to see the one you like.

Poweramp: If your album songs are already in album folders, this one is great :) It also has the best sound quality as you can control the equalizer. The free trial is for 2 weeks. This is the one I bought.

MixZing: Has the ability to sort by folders

3 (aka cube): Visually stunning app, I believe it sorts by album and alphabetically.

Winamp: this one is great if you want to import your itune music. Browse by Artists, Albums, Songs or Genres

doubleTwist: another great one if to sync your itune music. I haven't used this in over a year so I'm not sure if it browse by Albums.

Upvote 0
Please don't tell me people are still using Xperia X10's. I finally gave up and replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy S2. I can't tell you how over the moon I am to have a phone where everything works. The camera actually takes the shot when you press the buton, not five minutes later. You can actually hear through the speaker. How revolutionary. The stock apps actually work well. No ridiculous Mediascape and Timescape, which were attempts at flashiness to obscure a complete lack of substance. I will never but a Sony Ericcson anything ever again. Ugghhh!!!!

Upvote 0
I really do feel bad for people who never fully unlock the potential in the x10.

Rooting and installing a custom ROM is a must have for anyone who actually uses their phone as a smart phone.
Amen!

My buddy has a GS2 and my god it's bloated to hell and back. As for the battery, I can get 2 days easy on a full charge, 3 if I push it. Everything on my phone works like it should, no problems here. It's no GS2 but it's not a bad device with the right mods/tweaks.

Upvote 0
:eek:Hi Beau, you often talk about rooting + installing a custom ROM. Do you have a fact sheet that can be downloaded or printed that gives the pros and cons and how to do it. From bbbpeterson. Thank you

Nope.

There are no cons, only pros.

If you have 2.3 installed, you want to install the 2.9.1 flashtool with GBready root.

http://azuzu.spice.net.au/tools/X10_GB_Root/FlashTool_0.2.9.1-GBready_root_xRec.exe

And you read over this -

http://androidforums.com/x10-all-things-root/420821-problem-installing-xrecovery-2-3-a.html

Reactions: bbbpeterson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones