• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root XTR Sense 4.1

Could anyone please give a step-by-step instruction how to upgrade from version 4.0.6.1 ?

As I understand the 4.1 version does not need an EXT partition (?). So What do I do if I have currently have an EXT partition with all the apps on it (using apps2sd and cache2sc).

Please?
Peter

Upvote 0
Could anyone please give a step-by-step instruction how to upgrade from version 4.0.6.1 ?

As I understand the 4.1 version does not need an EXT partition (?). So What do I do if I have currently have an EXT partition with all the apps on it (using apps2sd and cache2sc).

Please?
Peter

Ya I was wondering the same thing...should we format our SD cards first?

Upvote 0
This ROM is legit. Zach said an xtrROM version should be available this weekend.

Cache2cache is neat... I'm not going to explain in detail as to what it does (Zach does in the XDA thread), but you won't need Apps2SD unless you've got a ton of apps.

Also, the Gscripts for setting the OC max and min, memory management, and Dalvik heap size are great.

The non-Beta could be even better, as Zach is considering an integration with Conap & Decadanc3's new CFS kernel.

Just when you thought 2.1 Sense on the Eris couldn't possibly run FASTER on the Eris or make your phone experience better (more space, remove bloat apps easily, overclock more efficiently, etc.), zach.xtr strikes again!

Hands down one of the best dev's on XDA right now.

Upvote 0
anyone try this out yet?

Im flashing now and the boot animation alone gets me very excited lol

[GPL][ROM-beta][9/7/2010] xtrSENSE4.1 [apps2sd,oc,jit,flash10]- HTC Sense - xda-developers

I flashed the rom, got it all set up with cache2cache, etc. It seemed to be working well and I did an Nan BU and went on to XTRSense. When I tried to restore the 4.1 I got an error message and could'nt restore. This had never happened before and I wondered if the cache2cache was the culprit. What's your expierence?

Upvote 0
I flashed the rom, got it all set up with cache2cache, etc. It seemed to be working well and I did an Nan BU and went on to XTRSense. When I tried to restore the 4.1 I got an error message and could'nt restore. This had never happened before and I wondered if the cache2cache was the culprit. What's your expierence?

thats happened to me before too, but not on this rom yet
every once in a while when i try to restore a nand it wont let me and i basically have to start over again
but i havent even backed up 4.1 yet, i just flashed and have been running since, right now im afraid ill mess up something too good lol

Upvote 0
how many is "a ton of apps"? I have 20 or so and have been using apps2sd on 4.0.60.

I'm currently running 42 Market apps, many of them are LARGE apps, and I'm not using Apps2SD. :D

Cache2cache is awesome. I still have 84.78MB of Available Space!

EDIT: Also, I've been running my phone with normal usuage (a few texts and some light internet browsing) since 6 AM (it's now 1 PM here) and I'm at 81% battery life. This ROM is ridiculous.

EDIT 2: In case you're wondering the Gscripts I ran to get my battery life like this, here are all of the Gscripts I ran in setting up this ROM...

1. cache2cache
  2. set_cpu_high_max (OC's you to 748MHz maximum)
  3. set_cpu_low_min (UC's you to 19.2MHz minimum... I'm assuming this is a huge battery saver. Haven't noticed any lag at all.)
  4. set_memory_balanced
  5. set_dalvik_vmheapsize_24
  6. remove_amazon
  7. remove_footprints
  8. remove_teeter
  9. remove_stocks (There is a glitch with this script but you can correct it. When loading this Gscript, scroll a few lines down and you'll see "stocks.apk.apk" referenced in there. You need to delete the 2nd .apk before saving the script, then it will run fine.)

Upvote 0

I reposted this on XDA and am still waiting to see if anyone responds. I can't do a wipe/flash at the moment and it will be several hours before I can. If no one replies either here or on XDA, I will test this myself.

Having said that, running over this in my head, I think you probably just had a bad Nandroid BU. I don't think cache2cache would mess up your Restore.

Upvote 0
I'm running Apps2_Internal and when I tried to NAND B/U + ext I got an error. Ran it straight up and it worked. Rebooted after B/U. Went into recovery and restored the successful B/U. All is good.

According to Ti Back up I have 55 "User Installed" apps and I have 68.6MB of free internal phone storage.

This is the fastest SENSE based ROM I've tried yet. xtrROM is the only ROM I've used that is faster and that's only because Launcher Pro is faster than SENSE.

Upvote 0
I'm running Apps2_Internal and when I tried to NAND B/U + ext I got an error. Ran it straight up and it worked. Rebooted after B/U. Went into recovery and restored the successful B/U. All is good.

According to Ti Back up I have 55 "User Installed" apps and I have 68.6MB of free internal phone storage.

This is the fastest SENSE based ROM I've tried yet. xtrROM is the only ROM I've used that is faster and that's only because Launcher Pro is faster than SENSE.

Agreed! I love LP but I use my HTC Music and Photo Albums widgets too much to give them up!

Upvote 0
I'm currently running 42 Market apps, many of them are LARGE apps, and I'm not using Apps2SD. :D

Cache2cache is awesome. I still have 84.78MB of Available Space!

EDIT: Also, I've been running my phone with normal usuage (a few texts and some light internet browsing) since 6 AM (it's now 1 PM here) and I'm at 81% battery life. This ROM is ridiculous.

EDIT 2: In case you're wondering the Gscripts I ran to get my battery life like this, here are all of the Gscripts I ran in setting up this ROM...

1. cache2cache
  2. set_cpu_high_max (OC's you to 748MHz maximum)
  3. set_cpu_low_min (UC's you to 19.2MHz minimum... I'm assuming this is a huge battery saver. Haven't noticed any lag at all.)
  4. set_memory_balanced
  5. set_dalvik_vmheapsize_24
  6. remove_amazon
  7. remove_footprints
  8. remove_teeter
  9. remove_stocks (There is a glitch with this script but you can correct it. When loading this Gscript, scroll a few lines down and you'll see "stocks.apk.apk" referenced in there. You need to delete the 2nd .apk before saving the script, then it will run fine.)

Thanks, I guess i'm not using anything close to a lot of apps.

So. For me to get going with this (i'm sorry for the questions, but i'm still new to android, though i've wiped and reloaded WinMo roms more times than i can remember)

I'm going to backup, wipe and then run the new rom. Since I'm not going to need apps2sd here, is there another step or program to use to help reinstall the ones I have? With WinMo, I could run sashimi to reinstall all my cab files. Is there anything like that for android?

Lastly, the only experience I have with GScript was picking and choosing the scripts that were included in the 4.0.60 version of this rom. I assume some of the ones posted above aren't native in the rom. How do you get those?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Here's Zach's reply over on XDA...

zach.xtr said:
Nand backups are not effected by cache2cache and DO NOT require a nand + ext backup. More than likely this was just a bad backup... :( Unfortunately they do happen every once and a while...

You will only need to run a nand + ext if you are running apps2sd or cache2sd.

Source: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][9/7/2010][GPL] xtrSENSE4.1 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit,flash10]- HTC Sense

Upvote 0
cache2cache ftw.

Most of us don't need anything2SD. with this ROM.

You can't flash Froyo ROMs if you partition your SD card, and it will shorten the lifespan of your SD card. Don't need it with cache2cache. You have 75mb extra to install apps. That's plenty for 99% of us.

Paul,

Are you going to flash CFS or wait to see what Zach does with it (two versions from now)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones