xtrROM 3.1 Beta is posted

Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. SplicedX

SplicedX Well-Known Member

Frisco,
    How is it? I'm waiting to hear some feedback. I will probably flash it after work tonight, regardless!

3. Frisco

I don't yet know why it's still in beta; it is performing just as 3.0.3 has on my device for weeks.

I have not even overclocked it yet, and it's quite fast and clean, just as previous versions.

Still tweaking, configuring and fooling around....

4. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member

I'm flashing it right now to try it, although I prefer complete vanilla roms..

5. Frisco

This one had a very long wait during first boot up, as many ROMs do.

Also, don't be alarmed when, during actual flash, while still at the recovery screen, a long string of "deleting files" scrolls up the viewing area; things go normally following that, which I don't recall seeing before.

I did a nand backup right before factory and dalvik wipes as I did not want to replace 3.0.3 with this version yet.

At any rate, as I mentioned earlier, the ROM performs well, the menus are functionally normal and nothing "beta-like" seems to be occurring as I make calls, text and play Meteor, etc.

Time to have a look in the XDA thread about this ROM and read other user's latest input (I'd like to see input here ;), thus the thread).

6. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member

It's REALLY fast. This is pretty dang smooth. It's the first Sense ROM I've used since rooting and I've got to say it's pretty nice. Didn't have any issues. However, I'm still in love with vanilla right now as I was a leaker and was fed up with Sense and all the HTC apps.

I love how this ROM is a mix, though, between HTC apps and stock ones. But for now, I'll stick with White Widow.

7. Asmith1106

Asmith1106 Well-Known Member

The only thing I see missing is the classic Gmail app... I'm sure it'll be in the full release! or some clever rooter will figure out how to throw it on!

8. Frisco

xtrROMs have little of the Sense feel to them at all, this one included.

What I'm enjoying about this 3.1 is the non-overclocked speed of the thing. I've stuffed all of my apps from Market and my sd card into use, and see no slowdown or evidence of resource loss at all.

Incidentally, here is the list of credits zach shows us:

bertoch for hosting and helping me understand Linux
    dsixda for his time saving kitchen
    ivanmmj and jcase for their base ROMs
    Zanfur for kernel with full OC support
    jcase for the live wallpapers work
    Damageless and TrevE @ xda for a model on how to do apps2sd (originally based on tkirton’s Darktremor A2SD work) and other boot settings
    Konikub for inspiring the raised themed dialer keys
    gr0gmint on how to make jit work with HTC ROMs
    thenestor on help with the DroidXIME keyboard

9. Asmith1106

Asmith1106 Well-Known Member

Also... is there no longer a wallpaper for the lockscreen? or have I somehow messed that up? lol

10. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the xtr Roms and currently running version 3.0.3. If this wasn't a beta, I would have flashed it as soon as it became available, but I need my phone to function 99% perfectly every day...so I'll hold off a bit.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on the beta, Frisco! I might just flash it anyway if I have a slow weekend. haha.

11. Frisco

My wife is in Chicago for a few days and I'm at home, so texting is the biggest use of this ROM so far (she has to text every thing she does when she's away.. :rolleyes:).

It's fast and efficient, I see no anomalies as of yet other than gmail not there although syncing is.

Asmith, the lockscreen background is what I've chosen, as with all ROMs I go into gallery and make my selection there; working normally.

12. shh

shh Well-Known Member

I think HTC Stock Apps Zip is included with the ROM. After you flash the Beta Rom and have updated your phone you can go to Recovery and flash the Stock Apps Zip and you should have Gmail.

13. LED

LED Well-Known Member

^ Just downloaded the ROM and looked inside, no stock apps included.

14. Frisco

apps2sd off and on, flash, jit off and on and lwp are provided and can be flashed.

15. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Can Gmail be restored from a titanium backup onto this new ROM?

16. SplicedX

LED,
    zach.xtr posted a quick update to activate gmail. check the xda thread at the bottom of the original post.

LED likes this.
  17. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

I have been running xtrSense 3.1 for a week or so. Very fast. Zach knows his stuff! Stock apps is an add on to xtrSense so it may be coming to xtrROM soon.

* Like now. ^^

18. Frisco

Yep.. he went ahead and added it, but I tested my old 2.1.1 apps.zip and it went in and worked (tore it out as I don't need it).

This is quite a ROM. I didn't think the last two versions could be topped. I still have not overclocked as it doesn't seem to need it.

Have any of you overclocked this version yet?

19. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Gmail is back... I'm going to flash 3.1 now. Frisco, I'll let you know how overclock goes. I OC'd 3.03, and I plan to run this one OC as well.

Frisco likes this.
  20. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Rebooting now, anyone flash the Flash10 module?

21. SplicedX

Frisco,
    how long did it take to load up 3.1 the first time? i tried last night and i let it sit for about 20 minutes and all it did was loop back over and over from the htc screen to the xtr loading. i only flashed the main xtr zip and none of the modules first. did i not let it go long enough?

22. Frisco

It went for about 8 minutes, as I remembered it being longer than 5 and not 10.

20? .. I'd pull the battery at anything over 10 and re-enter recovery mode, re-wipe all three (factory, dalvik and ext), then re-download the zip to my computer, check the md5 and move it to my phone and re-flash.

But that's just me; ymmv. ;)

Incidentally, has anybody yet used the camera provided on this ROM? It seems quite special as compared to previous versions.

23. SplicedX

thanks Frisco. I dont think i wiped the ext. I'll try again later.

24. Stagnation

Stagnation Well-Known Member

I'm running at 710/710. I haven't noticed much of a performance difference between those settings and the defaults.

25. Frisco

I was thinking that might be the result.

All of these xtrROMs have been very fast, this seems even more so and I think I'll just stick with it not overclocked.

Fwiw, I recovered my 3.0.3 this morning and ran it for a bit and found it to be not faster than this beta, and I'm overclocked on it at 710.

I like going easy on the resources if the ROM is fast anyway: CPU and battery life needn't be taxed if no performance differences can be detected, imo.