xtrRom 4.0.6

Last Updated:

1. ExcessiveIdling

ExcessiveIdling Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    erisman1978 likes this.
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Perhaps if these known issues are posted here it will prevent users from thinking they've got a bum flash or other problem:

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Flash 10 does not always "enable" as reported by users, once "enabled" works okay and you are good to go, check out xtrSENSE for instructions.
    • Pandora radio is not stable with JIT toggled on
    • The DroidX keyboard does not have a user directory

3. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

4.0.6! Very exciting to see this ROM continuing to grow and improve. In my opinion and for what I need my phone to do, this is the best ROM out there. Keep it up xtr!

4. Frisco

He's keeping it going all right. He PMed me that this is "fun time" for him, developing this ROM. It sounds like a labor of love, and we Eris rooters get the benefits of it.

5. shaggylouie

Serious benefits. I'm glad he's enjoying this - he's putting out great work. And thanks to you too Frisco - your xtr replies are always very helpful.

Are you still testing kaos 27? I ran that and v29 for a couple of days - very nice ROM as well. But still xtr is my preference.

6. Frisco

This morning I committed to a full week of running Kaos Froyo v27; previous test runs were for two or three days, four once I think, before I'd scurry back to my good ole xtrROM 3.0.3.

I've honed Kaos down pretty well to my liking (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/152419-fast-crispy-froyo-settings.html) and now want to more thoroughly take notes on battery life, heat, stability and over all user impressions.

7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

V30 is now out, of course... I skipped 29 myself, but will try flashing 30 in a few minutes.

8. shaggylouie

Please let us know what you find different with v30. Kaos has been looking nice lately. xtrROM always, but kaos = good :)

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Well, here is the changelog:

- Gmail is improved. If you installed the new Google Voice actions you probably saw this, but the best is that the message headers "snap" to the top of the screen as you scroll through a long message, and the header has a Star control and a reply control, making it much easier to do both (and both of which I do often, so I like it.)

- I just set the Autokiller settings to Strict; we'll see how things go. I have noticed so far, though, that when you press home or back in an app, you are back home in an instant.

- I never had a problem with auto-backlight, but we'll see if there is anything better.

I did not wipe data when I updated, and so far, things seem fine. I'm ready to wipe and reinstall if I need to, though.

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

OMG, it is FAST!

11. LED

LED Well-Known Member

^ Nice... I'll be flashing this tonight. did you have MMS issues doogald?

12. LED

LED Well-Known Member

You might want to abort and run v30 for a full week... appears to be a significant upgrade.

13. Frisco

It appears that way; I was looking at the change log, along with the known issues.

Just the "Updated to latest framework(CM6-RC3)" alone is significant, along with, "Updated libs(CM6/AOSP)."

Just my luck Kaos sprung that on me right when I had my v27 all cooled out. ;)

14. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

In my life I have received about four MMS messages. I'll tell you at some point in the next few years. ;)

At some point I'll have my son send me a picture tonight.

15. kevhow

kevhow Well-Known Member

I'm at work right now where I can't view XDA. Does anyone know if V30 of kaosfroyo is a full wipe update?

And if it's not a full wipe, does that mean I can just flash it right on top of what I have and it won't mess with my apps, homescreens, etc?

16. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Apparently no wipe is needed (Frisco did not wipe), however, some people over on xda say to do dalvik, if not a factory.

Yes, you can just flash on top.

17. Frisco

I have always wiped factory, dalvik and sd:ext.

This time I wanted to try a non-wipe upgrade, so I did a nand backup and let it fly from v27 to v30.

It's running great.

18. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I also flashed on top of V28 with only a Dalvik wipe. Everything is fine. I did a Titanium backup ahead of time just to make sure, but I didn't need it.

19. Frisco

Heh.. we've hijacked this fine xtrROM thread in the direction of Kaos.

That could lead to chaos. lol

20. LED

LED Well-Known Member

^ Haha good one.

21. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

I'm using 4.0.6 now and the Gmail is syncing. Thank goodness for that. Everything else is working smoothly and I'm having fun testing this ROM out.

22. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Hey, Frisco, quick question for you..

If I want to flash v30 coming from stock 2.1 do I have to wipe first or can I just D/L, do a nandroid backup, then flash over 2.1? I just rooted 2 days ago and I'm finally ready to take the dive into custom ROM's, so be gentle ;) Thanks in advance :D

23. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Don't wipe before the Nandroid backup (assuming that you want to save the state of the ROM that you are running now.)

Whenever you switch to a different ROM, this is what I do:

- Nandroid backup of current
    - Wipe. I usually wipe ext (if I have an external partition), dalvik, and factory reset, but really the Dalvik is done when you do a factory reset wipe anyway.
    - Flash the new ROM.
    - Reboot and start setting up the new ROM.

Read the instructions for the ROM carefully. Some require a flash of other modules after you flash the ROM itself. For example, many ROMs ship without the Google apps (Gmail, Maps, Market, etc.), and provide a separate download to flash after the flash of the ROM. CELB Froyo is an example of a ROM that does this.

You'll find the downloads and instructions for ROMs here: Droid Eris Android Development - xda-developers

WormDoes likes this.
  24. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Thank you, dooglad. I noticed that about flashing other modules on some ROM's. I'm gona try this out when I get home from work.

25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide