xtrSense to xtrROM

Last Updated:

1. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently running xtrsense but am curious about xtrrom and some of the extra features that it has (ie. live wallpapers). I'm currently running a2sd and cache2sd and wondering if all my apps and associated data will still be there and accessible once I run the gscript to turn their features on in xtrROM after wiping my phone and installing? Or should I turn a2sd and cache2sd off while still running Sense so that everything comes back to the phone's internal memory, back them up with Titanium, and turn apps and cache2sd back on once I do the ROM switch? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I have tried updating to a new version of xtrROM with apps still in SD and it was bootlooping for me. Wiping SD and restoring with Titanium worked perfectly.

Here is what I would do:

- try it. Do a data wipe, don't wipe ext, and flash xtrROM. Don't reinstall any apps - just run the gscript to install apps2d and see if it recognizes your apps on reboot.

- if that doesn't work, wipe ext, install the ROM. Activate apps2sd from gscript. Install Titanium, the restore your apps (so they will all go right to SD.) This is how I installed xtrROM 4.0.6.1 myself last week, and it worked just fine.

greenmunky likes this.
  3. greenmunky

Will wiping ext wipe my whole SD card? Cause if I back up my SD card on my computer and copy it back once I install the new ROM, won't that copy the previous ext back to the card? Would it simply be better to turn a2sd and cache2sd off and reboot prior to wiping and flashing?

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

No, wiping won't wipe your entire SD card, it will only wipe the portion where apps are stored (the Ext partition).

No, backing your SD card data to your computer and then back again does not copy the Ext partition. You can think of those as two separate spaces that don't talk to each other at all. Your computer cannot 'see' the Ext partition. The apps2sd partition of the card does not interact with the 'regular' part of the card at all.

greenmunky likes this.
  5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

To add to the previous reply, unless you repartition the card (and doing so would be unnecessary), you will not lose anything on the "regular" part of your SD card (the part that is FAT32 formatted and that can be seen with your computer.) You can actually do what you say, which will effectively wipe the ext partition of apps and dalvik cache, though it may save time to just leave it as is and wipe ext.

Oh, by the way, when you do a Nandroid backup of xtrSENSE before you flash, if you have left apps on the SD card, you should do that Nandroid+ext backup. This will allow you to restore both xtrSENSE to internal memory plus your apps (and Dalvik, though that is less critical) to the SD card.

6. greenmunky

Thank you very much, the ROM transition went quite smoothly. The only issue I'm having now is that when I press Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync I get a force close every time. Is there something I can do to fix this? Seems like something that I'd like to have continued access to.

7. Podivin

I can only think of two things to try
    1) Go to menu > settings > applications. Check 'accounts and sync settings' to see if any of the 'Clear xxx' buttons are active. If so clear whatever you can then see if that helps. On my phone none of the buttons are active, so I'm thinking this probably won't work.

2) A complete reinstall of the ROM, but wipe all of factory, dalvik and ext before you flash the ROM. I'm assuming that you did NOT wipe the ext when your first loaded this ROM.

Edit: I thought of a 3rd thiing to try - the ever popular factory reset. I believe I'd try this before flashing the ROM again.

8. greenmunky

1) When I go to menu > settings > applications the only options I see are Unknown Sources (checked), Manage applications, Running services, and Development... no check "accounts and sync settings.":confused:

2) Haven't tried reinstalling yet but I DID wipe dalvik, the ext and did a factory wipe prior to installing the new ROM.

3) Won't doing a factory reset essentially uninstall the ROM and take me back to "factory" settings? Sorry if this is a noobish question but I've never done one.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Great info!

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I never had that problem myself. In addition to the previous reply, one more thing that you could try is to reflash the ROM without wiping data first. (Wipe Dalvik, though.) It would be worth a try.

One thing, though: if you did a Titanium Restore and include system data in that restore, it could be from that. You could try a factory reset wipe, restart the ROM, and this time restore only user apps and data, if you did a restore of user app + system restore. Restoring system data across different ROMs can be problematic.

11. Podivin

Yep, that's what I was thinking - but you said it better. :)

12. Podivin

1) Sorry, I left the 'manage applications' step out -that's the place to go.

2) excellent

3) Once you flash a ROM (any ROM) to your phone that, in effect, becomes the 'factory' setting. So no, doing a factory reset will not send you all the way back to 'go'. It just flushes all user data and installed apps from the current ROM, and makes it look just like it did immediately after flashing.