Yahoo - configured as IMAP, yet still not IMAP//Push??

Last Updated:

1. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Yahoo does not support IMAP, only pop3. And even then, only for premium users

3. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

and nexus one doesn't do push.

4. popophobia

popophobia New Member

No, Actually it does push for Yahoo Mail IMAP, but you need to be on 3G. It doesn't work with wifi.

5. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

The Nexus absolutely does push, and quite well.

6. mi_canuck

it does indeed do it beautifully.... however not for Yahoo... at least I don't see the option... I've got it setup and running well under IMAP... however, the email only pulls at the user defined interval... no push option that I can see.... (unlike my Outlook Exchange email account that has a distinct "push" option in the "interval" setting...)

7. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if Apple restricted Yahoo from pushing to mobile devices other than the iphone.

8. mi_canuck

perhaps... but yahoo is slowly sucking more and more... i might just end up ditching them... just use it for spam or something... i have too many accounts anyways...

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

That's what Yahoo are hoping for.

There is no conspiracy with anyone, as some comments of the guide a few posts back seem to think.

Basically, Yahoo is no longer as profitable as it was and as Microsoft's Live and Google are. So they *appear* to be throttling back on anything but web mail.

The sale of Zimbra, and ditching their Ygo! app on Jan 16th are testament to that. It also hints at why their IMAP service is so poor, and they still only offer pop for premium & desktop mail app users. IMAP requires too many server resources in their eyes.

Yahoo wont be sorry to see you close your account I'd guess. In fact they'll likely be happy to have the extra space back and reduce server load.

10. mi_canuck

well yahoo FAILED to ally themselves with anyone... it seemed as though maybe they had something going with Apple, but even that seems to have waned... frankly, they should just disappear if they're just going to sit back and take a passive approach...

11. mi_canuck

un-effing-believable... I can't even forward my yahoo mail to my gmail, without PAYING For Yahoo Plus... wtf????? that seals the deal pretty much... not gonna use yahoo at all anymore... eff-'em

12. mi_canuck

RIP Yahoo... I've converted most of what I needed (account profiles, notified personal contacts, updated mailing list preferences) to my gmail account... Any straggling SPAM can stay with yahoo.... LOL.... So liberating to move everything to my gmail anyways... Besides, with labels (and filters), it's easy manage personal, business, etc. type of emails. One less email account to worry about now. The reason I had yahoo was because it predated my gmail, so everything was already. But it was worth taking an hour to switch whatever I could think of.

GoodBYE Yahoo... don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! :D