1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo-Facebook problems

Last Updated:

1. jbeck6

jbeck6 New Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry, I searched but wasn't able to come up with anything.

I just came from a blackberry today, and one of my favorite features of the phone was that when I got a facebook notification it would consider it 'read' in my e-mail account and rather then informing me of the message through e-mail, it would inform me of a facebook message through a dedicated facebook app.

On my droid pro, it is coming through as the traditional facebook email mesage sent to yahoo, then about 10 mins later I sometimes, seems like 50% of the time, get the message in built in facebook message notifier, and sometimes get nothing at all. I have connected my facebook to the phone both through the phone's accounts as well as the facebook app. I think this notification is coming through when the yahoo account syncs, rather then when it pushes with the app.

My guess is that this has something to do with using Yahoo mail app for my e-mail, primarily because thats how the blackberry figured it out, and so it's what I'm used to. It does not list itself as an e-mail client in the 'messages' folder. I have synced the account to the droid in the account settings however. I enjoy that it pushes e-mail through this app, so I would really like to keep it.

Is there a way to have it not notify me via e-mail on the phone (while still sending an e-mail I can read when I log onto yahoo on a computer) but rather notify me through the phone's built in facebook messaging app.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

thats how facebook on a bb works... need to have email notifications in fb set up, and when the bb gets an email from fb it figures out what it is then uses the app to notify you.

android is different. where bb is push, android is poll, so the app checks your fb account every so often, then updates the app accordingly. the min time for poll is 30 minutes. and it only notifies you of messages, event invites, friend requests. NOT notifications for posts, replies, wall, etc. thats the part that sucks.

3. jbeck6

jbeck6 New Member This Topic's Starter

Darn :(

Thanks for the help though.

I know that Yahoo figured out a way to push through using their app, while if you use the regular e-mail client it is sync based. Do you know if there is an app to have facebook push at all?