Yahoo Mail App. killing my batterySupport

Last Updated:

1. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When Yahoo released its own mail app on the market I gave it a try. I have been using the native mail app. It worked fine but thought the one from Yahoo might add something to the experience. Initially it was ok. Nothing spectacular. I could access all of my folders that I couldn't do in the mail app. but otherwise it was just the same. I continued to use it though. I noticed a difference in my battery life but I added several apps during that time. It got so bad that I was charging at night and again during the day just to keep my phone alive. I uninstalled the Yahoo app and my battery went back to lasting a full day and still having charge on it when I plugged in at night the next day. I have not read of anyone else having this issue but thought I would pass my experience along.

Advertisement
  2. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

It may have something to do with how often you had it set it to update to Yahoo.I use Yahoo as my main email acct.but I don't use the new app.or any app.to communicate with Yahoo.I bookmark Yahoo email on my ph.thus I access yahoo as I would from my pc..I learned to do this yr's ago when all the problems with mobile email began.this method works well for me.
    The main draw back being I hate trying to respond to an email using the crap Hero keyboard and to some extent not all features are avail.on the mobile version of Yahoo.

3. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Yahoo mail app is supposed to be push rather than pull on the email. Better battery life. Not for me. I set the HTC mail app to pull every 4 hours and get better battery life. I was just curious if anyone else had tried the Yahoo app and how it worked for them. I was disappointed.

4. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

I use the Yahoo mail app and have not noticed a marked increase in battery use. I like it and though I can not seem to find where to change the push settings the "stock" setting has not adversely affected my battery.
    It may on some others though.

5. chris1411

chris1411 New Member

I had the same exact problem with my samsung moment. My battery life was great until I installed the Yahoo Mail app. Even when on WiFi, the battery drains like crazy. I liked the app but had to uninstall. I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this.

6. tn_outside

tn_outside Member

Yahoo mail app reduced battery life in my Samsung Epic 4G from around 30 hrs to about 12 hrs. Perhaps something could have been changed in settings to help...but my opinion is if the default install state is that screwy then the app can kiss my behind. Uninstall restored battery life to normal immediately.

And the app required 4 clicks to get a message opened. The native email program on my Epic opens a message in two clicks. The yahoo email app is just plain garbage.

7. woodsglen

woodsglen New Member

Yes.. same thing here.... i installed the yahoo mail app after the native mail app from verizon started sending ozmail....
    evidently.. yahoo has messed that up so you'll use their App...

May battery was flat out dead by 2pm... Ridiculous...

Before i got that piece of crap off my phone i sent them their "feedback"

If i have to I'll dump yahoo all together..

So.. yes, your suspicions were correct... after i uninstalled it everything is back to normal... lets see... 3:43 pm and over half charge remaining...

Yahoo mail app would have killed it long ago...

8. jlok

jlok New Member

I have experienced the same. If you need your battery to last more than 10h, DON'T install Yahoo messenger in your Droid

9. aggie82

aggie82 New Member

I had the same battery drain problem on my Samsung Transform Ultra after installing the Yahoo mail app. The phone would barely make it 20 hours, with no talk time. I have uninstalled the app and everything seems to be grand.

10. Johny451

Johny451 New Member

I had exactly the same problem. My HTC Legend battery usually lasts 2 days but when I installed the Yahoo Mail app it dropped to just 16 to 18 hours. I de-installed it and it immediately returned to 1.5 to 2 days again.