• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yahoo Mail problem SOLVED!

JujuFox

Lurker
Jun 29, 2011
After much scouring of Google and trying at least 7 different supposed fixes, restarts, etc I have found the solution!

Now I am able to send and receive emails from my Mail app for my Yahoo email account(free version not plus)! I have a HTC ThunderBolt, and like most people up until this week my Yahoo email worked fine.

Don't download the Yahoo! Mail app. Just follow the steps below!

Step 1: Go to your Account Settings
Log into your mail account on mail.yahoo.com and go to "Account Info"(under your name at the very top left of the page next to the Yahoo logo)

Step 2: Go to Asia!
Scroll down to Account Settings and click "Set language, site, and time zone". Under "Regional Site and Language" change it to "Yahoo! Asia" and hit the save button

Step 3: Options > More Options
Go back to mail.yahoo.com and on the right are links for "Mobile, Options, Help"(under the search bar). Click on "Options" for the drop down menu, and click "More Options"

Step 4: POP goes the weasel

In the left menu click the link for "POP & Forwarding". Select the radio button for "Allow your Yahoo! Mail to be POPed"

Step 5: Set up a POP mail account on your android device

Incoming mail settings
Protocol: POP Remember to set it as POP not IMAP!
Email Address: your-addy@yahoo.com
Username: your-addy@yahoo.com
Password: your password
POP server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Security type: SSL
Server Port: 995

Outgoing mail settings
Login required: check
Username: your-addy@yahoo.com
Password: your password
SMTP server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Security type: SSL
Server port: 465

Works fine if you only have one email address. But I have three and if I try to set up each, I only get the email from my default account in each. Do you know if it's possible to get my second and third addresses connected as well?

Sorry I have only one account so I really don't know how to fix your problem.

Thank you very much, JujuFox! My yahoo email stopped working yesterday June 27, 2011 for no reason and your method solved it. I tried googling "yahoo mail phone problems" and "android yahoo mail problems" and got nowhere till I hit upon this page! Thank you again!

Yep I noticed it last night too. Hopefully this problem will get resolved, but for the time being this works.

Upvote 0
Not working for me. I get to step 3 when I run into issues. There is no "POP & Forwarding" selection. What's strange is that under the Accounts option, it says, "If you want to check email from this Yahoo! Mail account in an email client like Outlook, visit "Pop & Forwarding" on the left." The logo says "Yahoo! Asia", so I know that setting was changed. I guess I'm SOL.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all those reporting back, we heard some stuff through the grapevine there have been some troubles with yahoo over the past few days but we havent been 100% sure on the cause or solution.

So if something works for someone, fell free to post -- but also feel free to post if something isnt working. The best we can do here is collaborate :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones