• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Yahoo Mail Syncing Questions

I'm a iPhone user switching over to the Incredible. Does the software allow instant push email notification with yahoo mail? I know it does for Gmail. I have Yahoo Plus ~ so that may help.

Also, within the Mail application how many accounts can you have?

Thanks

I have the Sprint Hero with Sense UI and all Android phones with Sense UI handles mail the same way. I don't use the gmail application, so I don't know much about it except that I do get instant push email notifications. I don't even have any of the google applications handle my contracts and calender - Ms Exchange handles all my contacts and calendars. I used the Data Sync options under Settings to set this up.

I have all my email accounts except for one gmail account setup thru the HTC Mail account. Thru the HTC Mail application I have a gmail account, MS Exchange account and a Yahoo account(free) setup. All those accounts I receive instant push email notifications.

One gmail account is required to register and setup your Android phone. This account will be managed by the gMail application. This is the account that your Android Market downloads are tied to (free and payed applications). This is good because if you change Android phones and register the new phone with the same gmail account as the old phone your payed applications will follow you to the new phone.

Edit: I've also read that you can have multiple Android devices tied to the same gMail account. This will come in handy when I get an Android Tablet.

Upvote 0
Unified Mailbox is pretty much a standard for Smartphones, Apple is just the first to brag about it.

In direct response to your question: The only e-mail provider that supports push delivery of e-mail to any of the Android powered devices at this point is Gmail. If you are using an Exchange server that has the Activesync with Direct-push feature enabled you will also receive instant mail delivery.

Upvote 0
I'm glad someone brought this up...
since you have Yahoo Plus, you don't have to worry about getting your email every 5 minutes.
use this setup...IMAP.MAIL.YAHOO.COM for incoming and SMTP.MAIL.YAHOO.COM for outgoing server.
Just for the sake of clarification, if Gmail and Exchange accounts are the only services which push to an Android device, what exactly would this setup achieve? The emails must still be pulled from Yahoo!, correct? They're never pushed form Yahoo!, right?

I'm very interested in purchasing an Incredible within the next few months of its release, and Android's compatibility with Yahoo! email is of great concern because I use my Yahoo! email address as my primary account. I currently use a BlackBerry and the one thing that BlackBerry does well is email. I've been spoiled on the front. From the searching that I've done here on the forums, it seems that there are quite a few issues with Yahoo!'s compatibility with email on Android devices. (Multiple copies of sent items in the sent folder, a bug which prevents you from checking your Yahoo! email via Wi-Fi connection, etc.) Although it's impossible to address any issues specific to the Incredible because the phone hasn't been released, have any of you currently using another Android device been able to use your Yahoo! email account without any major issues?

Upvote 0
I'm glad someone brought this up...

Just for the sake of clarification, if Gmail and Exchange accounts are the only services which push to an Android device, what exactly would this setup achieve? The emails must still be pulled from Yahoo!, correct? They're never pushed form Yahoo!, right?

I'm very interested in purchasing an Incredible within the next few months of its release, and Android's compatibility with Yahoo! email is of great concern because I use my Yahoo! email address as my primary account. I currently use a BlackBerry and the one thing that BlackBerry does well is email. I've been spoiled on the front. From the searching that I've done here on the forums, it seems that there are quite a few issues with Yahoo!'s compatibility with email on Android devices. (Multiple copies of sent items in the sent folder, a bug which prevents you from checking your Yahoo! email via Wi-Fi connection, etc.) Although it's impossible to address any issues specific to the Incredible because the phone hasn't been released, have any of you currently using another Android device been able to use your Yahoo! email account without any major issues?

There are a lot of ways to mess up e-mail settings on an Android device. Gmail and Exchange are the only methods of push delivery available out of the box and I believe that 2.0 is required for Exchange Direct-Push, but I'm not 100% positive about that last bit.

Any other e-mail service will be pull style, meaning you're setting up the server settings in the mail client just like you would in outlook and either hitting sync (send/receive) every so often or letting the phone do it at set intervals.

Even if a 3rd party app were written that had the client portion of a push delivery mail system you would have to have support for push delivery on the server side, and even Blackberry isn't instant push-delivery for most mail services. It is push delivery in that your phone doesn't have to waste battery checking your mailbox, but the only reason for that is because Blackberry's back end does that for you at specific intervals based on the frequency with which you receive e-mails.

Reactions: dbrits
Upvote 0
This may not be the ideal solution for some, but here is how I have my Yahoo Plus account setup. I currently have my Yahoo Plus forward all my email to my gmail account. I use the phone's built-in Gmail program for all my email. Since Gmail does a true "push," I get all my email (including Yahoo) instantly on my phone. I also have my phone setup so that when I reply to a Yahoo email, it will display my yahoo email address, even though I am technically responding through Gmail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones