Yahoo mail

Last Updated:

1. docahmed73

docahmed73 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.My captivate does not sync with my yahoo mail account when I click the email icon.I am not sure if my incoming and outgoing settings are correct..does anyone know what the right configurations are? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. vpcocco

vpcocco Member

I tried fiddling with the mail settings - as other people on the forum have - with no luck.

I ended up bypassing the email setup and downloading the Yahoo! Mail app from Marketplace. Works very well.

3. jabooh1

jabooh1 Well-Known Member

Go to the mail app and enter your email address xxx@yahoo.com and password. The click MANUAL SETUP. Enter the information below. This will sync your yahoo email, but it leaves a copy of the email on the yahoo server. I haven't found out how to make it delete from the server if you delete it on your phone yet.

Incoming Settings:
    IMAP Server: impa.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 143
    Security Type: None
    IMAP Path Prefix: Optional
    Outgoing Settings:
    SMTP Server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 587
    Security Type: None

4. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

Yahoo Mail app plain sucks!!! It takes forever to load and refresh, and it doe snot work well with Android IMHO. I am actually contemplating uninstalling it and pumping yahoo mail into gmail.

5. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Well-Known Member

I've had no problems at all with the Yahoo Mail app. It notifies me everytime a new mail arrives. I did no type of special setup.

6. beertha

beertha Active Member

I had to uninstall the Yahoo App because it was way too glitchy. These settings work great for me in the Default Email app. and yahoo loads very fast and quick- but only thru 3g not wireless (thanks to ATT agreement with Yahoo).

Manual Configuration

Select IMAP

Incoming Settings

IMAP Server: Imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 993
    Security Type: SSL
    IMAP Path Prefix: Optional

Outgoing Settings
    SMTP Server: Smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 465
    Security Type: SSL (Accept all certificates)
    Require sign in: checked
    Username: username only (no @yahoo.com)
    Password: self explanatory

Hope this helps out others who are having Yahoo mail problems. Like I said it only works on 3G so deactivate your wireless while you are setting it up.

RavenFox likes this.
  7. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

I want to second the opinion that YM app sucks badly. It makes the phone slow (even when not running), it sucks too much data in background, it is laggy and buggy.
    I kept it installed (for extremely urgent cases when I am on the go and need to check YM), but i almost never use it. It is THAT bad.
    I am hoping Yahoo keeps stats on app usage/install rate, and realizes very few people use the crapp.

8. SkiboF16

SkiboF16 Member

Beertha,
    What do you mean "thanks to ATT agreement with Yahoo"? I just switched from an iPhone to my Captivate......I had no issues accessing my yahoo email over WiFi on my iPhone......but obviously can't on my Captivate (which is the only thing I don't like about it)......my issue is that when I turn on my wireless I don't know what's happening on my Yahoo Accounts.........so much for the consolidated Inbox........WTFO?

9. SuperAkuma

SuperAkuma Well-Known Member

I had the same problem as well. Stock mail don't like wifi. The yahoo app worked ok but really slow to open the mail. Now I use k9 mail. Work a lot better and it is free.

10. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

Awesome beertha! Thanks so much for this.:D

11. androidnewbie69

androidnewbie69 Member

Im having the same problem with yahoo mail and messenger being slow, wifi or 3g, same issue. What are good substitutes for those apps?

12. Geezyray

Geezyray New Member

(SUMSUNG CAPTIVATE) Problem solved here. Had the same issue. Your incoming settings have to be completely different than your outgoing settings. With yahoo att mail, you have to do this manually of course. So, type in your username and password. Under incoming settings your pop3 server = pop.att.yahoo.com port is 995 and security type has to be SSL. NOW for outgoing settings smtp server = cwmx.com port is 25 and your security type is none. It is your choice whether you want a check mark by the require sign in everytime you log in. Here is your answer that i searched and searched for. Even Samsung Support couldn't find any answers. WOO HOO!!!!

13. Geezyray

Geezyray New Member

14. ElTigre2323

ElTigre2323 Member

That's exactly what I did.

15. tchen811

tchen811 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack the tread, but does anyone know how I can disable the notification when an old email is sync'd? My issue is that if I delete an new email within the app, I would be notified that I have another new email later (when I don't) in the notification area since it would pull in one older email to make the number of emails in the inbox to 25... It is frustrating when I see that notification and not knowning its an older email that I've read already...

Thanks in advance.

16. toawkanavngthded

toawkanavngthded Well-Known Member

hmmm i can receive mail but cant send??? i try sending mail to myself and that doesnt work... any suggestions?

17. kmac73

kmac73 New Member

This helped so much!!! I had to hard reset my Samsung Galaxy Showcase and could not figure out how to get into my yahoo account. I followed some other thread advice which was different than yours and none of theirs worked! Yours was the best! Everybody follow this advice and don't waste time with others!!!