Yay I got it Rooted, need a little hint now...

Last Updated:

1. MuGGzyX

MuGGzyX Active Member This Topic's Starter

I successfully rooted my Droid X using the z4Root app, verified it worked when I installed Adfree Android.
    I don't want to do too much indepth stuff to my phone but the main reason I rooted it was to be able to rename the bloatware Verizon put on this.
    I installed Astro and I can go to where I find the Blockbuster/Amazon/Etc files, but when I try to rename them I get an error saying I need root access to perform this function, or something similar.

What is the best way to get to these files and rename them?

Advertisement
  2. Tmose04

Tmose04 Well-Known Member

Did you get the superuser abilities? Never really used astro but try to use root explorer its in the market, and if that doesnt work you may not be rooted.

3. MuGGzyX

Well I installed Adfree and before I rooted it it popped an error saying it needed root access, after the patch it went right in and all the freeware ads are gone, so that made me think it was rooted. Oh and it created a little "Superuser" Icon in my apps.

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Try using root explorer instead, I just tried using Astro to rename the apk files and it does not seem to work.

MuGGzyX likes this.
  5. MuGGzyX

Ok it seems like I have partial root or something. When I installed and ran Root Explorer for the first time it came up and asked if I wanted to give it Root Access, so I of course said yes, then browsed to the System/App dir, but when I tried to rename the Amazon app it said the dir was Read Only. I noticed at the top there was a grey tab that said Mount R/W but it didn't do anything when I clicked it.
    Am I missing something here?

6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

As a newbie, I recommend you get started by freezing apps using titanium backup. I do. It keeps up with what I've frozen, for me, I don't need to remember or mess with changing file name. Just my .02. If your running root explorer, you're rooted. :)

Edit: also before you mess around too much with root, I'd become familiar with SBF (a way to restore your phone if you brick (phone freezes up).

MuGGzyX likes this.
  7. dhoffman1421

dhoffman1421 Well-Known Member

And get Clockwork Recovery and do a backup asap!

I just hide the bloat using LP Plus...

8. MuGGzyX

Searched for this on the market and couldn't find anything...

9. MuGGzyX

TY, I am really ONLY out to disable the ads in the free stuff, and remove the bloat that Verizon forces me to have on the phone. I don't plan on messing around with it too much beyond that.
    I am about to install this titanium backup deal and see if that helps.

10. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

heh.. That's how the root addiction starts. At least that's how it started with me. What really happens is then you try rom and themes and overclocking, etc. This is followed late nights between you and your phone. You're hooked. AdBloc is an entry drug. Don't kid yourself, bro! ;)

iresq likes this.
  11. antnyh

antnyh Well-Known Member

Try searching for"Launcher Pro" The plus is a paid version and adds some great widgets. Once you see what Launcher Pro can do you will pay for the plus version IMO. I'd also like to say, please search around and get Koush's bootstrap recovery and make a backup before you get too far.