Yay! I pre-ordered my Droid

Last Updated:

1. Wiggles

Wiggles Active Member This Topic's Starter

I went to my local best buy and preordered the phone. They actually had a demo in and it felt really solid like all the reviews said. I had one question though did anyone else who ordered at best buy get a gift certificate when they preordered?

Advertisement
  2. ZX-10R

ZX-10R Member

Will they tell you how much it will be if u use your new every 2 to upgrade? If so, i will head over there and order one also..

3. jhat3k1

jhat3k1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was told I needed to buy a $50 gift card. We'll see.

4. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member

I am guessing the answer is yes (although I am not certain). I just went to the best buy mobile website, and they have an "Upgrade Checker". I put my number in and it says I was eligible for an upgrade.

5. Lisa W

Lisa W Active Member

We just ordered two from our local Best Buy. Will be able to use a NE2 upgrade for one of them, but not the other. Best Buy would not give us the prices, however we are so excited that we'll bite the bullet whatever the cost.

6. Wiggles

Wiggles Active Member This Topic's Starter

This is to ZX and hmm im not sure I would call them up first before you do anything with that or at least talk to the mobile guy

7. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Here is to the guy with a bigger streetbike than me. :D

Best Buy doesn't honor the New Every Two plan, so don't plan on saving the money if you go there. Sorry to be the one to tell you there is no santa clause.

8. pettit03

pettit03 Active Member

I work for BBYM and we are a smaller store so when the Hero came out we got 6 in for the day of launch, for the Droid.... 25. Pretty crazy, only 3 pre-orders so far but for the iPhone 3GS I think we only have 8 or 9. so with a week to go not to bad.

9. ZX-10R

ZX-10R Member

What you ride fadelight?
    Im just gonna wait and go to the Verizon store, its not a problem and that way i can get my wifes State discount also...

10. Zippster

Zippster Member

Ya it tells you your eligible for a new phone, not that your going to get the NE2, which you wont. Checked my local BB and no go with it either, he said it was on a "store by store" basis but he didnt know of any that could or would honor it due to Verizons pricing of the phone.

11. shoresidejake

shoresidejake Member

I preordered two of them yesterday at Best Buy ($100 deposit in Gift Card form). One for me and one for my girlfriend (she's on my plan). Looking forward to the 6th! We're going to get there before the store opens to insure we get ours, get them activated and get out! :D

12. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

If you preordered from BestBuy, your name is basically on a box they receive. They are not preordering more than they will get. Now, there is no guarantee that they are getting them on 11/06 though. My Best Buy has appointments to pick up the preorder. You can't just walk in and get it. They also said it is highly unlikely they will have any available for walk ups for the first few weeks.

13. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I have a 2003 ZX6R. (636B1).

If it is any comfort, Verizon is saying they have enough stock so there should be no worries of selling out. The way I see it, if they don't have one when I go to get it on Friday, I will call Verizon and have it sent overnight so I can get it on Saturday. I'd rather have it on Friday, but at least I won't be SOL, you know?

14. dakoop

dakoop Well-Known Member

Pre Ordered mine too.

Is it Friday yet?

15. Jon Nale

What exactly does NE2 stand for and what is it?

I am due for an upgrade (I was in July), and I told the Verizon store that I was waiting for the Droid. They sent me 4 $25 pre-paid credit cards in the mail.

As long as I can get the phone for $199 at Best Buy, I will be purchasing it there. What do your circumstances have to be to qualify for getting the phone at $199?

16. elucas730

elucas730 Active Member

17. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

NE2= New Every Two or you get a discount on a new phone every two years.

18. Jon Nale

So is the NE2 $100 off a new phone, or is the NE2 = $199 Droid?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you would get the Droid for $199 if you renew your 2 year contract with Verizon (I am guessing this can be done at BB?). The NE2 is just $100 credit towards a new phone.

I was sent $100 from Verizon via mail, because I told them I was waiting for a phone to come out later that year (they sent me 4 $25 pre-paid credit cards).

19. Barbara

I am not currently a Verizon customer but based on what others have said, you get the phone for $199 after the $100 mail in rebate. In addition you get more money off depending on what plan you have. Those four pre-paid cards may have been your discount for the NE2 program.

20. Jon Nale

I was under the assumption that the phone was $199 with a 2 year contract. Most of the phones on Verizon's website are insanely expensive if you buy them without a 2 year contract (a phone will be like $499 without a contract, $99 with a 2 year contract). Now that you said this, I have no idea what the case is anymore? :confused:

21. Barbara

Sorry. You are correct. The numbers that I gave are for those choosing a two year contract. The phone actually costs a customer $299 and then they get $100 back in the form of a gift debit card after they mail in the rebate form. If you order online or order through Best Buy, you don't have to do the mail in rebate. The $100 is taken off the purchase price.

22. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Jon,
    I have been checking into this pretty hard...Below is what I found...

IF YOU ARE THE MAIN ACCOUNT HOLDER : (The first line on the account)
    1 Year into contract you can get the phone (in this case Droid) for $199 (after 100 MIR)
    2 Years into contract, you still get the phone for $199, but you can get additional savings (in your case, if they shipped you 4 $25 cards, then you could use them toward the purchase price and end up paying $99 after MIR.

IF YOU ARE A SECONDARY LINE HOLDER (like me) : (Additional line on the account)
    If you are 20 months into your contract, you can get the phone for $199 (after $100 mir).
    If you are less than 20 months into the contract, you have to pay full retail UNLESS...
    Another number on your account is up for an upgrade. You can upgrade their phone (including the $29/mo internet upgrade), then they will immediately transfer the phone (and the $29 internet) to your phone.

I have verified the "upgrade using another number's upgrade on your account" with 2 Verizon stores and a telephone rep.

I have not verified that it can be done at a Best Buy store, but I plan to check on that tomorrow.

23. Jon Nale

Awesome news. Please report back with your findings. I would have done this myself but I am currently living an hour away from home at my college. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, since I basically have an hour+ drive to get the phone next weekend.

24. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

A forum member here who works at Best Buy (Mobile) informed me that they can indeed use another phone number on the users account to upgrade, and then swap to the appropriate phone. They mentioned it would be best to have the phone that is using the upgrade present though (but not necessary)...