• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yep another gripe....

Bugzy3188

Lurker
Sep 16, 2010
I have had mixed emotions about this phone since day one seeingas I haven't actually been hands on with the evo its hard for me to say if I made the right choice. One of the deciding factors for me was that this is my first smart phone and the physical keyboard would come in handy for me. But Why why why ?!? Did they make it a left handed keyboard??? Nothin against leftys but you guys are the minority. Everytime I want to use my keyboard I have to awardly position my rght hand while holding the phone with my left and I usually end up hitting something on the screen during the process. On my old phone ...an lg rumor2 lol.. I could flip the keyb oard up in one smooth motion and I used it all the tim..now I use it so little that I'm one of the I wish it weren't there people.....it is just annoying and frankly doesn't make much sense...that seems like a huge oversight for such a top notch phone.....

Btw the horrible typing u see is a direct result of the stupid touch keyboard.....I can't type on my phone!!!

Personally, I dig the keyboard. I use swype about 80-90% of the time, but it's really nice to have the physical keyboard for longer emails and if nothing else for a nice change of pace. I guess I just like to have the option. I also have big hands, so the keyboard doesn't feel terribly awkward or overly when I use it. Of course, that's just me...

Upvote 0
Considering that leftys, such as myself, are in the extreme minority, I highly doubt that Samsung made what they consider a left-handed keyboard. My previous phone's keyboard (AT&T Tilt) slid the same way (push on the left side of screen to open). I far as I can tell, most sliders work this way. Some examples: Droid, Droid2, LG Ally, Samsung Intercept, Moto Devour.

I understand that you are saying that you can't just hold the phone in your right hand and push the right side of the screen with your thumb to open, but since most sliders don't do this, I'm sure there is some other reason why. It's certainly not to make them left-handed friendly. FWIW, I hold the phone with my right hand, since I use my left hand for inputs. Maybe they assume you are holding it in your left hand and using your right hand to use the touchscreen, so as a righty you could easily slide the phone open.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones