Yes another "swype doesn't work after 2.2" questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. geodr

geodr Member This Topic's Starter

Swype worked fine for me before I received the 2.2 update on my Droid Inc last week, but now it doesn't. I've tried the following, as recommended in many other posts:

1) uninstall and reinstall swype
    2) switch text input method to default keyboard and then back to swype
    3) hard re-set phone

and none works in restoring swype. Oddly, in the "settings/language and keyboard" menu, swype is checked as enabled, but in actuality it isn't.

Has anyone got swype to work on the Inc w/2.2, and how?

Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. Millwright1607

Millwright1607 Member

I had the same problem on my Droid Incredible and reinstalled the software and still could not get it to work. I launched Swype tutorial and when it showed how to select Swype as the default input and asked if I wanted to do it I selected yes and it started working. I'm not saying it's a working solution for everyone, but it worked for me. Good luck.

3. geodr

geodr Member This Topic's Starter

How do you launch the tutorial?

4. i2ichal2d

i2ichal2d Member

did u go to settings>keyboard & language>select swype? then go to input setting and chosing swype. If you did that and it doesnt work try another swype build, there are a few differnt ones out there.

5. graff_king

graff_king Well-Known Member

That trick not only works on swype, but also many keyboards that for some reason do not like 2.2

6. rcrott1

rcrott1 Well-Known Member

As this is a question in regards to the DInc, i moved this to the support and troubleshooting section for the incredible section of the forum as you will get better exposure and results there.

7. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

I uninstalled and reinstalled Swype from a fresh download after the OTA update, but haven't done a hard reset. Swype works most of the time, but once a day or so I lose the ability to "swipe" with it (i.e. it just works like a normal keyboard) unless I select another input method and then go back to Swype. Anybody found a fix for this? I'd hate to do a hard reset just for that unless it has been confirmed to solve this particular problem.

Edited to add: According to the Swype forum, this is a known problem that they are working on. Doesn't look like a hard reset will help - if I'm interpreting things right, it has something to do with the way Froyo manages memory.

MikiBee and alecks2217 like this.
  8. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

Oh this is good info. I've been uninstalling and re-downloading Swype. Now all I have to do is toggle Input Methods! Thanks!!!

9. parkschr

parkschr Well-Known Member

Someone gave me this link. I tried it and it fixed the problem. I have not had a problem yet.

10. Bobkaron

Bobkaron Member

Same here. Multiple times a day have to switch back to default ten back to swype input in order to get back swiping ability.

11. rcrott1

rcrott1 Well-Known Member

Please remember that posting links to downloads for swype are not allowed, as swype is a CLOSED BETA program, and only downloads from Swype | Text Input for Screens are LEGAL.

12. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

There is a version available with the Microphone now. It was actually built for the EVO but works fine on the Incredible. I have not had any issues with it not working one I re-installed it.

13. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Got an email this AM with a link for an updated Swype beta. It's working fine so far, but it'll take a few days to really tell.

14. sO9ovZNQyyPB

sO9ovZNQyyPB New Member

I installed swype on my evo and selected swype in the keyboard setting but there is no swype option in input?

15. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Updated my beta this morning and so far haven't had any issues. Hooray!

16. dumluk2002

dumluk2002 Active Member

Could not get it to work on my Droid after the update. Did all the suggestions.. still nothing.......gave up until fixed.

17. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

The update worked OK for me until I rebooted for bump charging this morning...same old problem. :(

18. theslik1

theslik1 Well-Known Member

I'm running the update also and so far no issues.

19. Echo17121

Echo17121 Well-Known Member

Same here friend.