Yes, finally, a music app I like!

Last Updated:

1. MissionCommander

MissionCommander Member This Topic's Starter

After several months of searching for a decent music player, I have finally found an app that I like and would strongly recommend. The name of the app is Poweramp. Its the only app similar to itunes in the market. I love it!!

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I have not used this app myself. I am merely posting a link on the OP's behalf so others may easily find it.

GMB

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]PowerAMP Music Player (Trial)
    by Max MP
    >250,000 downloads, 16076 ratings (4.6 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

3. jcash3

jcash3 Well-Known Member

I used it for a while, but when the trial ended I uninstalled it. Also, every time I connected my head phones it would start playing music over whatever I was actually trying to listen to. I couldn't find the setting to turn autoplay off...

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

I liked Poweramp, but it started to play half a song then go to the next song. Also kept rescanning my sd card to "update galaxy s folders" for no reason I could see. Uninstalled.

5. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member

Actually bTunes is just like iTunes. I usually use Mixzing though since it's like Pandora of your own music collection.

6. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Power amp is the only app I have found so far that I REALLY like....so I agree with the OP :)

7. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I absolutely hated that feature and also couldn't find the setting to disable it which is why I also uninstalled it. I also didn't like the controls for moving through your library. I currently use 3 and I like it but I would love to have the EQ feature of Power Amp.

I'm going to try Mixzing since I've seen several people say they like that one.

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The option to cancel automatic play upon plugging in headphones is right where you would expect it to be:

settings, headset options, 'resume on headset connection'

PowerAMP is great, but some of the default settings just need to be tweaked. That being said, I use the default music app because it's lighter and very easy to navigate (and control while driving :D)

G.Armour and jcash3 like this.
  9. MissionCommander

Bought it, tried it and I still have to recommend Poweramp. Although it isn't as similar to itunes as btunes, it has some very nice features and its free.

10. Batbriel

Batbriel Well-Known Member

I Love This App, the Only problem I ever had is that sometimes it plays ringtones, which I have in a different folder and I had Power amp to scan just a specific folder, other than that no issues

11. jcash3

jcash3 Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks, I may consider buying it now.

12. Romoko

Romoko Active Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this app. Used it while it was in trial and bought it the first day they released the full version.

13. SwallowTheTime

SwallowTheTime Active Member

I have used Mixzing before and for the past few weeks, Poweramp, because I cannot use the stock music player on my phone. It freezes the whole phone up and makes it buggy all around. I found that after a factory reset, if you never open the stock music player again, and just download a new one like PowerAmp, the phone, or at least my phone, tends to run much smoother.

The problem with PowerAmp for me is, even though I have the setting "resume music upon headphones being connected" turned OFF, when I connect my headphones, it starts up my STOCK music player, and often will play music from both the Stock Music player and PowerAmp music player at the same time, overlapping. It is irritating because I never wanted to open the stock player again after the factory reset.

Honestly I haven't found a music player that sounds as good as the stock player yet. PowerAmp isn't bad by any means, but I can't seem to get the volume or full sound that I could from the Stock player. I'm hoping that the next update fixes the music player issue so I can go back to using it.

14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I use Mixzing. With Widget Locker, Mixzing had the only widget interface I liked on the lock screen. Some were either too big, not big enough, some only had a forward button, etc.

I never tried Power Amp tho. Might just to see how the widget is. Other than that, Mixzing has been it for me. And playlist re-ording is decent with Mixzing.

15. MissionCommander

I guess what I meant is that I like the UI more than any other apps in the market. lol

16. aohus

aohus Well-Known Member

didnt like poweramp's 'autoplay' feature.

didnt like the fact that it was hard to for a lot of my albums to have the correct album art

didn't like the widget appearance, neither.

i found the cubed music player to be easiest to use, and best looking from a UI standpoint.

17. ESPforMe

ESPforMe Active Member

Yeah this is by far my favorite so far. The EQ is what does it for me. I can't not have one and this is a pretty nice one

18. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I'm using MixZing as well. Which by the way has a 10 band graphic equilizer as well.

I had the same problems with my stock music player freezing up my phone. So I froze it in TiBackUp. Problem solved.

19. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

I use nothing but PowerAmp now. After the froyo update, my music app broke, so i tried a million players and didn't like any of them. Then Winamp came out and it was the player of my dreams. BUT THEN! I discovered powerAmp. The one thing that sold me about poweramp was that in the case of 'Various Artist' albums, It will display individual song art. I have always had a pet peeve on mp3 players (like zune) and the other music apps when there is 1 album with various artists and individual song art. Other players would only show the album art for the first song in the album. PowerAmp displays them all!!!

also the equalizer is very awsome. It really makes the music sound amazing. It's a legit equalizer.

20. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

I tried it and liked it at first. I actually just use Doubletwist for the Airsync and it is pretty much a better looking stock player with an awesome lockscreen widget.

21. daddyb

daddyb New Member

PowerAmp for me, as well. I too went and paid for the app as soon as the trial period was over. COMPLETELY agree that the Equalizer is the real deal and also love the album art feature. I enjoy the "Shuffle All" and then "Shuffle Current Folder" settings.

22. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

Why not just use Winamp, it's free and been around forever. I've used winamp on my computer since 1996, they android app is great, includes a widget as well.

23. jaiotu

jaiotu Well-Known Member

Winamp is probably the best FREE music player on Android, but I still prefer Poweramp. Why? Because Poweramp allows me to control my media folders more directly then Winamp or the default music player.

I installed a RPG game to my SD card which placed a huge number of .ogg files that kept playing in both the default player and Winamp. Yes, even after trying the ".nomedia" fix.

Poweramp just looks for my music in the folders I tell it to and nowhere else. I love it. Just came off the trial period myself, so I'm heading to the Market to get the full version.:)

24. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

Same thing here. Nice armor spartan.

25. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

I recently bought power amp. I'd tried it before but was unwilling to buy what I thought I could get for free. have used winamp only on my pcs, but after adding more music to my sd card, winamp didn't see them. neither did tunewiki, 3, or both versions of the stock music player.
    only power amp has a refresh function, and to test it I added songs directly to the sd card and by bluetooth: no problem for power amp.
    sorry winamp; you're still close to my heart.