(Yes! I searched) Text via WiFi???General

1. jjr1968

jjr1968 Well-Known Member

using WiFi, can u send/receive text?

Advertisement
  2. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

I have had my mobile network turned off and still able to receive my text messages. But not entirely positive that it was through the WiFi either?
  3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

no, text is through voice network (1x) and has nothing to do with 3g or wifi
  4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Voice and text messages go through the Verizon 1x network (not wifi or 3g).

This information was given to me by Verizon tech support in response to my question about my signal switching from 3g to 1x each time I send a text.
  5. jjr1968

jjr1968 Well-Known Member

TY...I was pretty sure.
  6. MrBojenglz

MrBojenglz Well-Known Member

What about picture messages? I can't seem to download the picture until I turn on 3g. What if I'm in an area that doesn't have 3g coverage? I used to be able to download pictures on my non 3g phone. Whats the deal??
  7. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

I think pix msg's only come over 3g...not WiFi.
  8. Peaser

Peaser Well-Known Member

Pics will not send or be received with only wifi on. You havw to have mobile on.
  9. Captain Starfish

Captain Starfish Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of an application perhaps that will send text through WiFi?

I'd rather not post a new thread since this relates to it.
  10. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

textPlus...

Its not a "text" as billed by verizon, your not going to find an app for that. However this does allow you to send texts to other people. It wont use your number unfortunately, but its free.
    Captain Starfish likes this.
  11. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

maybe google voice
  12. joshuafink

joshuafink New Member

Just use the AIM app and add their cell phone number to your buddy list.
  13. korosu

korosu New Member

whatsapp messenger

what makes it different from AIM and other messengers is that login is not required, your unique id is your phone number, and it's done over data (either 3g or wifi) so unlimited free texting across carriers and even countries... i can text my friends in south korea who are using whatsapp also for free.

bad thing is that it doesn't function without wifi or 3g on, so if u have it turned off or are in an area without either then u won't receive or send texts thru the messenger.

another great thing about it is the speed and responsiveness, sending and receiving texts occur almost instantly when compared to the lengthy time it takes to send a SMS over the phone network.

my friends who use iPhone and Blackberries are all on whatsapp, so it's basically the hip new messenger to be on until the next best thing comes out. good news is that it's free for android users while iphone and bb users have to buy the app lol.