Yes of No: Verizon Equipment ProtectionGeneral

1. jetguat

jetguat Well-Known Member

I dont really ever purchase additional protection for devices or stuff at home, except for major kitchen appliances. I didnt purchase protection for my Droid Bionic. I am pretty good/safe with my stuff. I've dropped the Bionic but the case has protected it nicely. That is until I accidentally took it for a swim with me. Bye Bye Bionic.

So to keep my unlimited VzW data, I am going to purchase N3 at full retail price like many of you. Its cheaper in the long run, over the add monthly cost to move to a Share everything plan.

So after dropping $736 on the phone. What your guys views on the protection options available. (FYI I called my State farm agent, State Farm no longer allows/offers cell phone coverage/protection).

Total Equipment Coverage $8 p/month (loss, theft, damage, you name it)
    Asurion $5.18 p/month (loss, theft, damage)
    Extended Warranty $3 p/month (replacement for equipment issues)

Figuring that I will have the phone for at least two years. is it worth the $120-$200ish to protect it? Most secondary insurance is really just a money grab. But paying full price. Dang... its giving me pause...

views? Comments? :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Well, Squaretrade is a good price, but (a) it's all up front and (b) doesn't cover loss or theft. Considering the price of the phone and the value of its contents, I will get TEC on it.

Like any other insurance policy: you don't get it because it's a bargain. You buy a good one and hope you never have to use it... but if you need it and DON'T have it, what would you do THEN?
  3. jetguat

reading the TEC from the vzw site. Its got the $3 extended warranty included, which most people already get on their credit card. At least up to 1 extra year. what is the standard warranty on the Note 3. TEC also has some garbage/crap in which they can help you trouble shoot stuff. Doubt most folks on this site need that. We all help each other! So at best I was thinking the $5.18 Asurian coverage. Its got a $99 deductable, which I guess most/all plans will have.
  4. xaelith

xaelith Well-Known Member

The manufacturer's warranty ONLY covers defects (lots of dead pixels, something not working correctly out-of-the-box, etc.)

TEC covers all that, plus theft, and accidental and water damage. However, that all comes at a price: 1) the coverage is close to $10/month, 2) when you DO have to file a claim, they require a $100 deductible up-front, and 3) you're only allowed two claims within a 12-month period (manufacturing defects not included in that caveat, but Verizon is good about exchanges, so long as you can replicate the problem in-store).

The best coverage plan I've come across so far is Best Buy's Geek Squad Protection plan. it's either $170 up-front or $10/month (there's a benefit to paying all at once other than saving money in the long run, but I don't remember). It covers everything the TEC does, but there is no deductible, and I want to say there's no limit on claims either (haven't tested it out, and can't remember what they told me when I got my Photon Q; I've gotten better at protecting my devices in my "old" age, but I still tend to be accident-prone :p). One other additional bonus that I just remembered is that with GSP, you are able to get a new device in-store at the time of filing the claim; with TEC, you're required to wait for them to mail it to you (which can take up to 3 days depending on when the incident happens).
  5. rivera02

rivera02 Well-Known Member

From what I remember, the best buy coverage didn't replace lost or stolen devices.
  6. zendroid

zendroid Guest

Years ago I made the money saving choice to self insure.

It's one of the best decisions I've made. Here's a brief explanation of my personal insurance company. :)

Each month I make a "payment" into my dedicated smartphone account I've setup at my bank. Obviously each month the balance grows larger. If I don't have an accident, loss, or catastrophic event, that sum of money keeps getting larger. You'd be surprised how well this works.

In the event I do need it, there's no deductible, no hidden exclusions, plus I know the owner of the company :)

After I established this arrangement I went a full five years without needing it. Then one day I dropped and shattered my phone. Not only did I get a brand new phone for "free" there was money left over. Now that's hard to beat!
    rawhide85 likes this.
  7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Self insurance is always the best... IF you can afford both a new phone fund and an insurance fund :)
    KOLIO likes this.
  8. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Well-Known Member

I tend to drowned phones about once every 14 months. I use the Asurion insurance, $100 deductible, and have had no issues. I have also tried 3rd party insurance and gotten the screw.
  9. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I usually skip the extended warranty, my credit card covers me there. I chose insurance through Verizon for a couple of reasons:
    1. Coverage limits much higher. If you are a klutz with your phone, assurion coverage is good for three full phone replacements. Most third party insurance is only good for one.
    2. Covers loss and theft.
    3. I usually don't carry insurance the full 2 years. After a while, the difference between buying a comparably specd phone off eBay or Craigslist or swappa, or repair parts to fix damage myself, and the deductible are no longer wide enough to justify insurance. So I cancel it when that happens and self insure from that point on. Usually happens Around the 1 year mark. The third party plans are all up front, so you don't have that option.
  10. TulsaTime

TulsaTime Well-Known Member

I plan to carry the TEC. I kept it on my current razr maxx and never needed it till about a month ago when I dropped the phone out of my pocket in my car and shut it in the car door before I realized it. Had a new phone from Asurion within 24 hours no questions asked. It was a great experience, even with the $100 deductible. I plan to sell that phone now when I get my N3
  11. jetguat

Exactly what I was gonna do. Use my credit card for extended warranty. So that's the two years there. Use the Asurion to $5.18 p/month from Verizon. It helps that your can cancel whenever. So like you once its closer to time for a new phone, will likely just drop the coverage.

Don't normally do extended protection. But paying full price on my white N3 coming, I guess I wanted protection from myself or my kids accidents.