• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Yes Solved] Is there a way to reboot EVO using hard buttons only?

Roymus

Jul 18, 2010
Occasionally my EVO will lock up when using the handsfree bluetooth calling feature in my Cadillac CTS. I can't tell whether this is a problem with the phone or Caddy's Bluetooth implementation, but it's only a minor annoyance now (the lockup typically happens if I receive another call while on a call...this has always been a problem in the CTS although it's never locked up my Palm Pre). In any case, I have to wait a minute or so for the phone to "unlock" itself...the screen will be frozen and unresponsive, even though you can still receive calls. Pressing the Power button will bring up the poweroff dialog, but you can't select anything. I was wondering if there was a way to reboot the phone by pressing a combination of hard buttons (volume + power)...otherwise the only other way is to remove the case and pull the battery (not recommended while driving!). Other than that, the Evo has been pretty much flawless, and I'm not missing much about my Pre. Thanks!

Occasionally my EVO will lock up when using the handsfree bluetooth calling feature in my Cadillac CTS. I can't tell whether this is a problem with the phone or Caddy's Bluetooth implementation, but it's only a minor annoyance now (the lockup typically happens if I receive another call while on a call...this has always been a problem in the CTS although it's never locked up my Palm Pre). In any case, I have to wait a minute or so for the phone to "unlock" itself...the screen will be frozen and unresponsive, even though you can still receive calls. Pressing the Power button will bring up the poweroff dialog, but you can't select anything. I was wondering if there was a way to reboot the phone by pressing a combination of hard buttons (volume + power)...otherwise the only other way is to remove the case and pull the battery (not recommended while driving!). Other than that, the Evo has been pretty much flawless, and I'm not missing much about my Pre. Thanks!

Volume down + Volume up + Power button.

Reactions: talz13 and ZNA03
Upvote 0
This could be very helpful. I had what looked to be a very hard freeze while running fresh 0.5.3, couldn't turn the phone on or off with the power button, and my seidio battery cover is a ROYAL PAIN to remove from the phone (I had to pry it out with a nail file!), so battery pull is not something I want to do again!

Upvote 0
This could be very helpful. I had what looked to be a very hard freeze while running fresh 0.5.3, couldn't turn the phone on or off with the power button, and my seidio battery cover is a ROYAL PAIN to remove from the phone (I had to pry it out with a nail file!), so battery pull is not something I want to do again!

what the heck are you doing with 0.5.3?
we're at 3.1.0.1 !!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones