• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Yet another battery question...but I'm desperate

Roymus

Jul 18, 2010
Evo running Fresh 3.3 with netarchy 4.1.9 cfs. HORRIBLE battery life in use. In general, I can count on 2-3 hours of life if I'm actually using the phone (calls, text, web browsing, video). I really can't figure out how so many people on here seem to get significantly better life...I see so many posts indicating 8 to 16 hours between charges...how is this possible?

Here's what I've tried so far:

I use Bluetooth (handsfree car link), 4G (Atlanta area, decent coverage), and GPS services. I realize I can get better life if I turn all of these off, but if I do that I'm pretty much negating why I bought the phone in the first place. So, please don't recommend I turn these off...I'd rather carry around additional chargers and/or buy an extended battery. However, my feeling is that the stock battery should be able to do at least a reasonable job with all these services on...and I see posts from many others that would seem to bear that out.

I've tried JuiceDefender, didn't get the sense there was much difference and the phone seemed laggy. But, I have to say this app has the most confusing interface ever devised, so I have no idea if it was set up correctly. Are there other battery saver apps that are worth investigating? Any experience with batteryfu?

I'm currently using SetCPU with no profiles set to overclock (1.19mHz) and underclock (128mHz). I noticed that if the governor is set to ondemand the battery drain is criminal; I'm currently trying the conservative setting. Seems to help although I've noticed some lagginess...not enough to discontinue though. Any opinions on this? Should I quit overclocking? I have to say the netarchy kernel itself seems to account for most of the speed gains...not sure if a less than 20% overclock is worth it if the battery suffers.

Thanks for the help as always...

Evo running Fresh 3.3 with netarchy 4.1.9 cfs. HORRIBLE battery life in use. In general, I can count on 2-3 hours of life if I'm actually using the phone (calls, text, web browsing, video). I really can't figure out how so many people on here seem to get significantly better life...I see so many posts indicating 8 to 16 hours between charges...how is this possible?

Here's what I've tried so far:

I use Bluetooth (handsfree car link), 4G (Atlanta area, decent coverage), and GPS services. I realize I can get better life if I turn all of these off, but if I do that I'm pretty much negating why I bought the phone in the first place. So, please don't recommend I turn these off...I'd rather carry around additional chargers and/or buy an extended battery. However, my feeling is that the stock battery should be able to do at least a reasonable job with all these services on...and I see posts from many others that would seem to bear that out.

I've tried JuiceDefender, didn't get the sense there was much difference and the phone seemed laggy. But, I have to say this app has the most confusing interface ever devised, so I have no idea if it was set up correctly. Are there other battery saver apps that are worth investigating? Any experience with batteryfu?

I'm currently using SetCPU with no profiles set to overclock (1.19mHz) and underclock (128mHz). I noticed that if the governor is set to ondemand the battery drain is criminal; I'm currently trying the conservative setting. Seems to help although I've noticed some lagginess...not enough to discontinue though. Any opinions on this? Should I quit overclocking? I have to say the netarchy kernel itself seems to account for most of the speed gains...not sure if a less than 20% overclock is worth it if the battery suffers.

Thanks for the help as always...

Overclocking will always have an impact on your battery life regardless of the speed u have ur cpu set to.I suggest you set your profile to 245min/998max and go from there.Other options you have is try a different Kernel or can do what many of us did,get a bigger battery and you will never complain again about having bad battery life.

The fact that plenty of people are getting amazing battery life with the same ROM-Kernel combination that you have does not necessarily mean that you will get the same results,every phone behaves different,the EVO is been proven to suffer from this more than any other phone.

Upvote 0
The fact that plenty of people are getting amazing battery life with the same ROM-Kernel combination that you have does not necessarily mean that you will get the same results,every phone behaves different,the EVO is been proven to suffer from this more than any other phone.

While my battery life isn't nearly as bad as what the OP is describing, it has dropped dramatically with little or no change to my set up.. I was going on 2 days without a charge on Fresh 3.3 and Kings #10, then on the next charge it went back to the normal drain (approx. 18 hours). I still can't figure how to get it back to where it was going on 2 days--all with the same usage levels. I've even wiped and re-flashed everything while restoring apps one-by-one.. Anyway, I guess my point is that all phones act differently?? (even the same one, I presume). :mad:

Upvote 0
n00b: I ordered it from Amazon, $60. Probably horribly overpriced but like I said, I'm desperate. It seems to be selling very well so I don't expect the price to go down much or at all. Also ordered the extended battery case, but I may send that back after I try it...the phone is big enough as it is, I don't want to walk around looking like I've developed a crotch tumor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones