Yet another issue: Airplane ModeSupport

Last Updated:

1. okwriter

okwriter Member This Topic's Starter

I see where folks with other Droid phones have had this issue, but it was a new one for me today.

It's not uncommon for my cell phone not to ring all day because I work at home, and most people call my land line. But I picked it up earlier and noticed it said No Service. Yes, my service stinks at home, but I've never seen THAT!

I took it outside to try to get a signal and couldn't. I attempted to make a call anyway and it said I was in Airplane Mode. Tried repeatedly to turn it off in Settings. I'd uncheck it, go to the Home screen, go right back to Settings, and it would be checked again.

Finally had to turn the phone OFF and then turn it back ON. That worked this time, but I dread having another "issue" with this two-week-old phone. :mad:

Advertisement
  2. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 Well-Known Member

Interesting... I've had this phone since the 10th, I carry it either in a pouch or in the BodyGlove hard cover I purchased at my local US Cellular store. I don't use the belt clip with the latter, but rather, just carry it in an otherwise empty pocket. So far, to date, the phone has never gone into Airplane mode on me, but there has been more than one occasion where I've pulled it out of pocket/pouch to notice that the display was on and the screen lock was disengaged. I have no idea how that happened, but can see where the phone could "pocket dial" itself into Airplane Mode.

okwriter likes this.
  3. okwriter

okwriter Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, Rob. I'm not buying that theory in my case because when the phone isn't in my hands, it is laying on a flat surface. It isn't in a holder or container or pouch of any kind... ???

I know someone who works customer service for Sprint. She says they've had to replace quite a few Droid phones for the Airplane Mode issue. It hasn't happened to me again (yet), so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.

Is there a place to report issues directly to developers? The randomly launching Search feature is driving me nuts!

4. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 Well-Known Member

Okwriter, I am going to guess that the four buttons (Menu, Home, Back, and Search) are extensions of the phone's screen, just painted black for aesthetics. I'm also going to guess that this corner of the screen is, for some reason, extra sensitive.

I've experienced the Search issue, but only a couple of times so far, and in each case, my hand was in close proximity to that button.

I'm not sure if there is a link on Samsung's web site.

5. chitownpaul

chitownpaul New Member

I too have gotten the airplane mode. wasnt even touching the phone! just picked it up and no longer could dial. kept saying turn off airplane mode. then of course I had to figure out where exactly airplane mode was (on the off button, hold it for a second and then it will give you the option) of course even turning airplane mode off didnt resolve the problem. I had to turn the phone off and back on again in order to work.