• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yet another "package file is invalid" thread

TnIan

Jul 18, 2011
I've been wrestling with this "package file is invalid" business for a while, and none of the usual tricks (clearing Market app data, wiping /cache, etc.) have worked.

In this case, Market updates for a particular app (My-Cast Weather) were failing with a "package file is invalid" error. As an experiment, I ran a TiBu backup of all my apps, deleted My-Cast, and tried downloading it from scratch. Predictably, that failed. So I tried restoring it from backup (just that one app), but after twenty minutes of watching TiBu chew on that, I force-quit & rebooted. When I launched TiBu again, My-Cast was gone entirely from my backed-up apps list.

It's got me wondering what's going on here. I know (or I've read, at least) that an invalid .apk is due to improper signing or due to a previous version being sideloaded and leaving some conflicting detritus around, but neither is the case here. Other people seem to be able to install it, so it can't be a specific signing issue. I've never installed/updated it from a source other than the Market. Did something just get corrupted with that particular app? Is that why TiBu choked on it?

Just trying to understand the problem as best as I can. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: I believe it's a /cache issue. The ROM I'm using (an IHO Cyanogenmod build) moves the dalvik-cache to the /cache partition, and if that gets so full that an .apk installer can't put the necessary stuff in dalvik-cache, you apparently get the "package file is invalid" business. It's apparently possible to put the dalvik-cache on your SD card, but short of that, you pretty much just have to get rid of some apps.

It seems loads of people have been having this issue for a while now and I'm stunned by the lack of official response to it. 3 of us in my office with HTC phones are having exactly the same problems so it seems like some kind of update bug with Market or something wrong with the OS. I cant root my phone to delete the .apk as I don't want to invalidate the warranty or stop myself being able to get it repaired as it's insured with the company I bought it from (I shouldn't have to go rooting about inside the phone to do this anyway!). Why aren't Google/Android team issuing help with it? If they are, apologies but I've searched online for ages and haven't seen anything!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones