Yet another reason we want Froyo on the Galaxy

Last Updated:

1. maurinet

maurinet Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Check it out, Google Earth for Android 2.1 and up. See the video for an overview, it's pretty cool --> Google Earth for mobile

Can't wait for GAOSP to be released!

Advertisement
  2. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

That is nice to hear, but how much memory will Google Earth eat on our Galaxy that is the question?

3. 7500

7500 Well-Known Member

256 mb ram in this phone wd have made it so much better .......is it by any chance possible to upgrade ram ??

4. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

for upgrading the RAM (in a sense) you can try enabling SWAP on the phone. Obviously, it will have to be a rooted phone and it's recommended to have a Class 6 or higher microSD card.

-chronodekar

5. Alonzzo2

Alonzzo2 Well-Known Member

Can't I enable swap on the internal memory card? how fast is it?

6. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Just for the hell of it I went looking for a class 6 sd card. The one website I was on ( it was a very short look ) only had a class 4 and I was surprised at the cost difference between that and a class 2. Is there a particular reason is HAS to be a class 6 ? I only ask because I enable swap with my current memory card. I took it out to look and see what the class was and its not on there ( leading me to believe that it might be class 1 ( if there is such a thing ). Phone appears to be working just find. Swap values are set at the stock values in Galaxo+ settings.

7. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Well, I don't use swap, but you really should get the fastest one you can afford. It's just like the difference between RAM and a normal hard drive on a computer.

RAM can get speeds of around 1Gb per second, and I'm not even talking about DDR3. You can't use normal memory effectively as RAM, as it's simply not fast enough and wouldn't speed up the system (well, you could, and it would probably speed up the system, but not by much, and only if you really needed more ram).

I never tried though, so I don't know if the difference really is worth it. My guess would be yes though.

8. 7500

7500 Well-Known Member

swaping wd adversely affect on performance , ill be upgrading to Galaxy S very soon ..
    if anyone interested in my i7500 personal message me.

9. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Futureshop seems to have a good deal on now. My wife needs a decent card too, so I might get 2.

10. chronodekar

There is a HUGE difference between the different classes of microSD cards. From the wikipedia page,

Class 2 : 16 Mbits/s
    Class 4 : 32 Mbits/s
    Class 6 : 48 Mbits/s

The whole point of enabling swap is for increased performance. That performance is obtained by faster read/write operations performed on said swap. If you use a slower than recommended class card, you won't see much of a performance improvement. And you risk slowing down your phone.

Having said that, I found class 6 cards too expensive in my neighborhood and tried swap with a class 2. There's no noticeable degradation in speed of operation, but the phone appears more stable. (without the swap, the camera app just kept crashing on me)

Others on this forum have reported noticeable improvements when using a class 6 (or higher) microSD card - and I believe them.

-chronodekar

cagefighter and Lelouch like this.
  11. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

Now all I need to do is, to search local stores and inform myself about the price range of SD cards and hope it's not really expensive.

P.S.: Also, I'm waiting for the release of GAOSP, to see the perfomance of Froyo on Galaxy

12. 7500

7500 Well-Known Member

@chronodekar
    thx for the sd related information.
    any idea which class our internal 8gb belong too ??

13. tisti

tisti Well-Known Member

Why not install the nightly builds? They are very very good as of now. You can always made a nandroid backup of your 1.6 install and revert back.

I did it a few time already.

14. Frojd

Frojd Well-Known Member

15. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

mine is 5MB/s writes and 15MB/s reads so Class4, just like the label say.

16. chronodekar

Frojd,

That's an interesting app. First I've heard of it.

However, there's a contradiction here. We're talking about the internal SD card and 2 of our members are reporting different values ?!?! Shouldn't the phone be uniform internally?

Either someone is mis-representing the values or something really odd is going on.

Puzzled,
    chronodekar

17. 7500

7500 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this app , I think it test external SD
    my result

write speed is 4mb/s
    reading speed is 11mb/s

my sd belongs to class 4 !!

not that bad......isnit

18. Frojd

Frojd Well-Known Member

I tested my internal as I don't have any external mounted. ;)

I think Andronix tested his external. It would be interesting to compare values of the internal card, see if we get the same or if there are differences between devices.

19. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

Good question. App doesn't ask you about which sd card it tests. I think it defaults to external card. I have sandisk 8gb class4.