1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

You can make phone calls on your Nexus 7Tips

1. Pandemonium2K7

Pandemonium2K7 Well-Known Member

I just found this out tonight and it works really good, I have not seen this posted anywhere on here so I figured I would share the info for those that didn't know. You need Groove ip lite free app and get a Google phone # and install Google voice, very simple and makes the Nexus even more useful. Not rooted by the way. Probably will work on rooted devices, not sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Advertisement
    EVU likes this.
  2. steveu694

steveu694 Well-Known Member

Tried. Doesn't work.
  3. Tsarli

Tsarli Well-Known Member

Yup, tried and tested. Works on my 32Gb.
  4. systemofadown

systemofadown Well-Known Member

anybody having any issues like dropped calls or no voice on either side? I got the Gvoice # a month ago but after reading into Groove & a similar app most comments were "Garbage app's" so I declined.. Would love to hear your results..
  5. spinedoc

spinedoc Well-Known Member

talkatone plus gvoice works perfectly
  6. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

GrooveIP works for me, but I don't call much. On sale for $2.49 this weekend. Takes some experimenting, lots of settings, but default works fairly well. Developer responds quickly. I follow this thread.
  7. mmoy

mmoy Well-Known Member

I use Talkatone.
  8. Xuthus

Xuthus Well-Known Member

I am part of a trial for another app that does this and have made phone calls from the tablet. If you have a WiFi only one then the phone call needs to go over WiFi rather than the mobile network so you need some kind of VOIP service of which I believe Google Voice and Skype are examples. There are bound to be others too.
  9. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

Groove IP is just fine. Whoever says it's garbage probably has a garbage phone and/or a garbage WiFi conn, or is trying to use it over 3G with no bars or 1X service. You do have to make an app-specific password if you are using 3-phase login. The pad makes a great phone!
    EVU likes this.
  10. BOBELL

BOBELL Member

I agree with you Bob Denny the app works on my nexus 7
  11. Trip9

Trip9 Active Member

Here to confirm GrooveIP lite works fine with N7 for telephone operations. GrooveIP is the easiest app to use. Note you must have your GV account set up correctly and a solid wifi link.
  12. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

GrooveIP
  13. metalbiker

metalbiker Well-Known Member

just find the app
  14. systemofadown

systemofadown Well-Known Member

cool thanks guysI'll load it up tonight and see how it works
  15. hilltoppersx

hilltoppersx New Member

anyone having problems with Talkatone or GrooveIP with the latest Jelly Bean update on the Nexus 7? My texting still works but the phone calls, they ring on my end but then disconnect and it never rings on the other end that im calling. will try a re-install next.
  16. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member

Try here - the dev is always helpful & the app is the best.
  17. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

So do you need anything other than a Google Voice #,the Groove Ip app ,and a wi-fi connection?
  18. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

Since it goes through Gvoice does that mean international calls will incur a fee?
  19. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is 2 cents/minute to e.g. France or Germany. Other countries I don't know.
    To call Europe you'd need credit in your Google Voice account. Without credit the calls will fail.
    Use this handy app to setup the account, else you'll get a nervous breakdown, LOL.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=toto.gvcredit&hl=en
  20. tcat007

I just switched to Talkatone on my N7, seem to work without echo problems. Call quality is good on wifi and 4G (I use a T-mobile wifi hotspot gizmo).

I dropped my Virgin Mobile service on my Optimus-V, which I carry in my car (as well as the hotspot device). I have GrooveIP on it and also works fine on wifi and 4G (but called people sometimes say there's a bad echo). So no cell provider other than $17.50/mo. for 4G/wifi T-mobile service, 3.5gb good for 60 days at a time.

Only thing I'd really need the phone for is making a 911 call (don't need a provider for that), or using GrooveIP if I want more privacy.
  21. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

Guess that's a no to my question. lol :)

Do those of you who make calls on your N7 use a bluetooth earpiece??or just the speaker?
  22. tcat007

That is a no, you just need GV (and GV#), GrooveIP, or you might try Talkatone (free) too, and wifi, although they do "work" on 3G and 4G. I use speakers although both work with BT.

23. Perkin

Perkin Member

This maybe a noob question but... what are the advantages of these apps over Skype?
  24. tcat007

Doesn't Skype charge for calls or have a monthly fee? I never tried it so don't know, but the others are either free or a 1 time app fee.
  25. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

Right, Skype you would have to pay for calls to regular phones. This way lets you use wifi to call anyone you want, providing you have a fairly decent wifi connection. I did the same on my Nexus (phone) when I had a bill error that left me phone-less for a week. I used GrooveIP and my GV account to make calls that way. Worked decent. TINY bit of lag that I noticed, but could've been my connection too.