You can turn off HTC Sense!

Last Updated:

1. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I never liked HTC Sense and while for many people this is a plus addition in HTC Evo for others it was just a pure pain and nonfunctional.

I am glad that I found this today, a proof that you can turn HTC Sense off and experience HTC Evo in an original Android theme.

Now HTC just give me a GSM/WCDMA version of it with Amoled display and I am sold :)

Enjoy

YouTube - HTC EVO allows you to turn off Sense UI

Advertisement
    KARbabee, jgangsta, VGPOP and 9 others like this.
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. This was one of the questions I had placed in the main EVO Speculation thread. Since I'm not familiar with Android and as much as I hate TouchFlo 3D, I was hoping you'd be able to do this in the event that I didn't like the Sense UI.

3. TuNeCedeMalis

TuNeCedeMalis Active Member

This is great news. Though I'm very eager to see what the SenseUI experience will be like, I'm happy to know that I will have the option to disable it.

4. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

Does this mean it should theoretically be easier to get a custom rom of Froyo when it comes out sans Sense?

5. ogrenator

ogrenator Well-Known Member

highly doubt it its still through htc and they seem to take a little longer.....if by custom you mean flash a whole new rom that someone cooked up? then it makes no difference what so ever...you just gotta root the bad boy

6. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

While I am most likely going to use Sense, the option is great as it appeals to everyone.

7. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

I love Sense, but I know people buy the Nexus One over the Desire because of the lack of Sense. Good to know the EVO has both!

8. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Interesting find. Surprised this is possible since the Incredible lacks the option. I was under the impression that the two phones ran basically the same OS and Sense overlay. Obviously not.

9. rockman1117

rockman1117 Well-Known Member

That's probably because Verizon is still stuck trying to lock people into certain experiences...they'll probably be a update or something in the future that will let you turn off Sense on the Incredible.

10. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Nexus one launcher as well. Nice.

11. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

To those wanting to turn off Sense? Why? Have you ever used it? It is a positive, not a negative. The animation are kickass and the widgets are 2nd to none.

When you get your EVO, use Sense for 1 week, then shut it down. You will quickly turn it back on.

12. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Sense is one of the reasons I'm interested in an HTC Android phone. Not very likely that I'm going to turn it off, but nice that I could.

13. clickclack

clickclack Well-Known Member

All about options, I'm excited to give Sense a try and will most likely stick with it but it's GREAT to have the option to turn it off.

14. apollooff320

apollooff320 Well-Known Member

you can turn off Sense on all the HTC Android phones now. I did by mistake with my HTC Hero and had to find a way to get it back. Phone is ugly with default.

15. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

Sense just adds bloat and their widgets are a battery hog.. I have used both and prefer clean stock 2.1 to Sense. So it's great that this option is being offered!

16. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

While I applaud the option, I personally like the Sense UI so when I get my EVO, in that regard, I'm leaving it as-is.

17. drexappeal

Sense's background is from TouchFlo 3D, which I can't stand. People have told me that Sense UI is WAY different, but I don't know yet because this'll be my first android phone.

I just like having the option in the event that Sense UI annoys me similarly to how TouchFlo3D started to annoy me. If it doesn't, I'll keep it on.

18. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking since it's thought that this phone will get the Froyo update some time within 6 weeks of release (mid-July). Can't see that even being a possibility unless 1) they've already been working on Froyo but just couldn't get it done by release or 2) they set it up so that Froyo and other updates could be done without conflict with Sense.

Wonder if it means turn off Sense, download Froyo, and then get Sense update from Sprint or HTC?

19. custangro

custangro Well-Known Member

Yes I have and I love it.

But it's about choice not about what's better...

I want the CHOICE :)

-C

20. ZombieRace

ZombieRace Member

Though, this video begs the question:

How do you turn it off to begin with?

VGPOP likes this.
  21. drexappeal

Judging from my past experience with TouchFlo3D, there was a radial button in the menu settings area of WinMo 6.5 that you could uncheck and TouchFlo3D would turn off. From the video, it seems like turning Sense UI off would be even easier (I'm assuming from a settings menu somewhere).

22. wndrshwzn

wndrshwzn Well-Known Member

go to youtube and look at the MANY reviews of sense ui, then look at vanilla android-its boring-lol
    ...i'll try the evo both ways, but i know for a fact that i will like sense better because the wifey has a samsung moment and i tried the hero -much more intuitive.

23. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I used Sense and Vanilla Android on my Hero and each time I went back to Sense..but, having the option makes me feel like I'm in control ;)

24. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

same way he enabled sense... hit home or whatever and then select default and choose android home

25. drexappeal

Yup. Now that most of the information has been announced, I will be looking at a lot of videos to see the difference between the two.